Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol yeah I am a mad fanatical Bombers supporter....

The Swans final had a terrible outcome for us, but it’s a really important gauge we are with that side.

The first qr impressed me though - showed we could match it with them but needed to covert all our chances & keep up the intensity.

Throw in a Stringer / Smith & Saad and Hooker and the result could easily be in our favour.

More to the point Begleys game showed me that he could stand up against one of the best teams going round and make a good contribution, beyond his years.

Just on that. We redlined it that first quarter. Couldn't have put in any more effort or eeked anything more out of the talent we had on the park. Barely scratched them and then we dropped off and they annihilated us.

Im hoping the club took out of the game that its not just a matter of improving our consistency, our top line output is also not up to scratch, especially around the ball.

The positive out of that game is you couldn't have asked for a better lesson for Begs, McGrath, Parish etc. They saw where they need to get to, the level you need to reach.

Josh Bigly

54913591.cms

Just on that. We redlined it that first quarter. Couldn't have put in any more effort or eeked anything more out of the talent we had on the park. Barely scratched them and then we dropped off and they annihilated us.

Im hoping the club took out of the game that its not just a matter of improving our consistency, our top line output is also not up to scratch, especially around the ball.

The positive out of that game is you couldn't have asked for a better lesson for Begs, McGrath, Parish etc. They saw where they need to get to, the level you need to reach.

I would argue we redlined our effort BUT we weren't at our best efficiency/ball use wise. We are capable of more than what we showed in that first quarter offensively. That said I'm not going to argue there were many positives to take out of that game full stop.

On Begley, he's got a ton of promise. Big bodied and with silky skills. I'd be backing him in over a lot of other guys if he is anywhere near the mark during the preseason. I still think there's a spot in the forward line for him if he can handle being part of the midfield rotations for a few minutes each quarter.

I think he stays at half forward for now just because of how dangerous he is around goals. Feels like every time he touched the ball he either kicks a goal or sets one up.

My dark horse for most improved player this season.
Would he be much of a dark horse though? He is one who is widely expected (amongst bomber fans at least) to come on leaps and bounds based on his very promising first few games, and his physical development (and his performance on the track this summer). More of a Palomino then ...

The kid is already up there with our best kicks in the team, just a natural footballer, extremely excited about what he can become.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i

i think we can though
as a matter of interest, i watched a replay of the 1998 QF against North the other day. We were 8th and they were 1st.
admittedly, we were a much better side than 8th, but we flogged North in the first quarter, but could not make the most of our dominance
North ended up grinding out the win, we couldn't stay with them. obviously it was a better performance than what we dished up last year, but we were quite a young side then, as now.

that team back then went on to become one of the best side of the modern era (unfulfilled premiership success notwithstanding). they became THE dominant team from basically halfway through the next season. so big leaps can occur.

we have the talent, and our age profile looks great. our forward line is very strong, as is our defence. our midfield needs to fire, and if it does, there is no reason we can't challenge next year.

i

i think we can though
as a matter of interest, i watched a replay of the 1998 QF against North the other day. We were 8th and they were 1st.
admittedly, we were a much better side than 8th, but we flogged North in the first quarter, but could not make the most of our dominance
North ended up grinding out the win, we couldn't stay with them. obviously it was a better performance than what we dished up last year, but we were quite a young side then, as now.

that team back then went on to become one of the best side of the modern era (unfulfilled premiership success notwithstanding). they became THE dominant team from basically halfway through the next season. so big leaps can occur.

we have the talent, and our age profile looks great. our forward line is very strong, as is our defence. our midfield needs to fire, and if it does, there is no reason we can't challenge next year.

Yeah my point was at that moment in time, we played at our absolute best, for one quarter and couldn't go with them. They were playing at 50% of what they were capable of. Then they put the foot down, we dropped off and it was a rout.

Our best will hopefully go up this year, as well as our ability to play at or at least near that level for longer.

Yeah my point was at that moment in time, we played at our absolute best, for one quarter and couldn't go with them. They were playing at 50% of what they were capable of. Then they put the foot down, we dropped off and it was a rout.

Our best will hopefully go up this year, as well as our ability to play at or at least near that level for longer.

This is correct, though I'd add that they weren't able to play at their best because of that early Essendon pressure and possession.

As you say though, sustaining it for longer than 30 minutes (short of being absurdly clinical ie the corresponding game in 1999) is the key.

It's amazing how people only remember the last game and they carry on as though the team that beat them in the last game could always beat them so long as they are trying.

The Swans would have flogged any other team in the finals on that day. That's not to say we were any good. We weren't. But in the following week the Swans played just as badly as we had. It wasn't because they weren't trying, they just couldn't replicate that performance again.

People act like whoever won the premiership was in fact an inevitability the whole time - their gameplan and personnel were such that it couldn't have been any other way.

But there are very few years where that is anything like the case. Us in 2000 and the dominant Geelong years could be described as inevitable (except that even then it wasn't as we were "inevitable" in 2001 and still lost it).

The more concerning aspect is that our team as a whole fell away towards the end of the year. I would like to think that was a case of the poorer fitness of the returning players who were still critical members of our team. Watson in particular was terrible at the end of the year but Colyer, Myers, Hurley, Hooker and to a lesser extent Heppell all dropped off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back