Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If Begs plays the AFL in Rd.1, we'd be looking at dropping Myers i imagine.

Reckon we're looking at a starting 22 of:
Gleeson - 2 of Hartley/Ambrose/Bags/Francis
Saad - Hurley - McKenna
Parish - Heppell - Merrett
Stringer - Daniher - Tippa
Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
TBC - Zaka - Smith
McGrath - Goddard - ?? - ??

2 spots for Myers, Colyer, Laverde, Langford, Begley

I reckon you've nailed the core of the team + the spots up for grabs. The only player i'd add as a potential would be Mutch but at this stage he is still behind those others you listed. Langford I think will be a lock at the start and given a chance to prove he deserves it.

Backline is interesting - do we drop Bags or do we go with just 2 talls which will leave us pretty exposed against taller forward lines. In fact considering we are playing Adelaide - I can't imagine that we would only play 2 talls in round 1. I'd be surprised if Ambrose was left out. A genuine shutdown player that can play on different types is needed when you look at the rest of our defense which is pretty attacking.

I reckon you've nailed the core of the team + the spots up for grabs. The only player i'd add as a potential would be Mutch but at this stage he is still behind those others you listed. Langford I think will be a lock at the start and given a chance to prove he deserves it.

Backline is interesting - do we drop Bags or do we go with just 2 talls which will leave us pretty exposed against taller forward lines. In fact considering we are playing Adelaide - I can't imagine that we would only play 2 talls in round 1. I'd be surprised if Ambrose was left out. A genuine shutdown player that can play on different types is needed when you look at the rest of our defense which is pretty attacking.
Langford and begs would be my two choices.
Laverde next in line.

The backline I think we pick on need and form. Hartley remains a good option for both spoiling and kicking out of defence
And I reckon Francis is a good shot to be playing with his skill.

If Begs plays the AFL in Rd.1, we'd be looking at dropping Myers i imagine.

Reckon we're looking at a starting 22 of:
Gleeson - 2 of Hartley/Ambrose/Bags/Francis
Saad - Hurley - McKenna
Parish - Heppell - Merrett
Stringer - Daniher - Tippa
Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
TBC - Zaka - Smith
McGrath - Goddard - ?? - ??

2 spots for Myers, Colyer, Laverde, Langford, Begley
* yes.
And about time someone lists Smith starting in the middle.

If he ends up as good as Paul Barnard I will be cheesing.

Barnard was a gun.
giphy.gif

The kid will be a 200 game player. Has all the tools to be our own Dane Swann with a better kick.

I watched his games against the GC, Freo & Swans again last night.
Holly cow this guy can play.

He is just so assured with the ball in hand, his decision making was just super - and his skills sublime.
For a guy who didn’t get it much, he had significant impact. I am
shocked just how well he played.

Massively underrated talent especially against our fancier draft picks that have so far shown only a little.

As his fitness levels grow stronger I feel he could become something special.

I hope he plays round one.

I watched his games against the GC, Freo & Swans again last night.
Holly cow this guy can play.

He is just so assured with the ball in hand, his decision making was just super - and his skills sublime.
For a guy who didn’t get it much, he had significant impact. I am
shocked just how well he played.

Massively underrated talent especially against our fancier draft picks that have so far shown only a little.

As his fitness levels grow stronger I feel he could become something special.

I hope he plays round one.
Why did you torture yourself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the first word in his username?

Lol yeah I am a mad fanatical Bombers supporter....

The Swans final had a terrible outcome for us, but it’s a really important gauge we are with that side.

The first qr impressed me though - showed we could match it with them but needed to covert all our chances & keep up the intensity.

Throw in a Stringer / Smith & Saad and Hooker and the result could easily be in our favour.

More to the point Begleys game showed me that he could stand up against one of the best teams going round and make a good contribution, beyond his years.

My boy has been super impressive. Keen to see him develop a greater midfield role (even if this means him playing a lot of reserves footy in 2018).

Can see him being a Dusty type - mid / fwd combination with power, endurance, 1v1 prowess and super damaging foot skills. Can definitely see his right boot being a significant player in our future.

My boy has been super impressive. Keen to see him develop a greater midfield role (even if this means him playing a lot of reserves footy in 2018).

Can see him being a Dusty type - mid / fwd combination with power, endurance, 1v1 prowess and super damaging foot skills. Can definitely see his right boot being a significant player in our future.
I want to see him take over from Myers once he's ready

A young midfield group of Merrett, Parish, Begley, Smith, Stringer, McGrath and Langford supporting Zaka and Heppell should set us up nicely from 2019 onwards.

Reckon we have a year of development in these guys before we hit top gear.
Smith and Stringer getting used to the group
Begley and McGrath transitioning into the middle
Langford making the jump.
Parish and Merrett continuing to improve.

I think he is going to need another season engine wise. Have to remember he did a zero pre season in his last TAC Cup year so he really has had only 1 pre season. He has the goods but I think patience is the key. Do not want any soft tissue issues from pressing him too hard. Of course he may well just be good enough to play anyway.

I think he is going to need another season engine wise. Have to remember he did a zero pre season in his last TAC Cup year so he really has had only 1 pre season. He has the goods but I think patience is the key. Do not want any soft tissue issues from pressing him too hard. Of course he may well just be good enough to play anyway.

I agree that patience is required. However Ant this guy has pushed himself so hard to go from huge suburban gun footballer to professional footballer. Aware that he was behind his peers who did at least one TAC preseason ( many did two years in the TAC) he has run his heart out pushed himself to another level.

This kid has actually run massive out of season KM's in the last few years which has turned this kid from huge heavy weight ( approx 107KG ) gun suburban footballer into a more athletic 90Kg professional footballer. This was evident with his performance on the 2km run earlier in preseason.
He is possessed this kid. I am going to back him into to become the next big thing at Bomber land. Go you good thing Big boy Begley.

No point holding him back. Hes already one of the best endurance athletes and physically ready footballers at the club. He will only stagnate if held back. If his form stacks up then we pick him at every opportunity.

Im worried what his best position will be. I know the club has big bodied onballer in their minds but he still has to prove himself in this regard. He has looked terrific in every bit of footage ive seen of him though.

We need to fast track him if anything in the hope of finding a successful big bodied onballer after the losses of guys like Jobe, Goddard, Hocking, Bird, Howlett around the contest and Myers getting on/not elite enough to maybe take us to where we want.

Im glad to hear Heppell has put on some considerable size. I was hoepful hed become the big bodied midfielder for us this year and was worried how small his waist/upperbody was getting

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back