Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, a lot of it is DNA. Begley was a good endurance athlete who just needed to lose some pounds. Others can change body shape, and it helps, but still have the underlying issue of poor genetics.....

Remember the guys you played footy with who would run crazy poor beep tests or time trials despite training as hard as others and looking as fit as anyone else?For these guys the effort required to get AFL fit is massive. For Begs, he just needed to shed the puppy fat - which he has and then some!
Explains the caravan park dentistry. He looks much more switched on for a mid role than Langers anyway, as well as being more aggressive.

Long term I see him as an obvious mid and doing a lot of grunt stuff.
But as a starting or FT mid, he is a ways off for me.

I see him playing most across HF with the occasional stints in the middle.

He has the bodyshape to be a full time grunt mid, and has the natural aggression and hunger to play this role, and he loves the contest.

But he isn’t a high possession winner and never has been.

His powerful accurate kicking skills are perhaps of greatest value to the team right now. With these he is able to turn a few touches into with goals or goal assists. Further more his will, sheer strength and size allows him to beat most opponents he plays against.

As his AFL match fitness grows, logically he will get the ball more and be vastly more suitable for a
midfield role.

I would like him to be on the ground for at least 85% of game time and average 17+ touches a game before he is considered as a serious mid. P

When you have guys like Langford and Begley, who have obvious talent both forward and midfield (I mean, c'mon, even those in the "LANGFORD HAS TO BE FORWARD" camp have to admit he has midfield talent) it's a waste to just have them playing only the one area of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm did we hire another sports scientist ?

Nah mate, just some good old Lite n' Easy like Hodgey.

4f0ca482-5916-412a-b522-50cdd15664e7.jpg

Not sure I agree with the coaches decision to rest him this week.

Don't get me wrong, Fantasia has to come back in and someone needs to make way, just don't think it should have been Begley.

I love Green, but I think Begley offers a stronger contested body and just as reliable kick on goal.

Hopefully Josh is back in the team soon!

Not sure I agree with the coaches decision to rest him this week.

Don't get me wrong, Fantasia has to come back in and someone needs to make way, just don't think it should have been Begley.

I love Green, but I think Begley offers a stronger contested body and just as reliable kick on goal.

Hopefully Josh is back in the team soon!
They're not resting him. They've dropped him. He's named in both the VFL and as an emergency.

Dropping Begley is a joke. We should be pumping games into him. The exact type of player we lack. Big, strong, aggressive and stands up in big moments. Kicked the winning goal just 2 games ago and then kicked 2 goals last week. Even in that crappy Sydney final he kicked 2 goals. Desperately unlucky to get dropped. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Fantasia struggles all day and looks clearly short of a gallop (should have had a VFL game to get some fitness/form considering the options we already had available for the small forward role).

Anyway I hope he takes Green's spot asap. Hard to believe we are playing a guy of such limited athletic ability who is a much worse kick and worse defensively ahead of such a talented 2nd year player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back