Delisted #16: Josh Begley - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropping Begley is a joke. We should be pumping games into him. The exact type of player we lack. Big, strong, aggressive and stands up in big moments. Kicked the winning goal just 2 games ago and then kicked 2 goals last week. Even in that crappy Sydney final he kicked 2 goals. Desperately unlucky to get dropped. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Fantasia struggles all day and looks clearly short of a gallop (should have had a VFL game to get some fitness/form considering the options we already had available for the small forward role).

Anyway I hope he takes Green's spot asap. Hard to believe we are playing a guy of such limited athletic ability who is a much worse kick and worse defensively ahead of such a talented 2nd year player.

It's him or Stringer it would appear.

Does the club reneg on it's investment? or back it in and leave out the next gen for now?

The club knows what its doing

Why drop him instead of Green? Begley has so much upside compared to Green, who is a known commodity and a very limited one at that. He is a strong body, a beautiful field kick and shot at goal - something we have lacked in our young players for years...now he's out of the team ffs
Green was amongst our best last week. Got to the right spots.

Dropping Begley is a joke. We should be pumping games into him. The exact type of player we lack. Big, strong, aggressive and stands up in big moments. Kicked the winning goal just 2 games ago and then kicked 2 goals last week. Even in that crappy Sydney final he kicked 2 goals. Desperately unlucky to get dropped. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Fantasia struggles all day and looks clearly short of a gallop (should have had a VFL game to get some fitness/form considering the options we already had available for the small forward role).

Anyway I hope he takes Green's spot asap. Hard to believe we are playing a guy of such limited athletic ability who is a much worse kick and worse defensively ahead of such a talented 2nd year player.

Or we could drop him back, let him play a bit of midfield VFL as he is not going to play midfield in the top side. His form has not been great. He will bounce back.

Or we could drop him back, let him play a bit of midfield VFL as he is not going to play midfield in the top side. His form has not been great. He will bounce back.

His form ain't that bad. Averaging 1.5 goals and 4 tackles per game. Not bad numbers for the 6th selected forward in a side.
If he played 22 games at that 'poor form' average he would have over 35 goals.

The midfield development doesn't seem like a priority and then he will be caught in the loop of playing midfield at VFL level and forward at AFL level which hasn't yielded many good results that i can think of. Right now he's better off just playing forward at AFL level and then maybe looking to move to the midfield in future years.

His form ain't that bad. Averaging 1.5 goals and 4 tackles per game. Not bad numbers for the 6th selected forward in a side.
If he played 22 games at that 'poor form' average he would have over 35 goals.

The midfield development doesn't seem like a priority and then he will be caught in the loop of playing midfield at VFL level and forward at AFL level which hasn't yielded many good results that i can think of. Right now he's better off just playing forward at AFL level and then maybe looking to move to the midfield in future years.

Has struggled. Yes he has kicked 3 goals but he has been missing in large parts of the games. It is easy to say "if" he keeps it up for 22 games but it does not happen. Who do you prefer , Fantasia or Begley ?

Has struggled. Yes he has kicked 3 goals but he has been missing in large parts of the games.
Don't know if I'd say struggled, but I agree that he goes missing in games; which I put down to learning.
Who do you prefer , Fantasia or Begley ?
I think most people are arguing that they'd rather Green make way for Fanta, not Begley.

I think people are losing sight of the fact that Begley was always unlikely to play many senior games this year unless he just demanded a spot. He hasn’t and that’s fine. No problem what so ever spending another year in the vfl at his age.

I get so pissed off by these decisions which are routinely made that I look at the upcoming week and am probably 60/40 wanting to win Vs a preemptive schadenfreude thinking about a loss in which we drop promising young players to persist with and bring in players who have no equivalents in any recent premiership side I can think of.

If we think that the 6th forward will win us this game we are ****ed.

I get so pissed off by these decisions which are routinely made that I look at the upcoming week and am probably 60/40 wanting to win Vs a preemptive schadenfreude thinking about a loss in which we drop promising young players to persist with and bring in players who have no equivalents in any recent premiership side I can think of.

If we think that the 6th forward will win us this game we are ******.
Josh Green is the 5th forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nup... Begley is a 19 year old kid who is promising but typically inconsistent. It would in fact send him the wrong message to gift him games after poor performances.
The situation becomes more complicated when they start running out of time like Langford. How to balance giving opportunities while holding them to a standard is a bit of a head *. The good thing is that circumstances gifted Langford a couple of early games that his form didn't actually warrant. He had a decent game followed by a bad one, in which we had a loss where the lack of midfield grunt was the main problem. We have a clear upgrade on his place in the side which actually fulfils a critical need.
If their positions were reversed and it was Langford who was the 6th forward, i might agree that we could carry him to give him a consistent run. But there is no need to do that with Begley because he is still in early development and can get a heap out of playing VFL.
Life has been made easy for the selection panel so not surprisingly they are getting it right.

I am never anything other than 100% about wanting us to win. Not sure I have a real issue with the changes this week.
Baguley comes in as there is not a need for 3 tall defenders and McNeice is still a week away.
Myers replaces Langford in the midfield.
Fantasia replaces Begley. Some arguing that he should replace Green but Green has been better and I know that Green has worked harder in the team defence than Begley who is still an L plate driver in that area. The time will come when Green is pushed out. And as you say if the 6th forward is what we are relying on then it is of no concern if it is Green or anyone. Either way we are stuffed.

I am never anything other than 100% about wanting us to win. Not sure I have a real issue with the changes this week.
Baguley comes in as there is not a need for 3 tall defenders and McNeice is still a week away.
Myers replaces Langford in the midfield.
Fantasia replaces Begley. Some arguing that he should replace Green but Green has been better and I know that Green has worked harder in the team defence than Begley who is still an L plate driver in that area. The time will come when Green is pushed out. And as you say if the 6th forward is what we are relying on then it is of no concern if it is Green or anyone. Either way we are stuffed.

Again, bringing Baguley in because there is no real need for three tall defenders. There's no real need for a small defender who has never been able to get a job done. How about bringing in someone who might be a good player?

Geelong brought Zac Guthrie and James Parsons in to play in a sudden death final against Sydney last year and we can't find it in ourselves to keep playing Begley and to throw a game to Redman in round 3 2018? There is no point at which I will accept that either Parsons or Guthrie are more advanced as players than Begley and Redman. Guthrie and Parsons are still playing this year and it's unlikely that they won't continue to play.

We're too scared to give games to kids which is hideously ironic given that we have been an irrelevant side.

Again, bringing Baguley in because there is no real need for three tall defenders. There's no real need for a small defender who has never been able to get a job done. How about bringing in someone who might be a good player?

Geelong brought Zac Guthrie and James Parsons in to play in a sudden death final against Sydney last year and we can't find it in ourselves to keep playing Begley and to throw a game to Redman in round 3 2018? There is no point at which I will accept that either Parsons or Guthrie are more advanced as players than Begley and Redman. Guthrie and Parsons are still playing this year and it's unlikely that they won't continue to play.

We're too scared to give games to kids which is hideously ironic given that we have been an irrelevant side.

His name is McNiece. He has been injured.
Begley v Baguley is not a conversation as they do not play even close to the same role in the side.
Redman maybe but has he really done enough to command a position ?

His name is McNiece. He has been injured.
Begley v Baguley is not a conversation as they do not play even close to the same role in the side.
Redman maybe but has he really done enough to command a position ?

I suspect that we are the only club that requires young players to command positions.

If we were consistently good, the position might have some merit.

I suspect that we are the only club that requires young players to command positions.

If we were consistently good, the position might have some merit.

Horse manure. Seriously the dumbest comment from a smart poster I have seen.
We will play the young blokes if they are good enough. Parish. McGrath. Daniher. Fantasia. Gleeson . Stewart. Hurley. Heppell .
Did pumping games into an inconsistent Melksham help him ?
Why are you hung up on 1 or 2 positions in the side ?

Has struggled. Yes he has kicked 3 goals but he has been missing in large parts of the games. It is easy to say "if" he keeps it up for 22 games but it does not happen. Who do you prefer , Fantasia or Begley ?

All players playing that role as small forwards go missing for parts of the game. What I like about Begley is he consistently impacts from few touches by kicking goals and is generally an excellent kick. Plus he's a big body and aggressive in a side that really lacks those traits. I reckon Begley supports Fantasia and Tippa better than Green does.

Obviously Fantasia is miles better than Begley. However obviously you know that's not my point and I want Begley in the side instead of Green, not Begley instead of Fantasia. If Fantasia is actually fit then he's close to being in our top 5 players, top 10 at worst.

This is like last year when we played guys like Howlett and Hocking instead of Begley during the season. Didn't help us come finals time as we didn't play either of those players and we could have had more games of experience into Begley. Reckon playing Green now will end up exactly the same. Made even worse by the fact that Begley didn't play at any level now because of VFL game timing. Only 1 week but its a poor outcome.

All players playing that role as small forwards go missing for parts of the game. What I like about Begley is he consistently impacts from few touches by kicking goals and is generally an excellent kick. Plus he's a big body and aggressive in a side that really lacks those traits. I reckon Begley supports Fantasia and Tippa better than Green does.

Obviously Fantasia is miles better than Begley. However obviously you know that's not my point and I want Begley in the side instead of Green, not Begley instead of Fantasia. If Fantasia is actually fit then he's close to being in our top 5 players, top 10 at worst.

This is like last year when we played guys like Howlett and Hocking instead of Begley during the season. Didn't help us come finals time as we didn't play either of those players and we could have had more games of experience into Begley. Reckon playing Green now will end up exactly the same. Made even worse by the fact that Begley didn't play at any level now because of VFL game timing. Only 1 week but its a poor outcome.

Point 1. Hocking played 1 game in round 3. Begley was in no way ready to play senior footy at that stage. He came of a very low TAC base where he had no pre season.Hocking played round 23 as a late replacement for Hooker. Begley played in that game.

Point 2 . Howlett played midfield as well. Begley still does not have the tank to be in the midfield rotations.

Point 3. Begley worked his way into the side late in the season through his ability and more consistent games in the second half of the year which is how it should be.

Point 4. Take it or leave it but Green gets a game because his efforts to apply the team defence is 100 miles in front of Begley. This is no fault of Begleys but he is a young player in his second year with only 1 full year in the TAC system. Begley will make it and I suspect he will get back into the side but right now he is one of the weaker links in our overall defence. This is not just my opinion but also the word from inside the system.

Point 5 . The games themselves. Round 1 similar with the same possessions and disposal percentage. Green 2.2 and Begley 1.2 with 1 assist. Round 2 again similar possession wise. Both kicked 2 goals. Green more tackles. One thing people notice is Green is not quick so he is often the player chasing 5 meters behind. How often is Begley seen doing that chasing ? both similar speed one working harder when the ball is going the other way.

Man you are stroppy today! Bags never got the job done? That is some serious revisionist rewriting of history there! Bags is smart, experienced and hard as nails. He knows our defence inside out. If he gets back into form he will probably make himself undroppable which could in fact become a problem given we certainly want to pass the batten to McNeice and/or Ambrose. Without the physicality of Ambrose in the side i think Bags is a great in.

Point 1. Hocking played 1 game in round 3. Begley was in no way ready to play senior footy at that stage. He came of a very low TAC base where he had no pre season.Hocking played round 23 as a late replacement for Hooker. Begley played in that game.

Point 2 . Howlett played midfield as well. Begley still does not have the tank to be in the midfield rotations.

Point 3. Begley worked his way into the side late in the season through his ability and more consistent games in the second half of the year which is how it should be.

Point 4. Take it or leave it but Green gets a game because his efforts to apply the team defence is 100 miles in front of Begley. This is no fault of Begleys but he is a young player in his second year with only 1 full year in the TAC system. Begley will make it and I suspect he will get back into the side but right now he is one of the weaker links in our overall defence. This is not just my opinion but also the word from inside the system.

Point 5 . The games themselves. Round 1 similar with the same possessions and disposal percentage. Green 2.2 and Begley 1.2 with 1 assist. Round 2 again similar possession wise. Both kicked 2 goals. Green more tackles. One thing people notice is Green is not quick so he is often the player chasing 5 meters behind. How often is Begley seen doing that chasing ? both similar speed one working harder when the ball is going the other way.
Well written post, cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back