AFLW 2018 - Round 1 - Carlton v Collingwood, 7.45pm, Fri Feb 2nd, Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed this women's league will expose the physical differences and cognitive prowess of men vs women. They are going to need a smaller ball, definitely a smaller ground and some sort of extra rules to give free-kicks easier so that they get more shots at goal. Feminists are going to be having a cry if rule changes specific to women are even hinted at. It should follow tennis, where women have more time to rest between change overs and only two set games.

And paid the same? ;)

and bringing more women into footy. Seriously 700 new female teams last year - the number effectively doubled the number of female club teams last year.

Problem is young boys football is being put at the back of the que to give the girls every opportunity.

But was poor tonight yeah? Don't you think?
It was much about last second fumbles. Honestly, Pies threw the match away with their fumbles and poor set shots. The play is definitely far more free-flowing than last year, but the composure at the critical moment stopped the scores racking up.

Said it before.....how can this continue on prime time TV. 1.5 hours of footy for 36 points to be derived.

I would rather they televised the TAC competition.

All this AFLW league is just political correctness gone wrong.

22 to 14...how can that rubbish be on prime time TV....give us a break

I think you have to give the clubs supporters more credit, you can pretty much put an AFL jumper on anyone and they will go and watch it. Change the jumper to a non AFL jumper and mums and dads only.
Brilliant work by the AFL.

Honestly speaking, it's not even a sexist thing or against women playing men's sport thing.

Look at the women's soccer (Especially our girls!), they actually look extremely professional and the level of play is decent.

Women's cricket from what I've seen is decent as well and women's basketball is actually really solid around the world.

AFLW on the other hand just looks horrible, the skills are disgusting and the scores are so low you'd think you're watching NFL as someone else pointed out above.

I'm totally fine with the competition being put on and fully embrace equality and all that but I really wish the media would stop over glorifying how 'good' it is or how 'good' the players are.

Because people tune in. There is an entire world of entertainment at your fingertips. I'm sure you can find something else to kill time.
They will not based on the low scoring crap that is continually put up.

This is prime time TV space and for people to sit and watch 22 to 14 scoreline they tune off very quickly

Watch the ratings over next few weeks drop off.

Advertisers will follow and bang of to Pay TV, mark my words.

Get TAC on and see the rapid improvement.

Honestly speaking, it's not even a sexist thing or against women playing men's sport thing.

Look at the women's soccer (Especially our girls!), they actually look extremely professional and the level of play is decent.

Women's cricket from what I've seen is decent as well and women's basketball is actually really solid around the world.

AFLW on the other hand just looks horrible, the skills are disgusting and the scores are so low you'd think you're watching NFL as someone else pointed out above.

I'm totally fine with the competition being put on and fully embrace equality and all that but I really wish the media would stop over glorifying how 'good' it is or how 'good' the players are.

Couldn’t agree more.

Problem is young boys football is being put at the back of the que to give the girls every opportunity.

Rubbish. Young boys football has never lacked for attention. Check the evidence being put out by clubs across the country - they arent stopping work with boys to switch to girls. The girls are always a new addition. Its not an either/or equation in any instance ive seen reported.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to take time.

The reality is, women's cricket has been around for quite a long time at a semi-pro level, with Australian cricket now fully professional. Women's basketball is as well.

Women's soccer is touch-and-go, but that's because you get plenty of players who are playing for multiple teams as seasons change over. You can only do that because the women's soccer seasons run at different times of the year because they are shorter.

Meanwhile, literally 18 months ago women's footy was entirely amateur. The only 'professional' exposure they got was a week leading up to an exhibition game.

Five years time, with five years of professional training and talent pathways, and the league will look far better.

It was much about last second fumbles. Honestly, Pies threw the match away with their fumbles and poor set shots. The play is definitely far more free-flowing than last year, but the composure at the critical moment stopped the scores racking up.
You just called this game Free Flowing.....
Lol.

Dont compare a first year player to one who has been in the system for 15 years either.
First year player or not, aren't they meant to be the best girls in the country? No one is saying the commentators should dig the boots in, but they could at least call it how it is. The faux hype is half the reason it's cringeworthy to watch

Rubbish. Young boys football has never lacked for attention. Check the evidence being put out by clubs across the country - they arent stopping work with boys to switch to girls. The girls are always a new addition. Its not an either/or equation in any instance ive seen reported.

Incorrect. Due to ground availability boys are being moved to ridiculously early Sunday time slots or ridiculously late. Clubs that get girls sides up get so many grants and improved facilities after years of neglect from the AFL, VFL and all football bodies below. Don’t even mention the pathway programs available to young female footballers.

You just called this game Free Flowing.....
Lol.
Did you watch it? Slowed down a bit Q3 but it was mostly end-to-end with plenty of releasing handballs from contests and some damn good midfield play, especially from Collingwood.

Why did they need to sing the national anthem at the start??

Just so overrated.

National Anthem should be reserved for ANZAC Day and the Grand Final. It's stupidly overplayed in the AFL.

First year player or not, aren't they meant to be the best girls in the country? No one is saying the commentators should dig the boots in, but they could at least call it how it is. The faux hype is half the reason it's cringeworthy to watch

commentators should be there to call the play, not to highlight errors for your entertainment. You can get plenty of that commentary from Basil and co during the main season.

I'm in no way a fan of the AFLW, bores me to tears...

BUT

Why are people bagging the commentary? How would they expect to increase viewers, young girls playing, etc if they pot them for poor skills every 4th possession?

Opinions on here are entirely different, but it's a bit silly to think professional commentators would say another negative about the game at the stage it's at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back