Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 3 - North v Carlton Good Friday Appeal Game March 29th 4:20pm AEDT (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• North by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • North by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • North by a lot

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring was fine.

I mean, it was s**t in the way that the whistle goes off too often like most of the season so far, but it was at least consistently s**t for both teams. Panicking defenders like Marchbank and the VFL Roo defenders absolutely hugging blokes out of the contest should be penalized every time though.
Nah mate - because the free kick count wasn't even it couldn't have been evenly umpired!

People that still use free kick differentials from a single game to evaluate quality of umpiring astound me - genuinely the most meaningless statistic there is

Thanks
It's been a tough start with 2 prelim finalists & the grand finalist next week.

Brisbane and Cats next
Then maybe a more winnable game vs Hawks.
Yep, draw hasn’t done you any favours. As most can see, some great young kids coming through. Love the way George goes about it, he’s a ripper. Can see the class in the others too.

Probably have gone about the rebuild the opposite way to the Blues who locked in the bigs before the smalls.

Need to work towards getting some bigs, particularly back as Pink & Corr are battlers. Need to pick up some quality KPDs over the next couple of years.

You can build a forward line around Larkey but he needs another key big to support him.

Big fella in the ruck goes about it nicely.

Do you have any young bigs that look OK?

The more I watch Carlton the more I think they’re going to win the flag.

They want for nothing and showed that they’re up for finals footy, last year.

While I agree that the whistle was blown far too often, North did themselves no favours and were so sloppy.

How hard is it to just stand still when an umpire calls “stand”? Or to not run through the mark? How hard is it to keep looking at the ball when you’re holding onto a forward? How many frees were conceded to a clumsy desperate act when Carlton had already won the ball?

I would have been furious too but not mostly at the umpires tbh.

Yep, draw hasn’t done you any favours. As most can see, some great young kids coming through. Love the way George goes about it, he’s a ripper. Can see the class in the others too.

Probably have gone about the rebuild the opposite way to the Blues who locked in the bigs before the smalls.

Need to work towards getting some bigs, particularly back as Pink & Corr are battlers. Need to pick up some quality KPDs over the next couple of years.

You can build a forward line around Larkey but he needs another key big to support him.

Big fella in the ruck goes about it nicely.

Do you have any young bigs that look OK?
We have young Will Dawson who we drafted last year pick 22 as a defender.
Very raw and probably a ways off.

I think we also going to transition Comben to be a defender as it may be easier on the body.
Not match fit yet.

Larkey definitely needs another marking threat down there to give a chop out.

If it’s all legit Carlton can definately win it. I’m convinced many of those frees paid won’t be given when they come up against the pets of the AFL in the finals (Sydney sides). I’ve seen Curnow and Mckay man handled way worse than yesterday and get nothing.

Was pretty refreshing to see a high scoring game. More goals is what we want! Stuff defence
I went to the game and it was an enjoyable day out. Far better to watch than the Freo-Crows poo-fest that came on after.

While I'm at it, all of this talk of North no longer playing on Good Friday deserves to be thrown in the bin. A large part of the game is to raise cash for the Royal Children's Hospital - which is right on the border of North Melbourne and Carlton. Happy for those teams to have the game because of this reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the game and it was an enjoyable day out. Far better to watch than the Freo-Crows poo-fest that came on after.

While I'm at it, all of this talk of North no longer playing on Good Friday deserves to be thrown in the bin. A large part of the game is to raise cash for the Royal Children's Hospital - which is right on the border of North Melbourne and Carlton. Happy for those teams to have the game because of this reason.

RCH is a statewide service. I think the game should be at the G and be match of the round.Would attract bigger crowds and raise more money.

Either do this or give nmfc a chance of winning by playing a team of similar standard.

Good to see someone gets it... $23 Million raised for sick kids, and for the second year in a row the game was a sell-out.

Yes, our onfield performances stink, but for one day the kids are the winners, and if the footy is good that's a bonus. Both clubs did everything right the in the lead up to promote the game, and spending time at the hospital or with kids. Given the geography, it feels right to stick with this combination.

While I agree that the whistle was blown far too often, North did themselves no favours and were so sloppy.

How hard is it to just stand still when an umpire calls “stand”? Or to not run through the mark? How hard is it to keep looking at the ball when you’re holding onto a forward? How many frees were conceded to a clumsy desperate act when Carlton had already won the ball?

I would have been furious too but not mostly at the umpires tbh.
Yes we are furious with all the 50-50 calls going against us. Thankfully, it made no difference to the result, and the better team won. I hate it when it's a close game and umpiring might make the difference.

They showed four of the six 50 metre penalties on afl website with Kane Cornes. Two were for not standing the mark, one for running thru the mark, and another for retaliating. Every one of those is avoidable.

Clarkson also pointed out that free kicks will be paid when the defender is basically out of position against a forward (eg running back in a panic to spoil). Our midfield made it impossible for the undermanned defence. If Carltons forward entries were to more contested situations, I'm sure there would have been less free kicks.

I'm amazed we didn't lose by 100+ points.

They umpired beautifully.

Got to keep the Carlton fans happy and the crowds coming in.

They were going to win anyway, umpires just making sure an upset doesn’t happen.

The AFL is like the WWE. Scripted garbage to keep the big clubs happy and revenue up.
The better team won build a bridge and get over it! Your team would want to show some improvement at some stage. The Roos HQ at Arden Street would make for a lovely location for a Coles or a Woolies after all! :grinv1:

Last edited:
The better team won build a bridge and get over it! Your team would want to show some improvement at some stage. The Roos HQ at Arden Street would make for a lovely location for a Coles or a Woolies after all! :grinv1:
Never said the better team didn’t win clown.

But Carlton didn’t deserve 34 free kicks and a the free ride they were given all day.

Typical mouthy Carlton flog. When was your last flag? Or did you forget how crap you were while rebuilding?

Never said the better team didn’t win clown.

But Carlton didn’t deserve 34 free kicks and a the free ride they were given all day.

Typical mouthy Carlton flog. When was your last flag? Or did you forget how crap you were while rebuilding?
I'm well aware of our problems over the past twenty or so years mate. I just don't think there's any great conspiracy here, and that the umpiring was bad for both teams.

I'm well aware of our problems over the past twenty or so years mate. I just don't think there's any great conspiracy here, and that the umpiring was bad for both teams.
There shouldn’t be 34 free kicks in total in a game, let alone for one team.

Even the most one-eyed of Carlton fans would recognise they had a great run.

Even the commentators were perplexed at the decisions going Carlton’s way.

Enjoy your next trip to Coles flog, maybe they might have a DVD of 1995 you can enjoy?

There shouldn’t be 34 free kicks in total in a game, let alone for one team.

Even the most one-eyed of Carlton fans would recognise they had a great run.

Even the commentators were perplexed at the decisions going Carlton’s way.

Enjoy your next trip to Coles flog, maybe they might have a DVD of 1995 you can enjoy?
You were overrun at midfield and of course you were going to give away frees, considering the pressure your defence was under.

The facts are that a Roos team going at full tempo, were beaten handily enough by a Carlton team that was only operating on third gear.

You were overrun at midfield and of course you were going to give away frees, considering the pressure your defence was under.

The facts are that a Roos team going at full tempo, were beaten handily enough by a Carlton team that was only operating on third gear.
There were not 34 incidents free kick worthy in that game. You are delusional if you think any differently.

The holding the ball rule was an abomination. Carlton drop it or throw it play on, North drop it or throw it free kick Carlton.

The cherry on top was the disallowed goal they deemed a throw after a Carlton had scored several of their goals from clear throws throughout the game.

Umpires gave Carlton a free ride all day and ruined the contest aspect of the game.

If North had been paid 34 free kicks in that contest Carlton fans would have been apoplectic.

Back