Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

But we dont have that culture in the AFL, and the AFLPA would kick up a major stink.

Listen to retired NBA players and they give a very different story. They got up to as much (probably more) dodgy shit, but they did so with 24 hour "minders" (not sure if private, or paid for by their teams/NBA) to make sure everything happened behind closed doors and stayed out of the public eye - and the players (for the most part) accept that big brother is always with them (and giving them plenty of leeway) but also protecting them and their (and the NBA's) image.

I understand but I’m angling more at the nurturing side of things. These are still kids we are talking about. I mean he is still on his P’s. Looking at my youngest cousins who have just got off them they seem so young. Collingwood is the biggest club in the land and these kids who come in should be shown the right way. They should be looked after as if they were everyone who supported the club’s kids. Surely we would have the personnel to direct these kids in the right way or at least red flag them if they look like swaying and requiring more attention or help like Jordan clearly does. For me it feels like a failure of the club more than Jordan’s.

But we dont have that culture in the AFL, and the AFLPA would kick up a major stink.

Listen to retired NBA players and they give a very different story. They got up to as much (probably more) dodgy shit, but they did so with 24 hour "minders" (not sure if private, or paid for by their teams/NBA) to make sure everything happened behind closed doors and stayed out of the public eye - and the players (for the most part) accept that big brother is always with them (and giving them plenty of leeway) but also protecting them and their (and the NBA's) image.

Can’t help but think how Roosy or Woosha or even Mick would have looked out for Jordan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or run away from the scene, or blame it on his dog.
A guy in West Oz tried to start a race based on the run/swim that Cousins did from the freeway RBT, across the Swan river. I think he turned up in a restaurant kitchen, shirtless and soaking wet at one point. I believe he wasn’t able to obtain permitting for his Great Race.

I understand but I’m angling more at the nurturing side of things. These are still kids we are talking about. I mean he is still on his P’s. Looking at my youngest cousins who have just got off them they seem so young. Collingwood is the biggest club in the land and these kids who come in should be shown the right way. They should be looked after as if they were everyone who supported the club’s kids. Surely we would have the personnel to direct these kids in the right way or at least red flag them if they look like swaying and requiring more attention or help like Jordan clearly does. For me it feels like a failure of the club more than Jordan’s.

But there is no way to enforce that and the AFLPA would kick up a massive stink about clubs imposing on players out of hours.
I believe that there already AFLPA rules that limit what (/if any) contact a club can have with a player in their time off.
It is also something that, even if feasible/available, Jordan could easily say no to and the club would be powerless to do anything about.
There also situations were clubs get a player to stay with a veteran or mentor to provide that more longitudinal support - again no-one has the right to mandate that.
My guess (based on last year) is that the club had already encouraged him to attend drug and alcohol counsel - like anybody, no-one (bar the court) can force you to attend, and noone but yourself can make you engage with it.

But there is no way to enforce that and the AFLPA would kick up a massive stink about clubs imposing on players out of hours.
I believe that there already AFLPA rules that limit what (/if any) contact a club can have with a player in their time off.
It is also something that, even if feasible/available, Jordan could easily say no to and the club would be powerless to do anything about.
There also situations were clubs get a player to stay with a veteran or mentor to provide that more longitudinal support - again no-one has the right to mandate that.
My guess (based on last year) is that the club had already encouraged him to attend drug and alcohol counsel - like anybody, no-one (bar the court) can force you to attend, and noone but yourself can make you engage with it.

Ok. Wow. That pretty amazing. Still the kid like dusty has an enormous talent. The pies need him to play and get shit sorted. I don’t like the idea of a wake up call basing everything is on his shoulders. I’m sure we have people trying to help him realize that but maybe these are the ones who need a firework up their backside. I don’t know maybe I’m wrong but I can’t help feeling these kids need more. The pies don’t have the best history with this and really we should have the best of the best in these areas. Maybe it’s recruiting??

I just read the club statement on this. What a crock of holier than thou tripe. The nongs who make this decisions and then write the rubbish to justify them need to come down to Earth. It's footballers we are talking about, not nuclear weapons manufacturers.
I have been a lifelong supporter, but can't see anything to support here. I'll go away and sulk for a while and hope my interest in the game is somehow rekindled before the season starts. And I was feeling so good about it too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just read the club statement on this. What a crock of holier than thou tripe. The nongs who make this decisions and then write the rubbish to justify them need to come down to Earth. It's footballers we are talking about, not nuclear weapons manufacturers.
I have been a lifelong supporter, but can't see anything to support here. I'll go away and sulk for a while and hope my interest in the game is somehow rekindled before the season starts. And I was feeling so good about it too!

Feeling the same

Anyone saying JDG shouldn't be punished by the Club because it's a police issue. What would you think if he went out and dealt ice? Or went around fighting people on the street?

Oh nah, police issue. Can't suspend him from playing sport!
Not the best argument unplugged.
Firstly you are comparing criminal offences with a traffic offence.
Secondly if we do accept your argument at what point do we decide the club has a right to intervene.
Swearing in public? Should the club get involved?
Mowing the law very early in the morning or late at night? Should the club get involved?
Downloading torrents, which is theft..a serious crime. Should the club get involved?

You see this is the problem. It's too subjective.
The club should deal with its duty and leave policing to the police.

Which is why I said the line is at a different spot. Obviously AHPRA dont care about an individual drink driving offence, however problems with substances can at some point affect your capacity, and that is when AHPRA cares (though hopefully with a lot of other steps in between).
However your workplace would also care say if you were photographed doing something dodgy while wearing your hospital ID, or if you were a known public figure and got into trouble. There have also been a number of warnings (and at least one sacking I am aware of) because of things posted on social media. (In that case, someone in a small town who posted in a public group- and a nurse rather than a doctor - nothing work related, but of enough concern that it fell seriously short of the values that the hospital & health department would be aiming for).

The line is different because of the nature (and public profile) of our job vs De Goeys.
But I think it is too complex to compartmentalise the two and just say that your private life doesnt impact on your employment.
Rightly APRHA won't care about DUI offences. They don't want to test us out of work for illicit drugs.

They see their role rightly as one of care in the workplace. They want to know of we have a drug or alcohol problems that affects our ability to work. If we are reported or self report a chain of action occurs. It based on keeping our workplace safe from our problems and caring, educating and rehabilitating.

They don't try to take a punitive approach. They keep these issues anonymous. They try to help their members get back to being safe effective healthy workers.

I don't see this happening here. This kid will be under enormous mental strain now. He will feel unsupported. He will be taken away from his work support situation. He is seen by the community as a bad person. He is seen in need of medically supervised rehab which seems out of kilter with his offence.

In many ways it's the polar opposite to the approach APRHA would take for a situation much less serious than those APRA deal with.

So when do we start treating him as a man he is and not a kid, and when does he start taking responsibility for his actions on and off the field.

It's all very disappoitning. Not sure how many chances the guy needs. Completely lacks professionalism.
Unfortunately our recruiters didn't put sufficient time in the 'character' test.

The guy needs to go regardless how good he may be. It's not just the drinking and last years event. The fact his teammate comes out a week so so ago and says he hasn't come back in the best of shape is alarming.
He's father was a ex workmates of Hine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back