Autopsy Rd 1 Blues go down by 26 in encouraging performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Those three kids you mentioned grew up with the game and were ready and showed glimpses. Their issue early was being involved enough not quality or game understanding

He is a HBF less famous version of Israel Folau and looks lost out there or when he doesn't look lost he makes the wrong decision. Do those things in the twos and learn to stamp them out.

Not IMO. To big a gap and he will learn more in seniors. Patience

Byrne is so far off ready for senior footy. Puts our players under too much pressure every time he gets the footy

I wouldn't be concerned about Byrne.
Along with Marchbank, he's clearly been asked to take the game on at all cost.
Worked great in the JLT but not so much on the main stage last night. He'll be fine.

One thing I noticed last night, I'm getting a little P****sed with Weitering dropping his shoulders every time he is beaten rather than going in for a second effort or Manning the mark straight away!
He is not the quickest player so every second for him counts, it's almost as if he has given up for a second or two - it's not a great look.

I would bring in Macreadie for Weitering next week.

I wouldn't be concerned about Byrne.
Along with Marchbank, he's clearly been asked to take the game on at all cost.
Worked great in the JLT but not so much on the main stage last night. He'll be fine.
If it's still this unsuccesful by round 3 the experiment has to end in the ones. Far too risky down there and we have options in Willo & O'shea who look like they know what they're doing waiting in the wings

Let's face reality weitering and silvagni won't make it. Yes they may have good games against average sides but are not the future against the best.
Casboult is the worst key forward to play more than 50 games at carlton. Play youth upforward, nothing to lose.
The 2015 draft year is not looking as good as it once did. Question marks over weitering, silvagni and Mckay cunningham are not being selected

Really not sure if you're taking the piss?

Weitering needs to gain some aggression to his game otherwise he won't make the most of his talent.

He is far too nice to be a KPD. Look at the bloke at the other end last night Rance. Nice fella but aggressive in the contest every time! The nice guy FB role will have 10-15 games where it falls in his lap but will still have things last night happen

I've been a big JSOS defender but he was simply woeful tonight, an absolute passenger.

Hopefully he bounces back next week but he need to find a way to make some impact on the game.

We look like we are 1 year off pushing for the 8 but I'm still encouraged by last nights effort, 8 games won is par imo
blew a chance to jump into the 8 last night

Do you think his upside is as high as Willo's?
Personally I don't & I think he is 1000x less likely to fully realise his potential that people see in him

You could well prove to be right but I think you're being harsh. It's important to remember the Irishmen develop completely differently to the other players.
With a player like Williamson you can analyse his development & establish expectation for his future. Good or bad I can't get a read on Byrne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, my take on the umpiring. Long post warning (rare for me).

Both groups of supporters are complaining about them last night, Richmonds main bitch was the 50 metre penalties but players know the rules and they were just dumb infringements and, more importantly they didn't learn.

Our complaints largely were about Jones being tunnelled, Daisy's handball and HTB.

Jones first, I didn't think he deserved a free as he went early and was out of position in both contests. I didn't believe the Richmond player looked at him and deliberately blocked, sorry guys.

Daisy, yes he handballed it but we also conveniently forget that a Richmond player (Vlaustin I think) was pinged for the same thing.

Daisy was on the boundary line, all he had to do was allow himself to be taken out because there's no way he was in a position to handball to advantage.

As one who has complained about players getting away with throwing the ball for years I welcome the crackdown on this blight on the game and if it means they miss the odd punch then I'll accept that.

The one I really hate, and it seemed to only happen to us last night, is the holding the ball rule. This is crap and needs to be only applied when a player has prior opportunity. Player takes possession and is tackled immediately, whether falling to the ground or not he is often besieged by multiple players who are intent on holding the ball in hoping for the umpire to pay HTB.

This happens many times in the game and is the main reason that we see the rolling mauls that have crept in. Most times the umpires blow the whistle and ball up until we see the umpire hesitate, and it's a bit like the old witch in the pantomimes, you see it coming and you just know that player X is the unlucky one that pays the penalty for all those previous. In many cases just plain theatre.

I believe this should be balled up very quickly, the longer you allow it the more it happens and the more mauls that ensue. A ball up, regularly, is a much better chance to open play up than an occasional free, just is not fair to the team, or player, singled out. Paying one free in twenty will not ease congestion.

Prior opportunity should be just that, if a player has had ample time to offload and is caught but gets a toenail, fingernail or just drops the ball (feigning knocked out in a tackle) he should be penalised. If he gets a genuine disposal it remains play on.

Lastly I'm not an umpire hater (although my wife would probably disagree) and I don't think umpires win or lose many games but they certainly have an impact on the spectacle.

Weitering needs to gain some aggression to his game otherwise he won't make the most of his talent.

He is far too nice to be a KPD. Look at the bloke at the other end last night Rance. Nice fella but aggressive in the contest every time! The nice guy FB role will have 10-15 games where it falls in his lap but will still have things last night happen
Rance is an athletic freak, Weitering is not. Weitering will never be able to provide the rebound or crash packing that Rance can.

He needs to model his game on a player like Darren Glass who used his positioning and smarts to become a champion full-back

If it's still this unsuccesful by round 3 the experiment has to end in the ones. Far too risky down there and we have options in Willo & O'shea who look like they know what they're doing waiting in the wings
we missed willo's steadiness and laser boot last night

I don't think I will ever be able to change it either Thy, sums them up perfectly. Fish, Rot, head......you know how it goes.
you can change it if they ever put their hand up - ie never........

Do you think his upside is as high as Willo's?

Personally I don't & I think he is 1000x less likely to fully realise his potential that people see in him

His upside isn’t as high as Charlie’s either but IMO he can be a very good HBF. He’s a kid

I hope to see Willo & Cuningham back there as well with Simmo in support

First half was high pressure football, almost finals like. A number of our boys would never have experienced that. Pressure both ways was enormous, Guys like Dow and Byrne are still learning the speed of the game, how many times did Daisy and Levi get mowed down? They won't learn that speed in the VFL.

The number of shanked kicks in the 2nd half was an indication of tired legs on both sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back