Free Agency Tom Lynch [moves to Richmond as a Restricted Free Agent]

Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly I reckon he'll end up at Richmond. Not sure what that does with regards to their salary cap. Below is what I can gather their stars being paid:

Dusty 1.2m
Cotch 800k
Reiwoldt 750k
Prestia 800k
Rance 800k

That is 38% of their salary cap on just 5 players. I'd imagine Lynch won't come any cheaper than 1.3m. That puts Richmond in a situation where they have 6 players taking up 49% of the salary cap.

Guys like Shane Edwards, Bacher Houli, Shaun Grigg, Vlaustin, Nankervis, Ellis, Grimes, Rioli, Asbury, Caddy & Lambert will want their fair share as well. Not sure how Richmond pull this one off unless it is a heavily back ended contract.

Sadly I reckon he'll end up at Richmond. Not sure what that does with regards to their salary cap. Below is what I can gather their stars being paid:

Dusty 1.2m
Cotch 800k
Reiwoldt 750k
Prestia 800k
Rance 800k

That is 38% of their salary cap on just 5 players. I'd imagine Lynch won't come any cheaper than 1.3m. That puts Richmond in a situation where they have 6 players taking up 49% of the salary cap.

Guys like Shane Edwards, Bacher Houli, Shaun Grigg, Vlaustin, Nankervis, Ellis, Grimes, Rioli, Asbury, Caddy & Lambert will want their fair share as well. Not sure how Richmond pull this one off unless it is a heavily back ended contract.

Gale was on SEN on the weekend saying we have plenty of cap space to accommodate a star while not compromising our list.

Ill back gale to do the right thing

Sure he doesn’t. Did you hear a grab that means the world to you, eh?

Yeah most did hear it were you too busy? Posting pearls of wisdom 2006 51,000 posts you must be the greatest expert around
Heard the same too from gws

4 flags in a row
Never to be equaled
Bad luck mate

Dusty 1.2m
Cotch 800k
Reiwoldt 750k
Prestia 800k
Rance 800k

Without knowing the intimates

I believe all of Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Rance and Prestia have been front end loaded. And lets be honest, we didn't really have anyone else to pay heavily during the early years of their contracts bar Lids (and I think we got Dusty cheap after the GWS stunt). On Lids, we will no longer be paying any of his $ for GWS so that will free up some space.
Add to that, Yarren will be off our books officially, I reckon whilst we still would have paid Griffths some $$, it would not have been his full contract, some some small relief there also.
I think we paid Hampson overs in his last contract as he was our only tall, he is out of contract this year, so even if he manages to stay on the list, I reckon he will come down from approx 400k to 150k plus incentives.
So if you combine those with a potential back ended contract I'm sure it can work.

No whether we actually have to worry about it is another story.

Yeah most did hear it were you too busy? Posting pearls of wisdom 2006 51,000 posts you must be the greatest expert around
Heard the same too from gws

4 flags in a row
Never to be equaled
Bad luck mate
Your desperation is showing.

Hawthorn is the last club that he’ll go to. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah.

Why would he want to go to a club that has been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century, and has the best coach in the comp by a mile.

What are you on about

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

History of Australian rules football which most conveniently forget , as they all get a bit salty

You know teams did play prior to gws

And only 1 football team ( the machine) was identified along withwomen's hockey as the only suitable teams in australia for inclusion as the best in the world

The captains pick , you should read it

History of Australian rules football which most conveniently forget , as they all get a bit salty

You know teams did play prior to gws

And only 1 football team ( the machine) was identified along withwomen's hockey as the only suitable teams in australia for inclusion as the best in the world

The captains pick , you should read it

Thats got to do with the thread?

Seems the only salt is from old timers more worried about the past than the future.

Your desperation is showing.

As is your ignorance its just a fact that can't be disputed although I'm sure you'll try lol

3 flags don't cut it mate at all as clarko , jeff and andy d knows

Like melbourne in 58 , the result well it's written in stone and no amount of "free kick hawthorn " , umpires advisors , cushy draw could get em there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats got to do with the thread?

Seems the only salt is from old timers more worried about the past than the future.

Always find that people who ignore facts are agenda based

Our hawk moderator was fuelling flames and needs to be corrected

Dusty 1.2m
Cotch 800k
Reiwoldt 750k
Prestia 800k
Rance 800k

If everyone not named there is on the base contract of $100,000 then those 11 can earn $300,000 each.

Without knowing the intimates

I believe all of Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Rance and Prestia have been front end loaded. And lets be honest, we didn't really have anyone else to pay heavily during the early years of their contracts bar Lids (and I think we got Dusty cheap after the GWS stunt). On Lids, we will no longer be paying any of his $ for GWS so that will free up some space.
Add to that, Yarren will be off our books officially, I reckon whilst we still would have paid Griffths some $$, it would not have been his full contract, some some small relief there also.
I think we paid Hampson overs in his last contract as he was our only tall, he is out of contract this year, so even if he manages to stay on the list, I reckon he will come down from approx 400k to 150k plus incentives.
So if you combine those with a potential back ended contract I'm sure it can work.

No whether we actually have to worry about it is another story.
My point wasn't how can Richmond afford him in their salary cap, it is more along the lines of what impact does it have if 6 players are taking 50% of the available cap space...

If everyone not named there is on the base contract of $100,000 then those 11 can earn $300,000 each.
If that were the case I'd be hoping we offer guys like Vlaustin 450k a year to squeeze him out. Be well worth it.

Gale was on SEN on the weekend saying we have plenty of cap space to accommodate a star while not compromising our list.

Ill back gale to do the right thing
If 6 players using almost half of the available salary cap doesn't squeeze the likes of Vlaustin, Edwards etc out, then well done.

My point wasn't how can Richmond afford him in their salary cap, it is more along the lines of what impact does it have if 6 players are taking 50% of the available cap space...
As much as I would love Tom Lynch, I'm struggling to comprehend someone taking pride of sporting achievements in the 1920's - ironically on the internet.
Hawthorn's achievements are in a different stratosphere.

Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Houli, Grigg and Edwards will all before 29 or older the next time they're out of contract so will hardly be attracting big contracts from other clubs.

Last edited:
Agree.

Cannot fault the Tigers for going hard for him as he will fit straight into a team that just won the flag and when you are at the top like the Tigers are currently one of the perks is being a destination club for big name recruits in the cycle that is AFL footy.

Much to contrary opinion on here I do not hate the Tigers at all as a team and good luck to you blokes but every team has dick head supporters and when you have so many followers like the Tigers do it is inevitable the odds are increased that they find voice in success periods pissing on everything they can opposition wise!

Makes for a great comp when the Tigers are up and about and you guys are definitely a different breed!;)

I still hate Dusty though as a bloke as good as he is on the field!
Talk about going off the beaten track.
What the hell does having DH supporters got to do with what you are quoting on?
All it does show is your true colors and quite frankly on that basis alone you should resign from being a Mod.

but if a lot were front ended, then that % clearly wont be a high as you mentioned.

Back