Scandal Port Adelaide Player SPP Charged With Inappropriate Contact

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of the outcome, how can they justify suspending him while they conduct the investigation?
To do this the alleged misconduct would either have to be of a criminal nature, an arrestable offence and would therefore be investigated the police, or if due to the specific, serious nature of the allegation it would be inappropriate for him to play until after the investigation had concluded - ie. a child care worker accused of pedophilia.
In both of these cases there are considerations that must be taken into account - whether the player admits it, evidence in support of the allegation etc.
This is basic due process and must be afforded to anyone facing allegations of misconduct, particularly in these cases due to the 'influence' of the #me too movement (no I am not victim blaming, just pointing out the fact that this movement has already claimed countless innocent victims - obviously not your Weinstein's and the like). Or worse, what if clubs employed a couple of slappers to target opposition star players and arrange a holiday for them the next time teams met? Unrealistic yeah, but would appear relatively easy to pull off considering just what constitutes 'inappropriate' touching these days.

If the only ‘touching’ was SPP taking hold of her hand, which looks pretty gentle as well, then what was her agenda in trying to make an issue out of this? Did some when tell her the next day and say:
“you know that big shaved head pissed bloke last night who wanted you to go with him”
“Yea”
“ that’s Sam Powell Pepper and he plays for port”
“ of wow, I better make an issue out of it then”

Really, if the channel 9 vision was the actual incident, I want to know what was her issue? He seemed to do what most single blokes and even girls try and do at the end of a night out.

Yes he was drunk and admitted that and should be pnished for that, but I can’t beleive he missed 3 games for being a human and being attracted to another human and wanting to get intimate with them.
I feel for the young man.

More to do with the AFL just being seen to do something.

You really believe that’s all that happened and from that this woman came up with the idea to go to Port and lie about it?

Dear Roovolution,

So the allegations thrown at him by 7 Adelaide have proven to be non-existent, both by the AFL and the PAFC and not a police report to be seen, yet he is still guilty by your high standards of the allegations that don't actually exist.

It must be hard living in your lofty tower in Burnside correcting everyone's spelling whilst you chew on your apricot slice, knowing you're better than everyone 'just because' you grew up hating Port Adelaide, the club that actually brought you into existence so you could join Big Footy and push your agenda.

How am I doing so far?

If you really want to know you are posting s**t so far. Think about this...

The final damaging layer of this tale involves the tainted reputation of Powell Pepper, a developing man from a tough background.
This story will fade from the headlines but not, as Thomas notes, from the Google search engine. Powell- Pepper's hopes of a post AFL career could be compromised.

This is a life sentence no second year player deserves.

That was from today's Adelaide Advertiser not the PAFC.

The implications are there for all AFL clubs not just ours. The AFL Integrity Unit found no evidence of sexual assault as was reported in the SEVEN News. If they had they would have been bound by the AFL ruling to pass that evidence on to the police. As there was no sexual misconduct a player has effectively been banned for three games for breaking a Club imposed curfew and being drunk in a public place.

Dear Roovolution,

So the allegations thrown at him by 7 Adelaide have proven to be non-existent, both by the AFL and the PAFC and not a police report to be seen, yet he is still guilty by your high standards of the allegations that don't actually exist.

It must be hard living in your lofty tower in Burnside correcting everyone's spelling whilst you chew on your apricot slice, knowing you're better than everyone 'just because' you grew up hating Port Adelaide, the club that actually brought you into existence so you could join Big Footy and push your agenda.

So much offended carried around because we beat you into the AFL decades ago. It isn’t me or the Crows who have an agenda it’s Port and their fans.

The allegations haven’t been proven to be false at all. Port are just trying to spin their way out of trouble and grandstand for their fans. Drunken idiot too drunk to recall but strangely seems to recall not groping the woman who you seem to think is a liar. Nice.

Just saw some vision on AFL360.
SPP touches and holds a ladies hand then lets go and moves away. Hes intoxicated, which you can tell by his movements. Impossible to draw much from that vision without context, but visually there doesnt look to be much in the clip shown. Again, no idea what was said, or what occured before and after the vision.

You do understand the incident actually happened INSIDE the nightclub? The vision filmed from a mobile phone that you are refering to is just some other footage someone filmed OUTSIDE the nightclub.

If you really want to know you are posting s**t so far. Think about this...

The final damaging layer of this tale involves the tainted reputation of Powell Pepper, a developing man from a tough background.
This story will fade from the headlines but not, as Thomas notes, from the Google search engine. Powell- Pepper's hopes of a post AFL career could be compromised.
This is a life sentence no second year player deserves.

That was from today's Adelaide Advertiser not the PAFC.

The implications are there for all AFL clubs not just ours. The AFL Integrity Unit found no evidence of sexual assault as was reported in the SEVEN News. If they had they would have been bound by the AFL ruling to pass that evidence on to the police. As there was no sexual misconduct a player has effectively been banned for three games for breaking a Club imposed curfew and being drunk in a public place.

But wait, I thought the media hates Port and loves the Crows? **shakes head**

Victim bashing to protect a drunken lout. Nice. Stay classy Port.

When SPP comes back to his hometown Perth and gets booed by 50000 wce fans will it be consided racist?

No, just a poor reflection on the WCE fans.

It isn't as if the WCEs ever had a naughty boy or two playing for them? Any WCE supporter who even remotely criticises another club's culture is heading toward a dark place, don't go there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, just a poor reflection on the WCE fans.

It isn't as if the WCEs ever had a naughty boy or two playing for them? Any WCE supporter who even remotely criticises another club's culture is heading toward a dark place, don't go there.

Yes, because I (or anyone that dares boo) is actually criticising your "clubs culture" :drunk:

And due to WCE having issues with Cousins Fletcher Kerr etc 10 years ago, we cant have an opinion on any opposition dickhead players :drunk:

Do we know what specific action constitutes "Inappropriate contact with a female"

KT would not describe it and the AFL does not seem to want to.

Going forward how can a player know how to interact with a female without being indicted with this charge from AFL House.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

But wait, I thought the media hates Port and loves the Crows? **shakes head**

Victim bashing to protect a drunken lout. Nice. Stay classy Port.

Who is victim bashing?

At yesterday's Press Conference Mike Smithson asked for Video evidence and Thomas told him it was the property of the nightclub.

I strongly advise you to go to the 5AA or PAFC websites and have look at the entire Press Conference. That way you will be better informed and not have to invent the facts.

Incidentally Sam Powell- Pepper is not obliged to prove his innocence, in this country you are innocent until proved guilty so the onus is on Sam's accusers to provide proof of his guilt. After investigation by the AFL no proof of guilt has been forthcoming so he is innocent of any sexual assault.

POSTSCRIPT: To avoid confusion, Sam has been found guilty of making inappropriate contact. This terminology was used by the AFL so it is their responsibility to define what it means.

Last edited:
Yes, because I (or anyone that dares boo) is actually criticising your "clubs culture" :drunk:

And due to WCE having issues with Cousins Fletcher Kerr etc 10 years ago, we cant have an opinion on any opposition dickhead players :drunk:

So there we have it, at least one WCE supporter intends to roll out an 'icy' reception for Sam?

Who is victim bashing?

At yesterday's Press Conference Mike Smithson asked for Video evidence and Thomas told him it was the property of the nightclub.

I strongly advise you to go to the 5AA or PAFC websites and have look at the entire Press Conference. That way you will be better informed and not have to invent the facts.

Incidentally Sam Powell- Pepper is not obliged to prove his innocence, in this country you are innocent until proved guilty so the onus is on Sam's accusers to provide proof of his guilt. After investigation by the AFL no proof of guilt has been forthcoming so he is innocent.
He was proven guilty of inappropriate contact with a female.

Do we know what specific action constitutes "Inappropriate contact with a female"

KT would not describe it and the AFL does not seem to want to.

Going forward how can a player know how to interact with a female without being indicted with this charge from AFL House.

I am not sure why anyone would expect Keith to be able to define such a subjective term as inappropriate touching or why he should have to. Bear in mind that the question was asked by Mike Smithson who was obviously sent to yesterday's Press Conference to deflect flak.

Was is inappropriate is surely the opinion of the person being touched? What is 'inappropriate' to one person might be welcomed by another. In any case the inappropriate touching bit is not the term originally used by SEVEN. The SEVEN news report on April 9th mentioned that the Port Adelaide Football Club was conducting an 'investigation into an alleged sexual assault by one of it's players'. The one thing that is certain is that what ever occurred between the young lady and Sam it was not sexual assault. It is the sexual assault connotation and the implications for Sam Powell-Pepper that has upset us.

Fair enough, I was referring to the original alleged sexual assault claim. There is a huge difference in sexual assault and inappropriate contact.

It is up to the AFL, not Keith Thomas to define 'inappropriate contact'. If you asked Keith to refer to the AFL report for a definition he could not do it because at the time of the press conference we had not seen it. That is another issue though.

Geez, Brendan Fevola is lucky he did not play in this era.

Last edited:

Define 'inappropriate' in this context. And while we are at it, define 'proven' in this context. And hey, you may as well define 'guilty' in this context as well.

You seem to have accepted the AFL version having seen exactly as much as the chief integrity officer who would have signed off on the finding.

Its staggering how this isnt a bigger scandal than what actually happened with the player.

The AFL are passing judgement on the lives of players despite not even reviewing all the evidence.

I am not sure why anyone would expect Keith to be able to define such a subjective term as inappropriate touching or why he should have to. Bear in mind that the question was asked by Mike Smithson who was obviously sent to yesterday's Press Conference to deflect flak.

Was is inappropriate is surely the opinion of the person being touched? What is 'inappropriate' to one person might be welcomed by another. In any case the inappropriate touching bit is not the term originally used by SEVEN. The SEVEN news report on April 9th mentioned that the Port Adelaide Football Club was conducting an 'investigation into an alleged sexual assault by one of it's players'. The one thing that is certain is that what ever occurred between the young lady and Sam it was not sexual assault. It is the sexual assault connotation and the implications for Sam Powell-Pepper that has upset us.
It should be defined as it seems to be a punishable offence by the AFL. How does a player know whether or not they are committing such an offence when in the presence of a female?

Also as a Port member don't you want to know exactly why one if your players was punished?

And yes I agree Smithson was sent to cross examine KT and protect C7.

Although given they used the term "alleged" in their reporting I am not really sure what grounds SPP has to sue for defamation.

C7 did report this in a gutter journalst/tabloid way. But not really sure if what they did was specifically unlawful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back