State Of Origin On The Agenda Again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine the pride in saying that your team hasn't lost for so many years. Like holding a championship belt in wrestling .

And it keeps it simple with just two teams per year..easy to fixture

If you lose then U don't see your state play the next year. Makes winning better and losing hurt more.

Who is going to get behind the allies..

To me personally doesn’t work. People want to mark Origin in their calender not just hope.

The Allies I know is strange team but are we just pretending that kids and players don’t play AFL in NT, Tasmania?

Imagine the pride in saying that your team hasn't lost for so many years. Like holding a championship belt in wrestling .

And it keeps it simple with just two teams per year..easy to fixture

If you lose then U don't see your state play the next year. Makes winning better and losing hurt more.

Who is going to get behind the allies..

and importantly you won't get any random stupid matchups like Victoria vs Tasmania. Everyone will essentially be playing teams around their level.

Round Robbin changing every year between the three states that actually can compete.. SA vs WA vs VIC. Best of two games. Home and away.

So winner stays on.

2019 VIC vs SA ... If Vic win then
2020 VIC vs WA .. Winner stays on.

Will be a lot of pride in which state kept the longest streak etc.
I don't think it should come back but if it did this absolutely the only way I can see it working. But even the I'd only play it once every 3 years at most so it's a kept as a bit of a novelty for both fans and players. People would be less likely to get bored/sick of it and if the players only had a handful of chances to play in their career imo they would be far more likely to want to make themselves available.

To me personally doesn’t work. People want to mark Origin in their calender not just hope.

The Allies I know is strange team but are we just pretending that kids and players don’t play AFL in NT, Tasmania?
The Allies was one of those things that sounds good in theory but was rubbish in practice. Nobody gave a s**t about them, the players or footy followers.

Round Robbin changing every year between the three states that actually can compete.. SA vs WA vs VIC. Best of two games. Home and away.

So winner stays on.

2019 VIC vs SA ... If Vic win then
2020 VIC vs WA .. Winner stays on.

Will be a lot of pride in which state kept the longest streak etc.

Don't mind this, if it ever came back I think this format is most suitable. Hopefully NSW also could field a strong enough side eventually.

Yeah we get that.
It’s just that AFL fans don’t really care about SOO anymore.
We are different from the NRL, and people need to understand that and let it go.
Yeah, but who the hell won ?

The whole state rivalry thing feels a bit passé. Along with jingoism and national pride.

Can't deny the success of the NRL SOO, but it still feels pretty manufactured to me.

We don't need SOO.
We get awesome games with massive crowds every weekend.

I think NRL clubs privately would love to get rid of State of Origin and have themselves as the pinnacle. But they and the NRL have gotten too used to the money it brings in (it's all one TV rights contract). If they ever get serious in 50 years about being a national sport they'll have to bite the bullet and finish it.

Isn't it slightly frustrating though that the highest quality game EVER in the history of the AFL was a game in 2008 and as of now there is no chance at all of us getting a game that could possibly match it?

Also a person can love their club and also love representative football. I mean do you think a Liverpool fan loves their club any less because they also support England internationally?
You make excellent points and that’s the best argument for SOO I’ve heard in some time.
But the players play their full amount of footy per year, they need a bye to even get through it now.
How can we find the time if there isn’t the passion from the fans? I’d rather my teams best players play their best footy for Richmond than my home state, because that means much more to me.
And I think you’d find the majority of footy fans would feel the same.
A premiership is a very precious thing, clubs striving towards that is more important than state glory for me.

Isn't it slightly frustrating though that the highest quality game EVER in the history of the AFL was a game in 2008 and as of now there is no chance at all of us getting a game that could possibly match it?

Also a person can love their club and also love representative football. I mean do you think a Liverpool fan loves their club any less because they also support England internationally?

Which is it, 'best vs the best' or 'representative football' you want? Half the world's best soccer players don't play for England.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomorrow there will be an NRL game played in Sydney and 8000 people will show up.
In AFL terms that’s pathetic. We crap on them from a great height.
Their only big draw card is SOO.
We don’t need it.

To get more tv rights money, it might be necessary. Then again, the AFL might solve that by selling AFLX licenses or some crap.

If we can do International Rules, we can do Origin.

Play it in late October/November.
Extend the interchange bench, 15 minute quarters

Three weekends
Vic v WA, QLD v NSW
WA v SA, NSW v Tas
SA v Vic, Tas v QLD

I've never been a fan of state of origin, but if the aim is to create 3 high-rating programs a year to more or less match the rugby league state of origin, I think it would be better in the first two weeks of a three-week series to have simultaneous games on a weeknight (e.g. Wednesday). That way, different games could be broadcast into different states for maximum national ratings.

For instance, the proposal mentioned earlier had a year 1 in which seeds 1 v 2, 3 v 4 and 5 v 6 played in separate weeks. That would be a ratings fizzer IMO -- especially 5 v 6. But if instead you had, say, Vic v WA, SA v Tas and QLD v NSW broadcast into the respective states all as part of the same TV program in week 1 of the origin series, the national ratings figure could be big for that night.

First-round winners plus the loser of 1 v 2 could then quality for week 2 to play semifinals.

The semifinal winners could then play the final in week 3.

It would get harder to rate well nationally as the series progressed because a game would be lost each week, meaning some states would receive a broadcast of a game not involving their team. Against that, weaker teams would be getting eliminated, leaving the better teams.

---

A question for those who might have an idea: what kind of ratings could realistically be expected in Melbourne for a game involving Victoria, in Adelaide for a game involving SA, and in Perth for a game involving WA?

It seems that these ratings figures would have to be very high to make the origin series competitive with the rugby league one. First, the 5-city metro ratings would need to be much stronger than rugby league's to make up a shortfall in regionals. Second, I'd love to be wrong on this, but it's difficult to see Sydneysiders watching the series in large numbers, even in week 1 with NSW participating in one of the games. There is hostility towards the game up here encouraged by both Fairfax and News Corp.

To get near 3.5m nationally (about what the NRL currently gets), it seems there'd need to be about 1.5m watching in Melbourne with another 1m watching in Adelaide and Perth. Then scraps from the other cities and regionals would somehow need to make up another million.

Anything less than this IMO would just devalue the game and also the premiership, which would be the worst of both worlds.

On the other hand, if the ratings in the southern states were likely to be absolutely massive, it wouldn't really matter about the northern state ratings and the exercise might serve its purpose for the network.

Last edited:
This is the best concept I've seen in recent times, possibly the only adjustment I'd suggest is combining QLD/NT and NSW/ACT to keep it at an even six sides, given footy has a history of these combinations at junior level:

View attachment 508831
No self respecting Queenslander would get behind a Qld/any other state or territory hybrid. Queensland stand alone team in a maroon jumper or nothing

Queensland/Northern Territory DO play in a maroon jumper and it's a bit rich to tar every Queenslander with the same brush.
Are you a Queenslander? If not how do you know what Queenslanders would or would not get behind?

Are you a Queenslander? If not how do you know what Queenslanders would or would not get behind?

Well I wouldn't have mentioned it if I wasn't. I get how strong the bond is, but I was simply trying to rationalise something that has about a 5% chance at best of happening anytime soon. For me, QLD/NT feels more authentic because of pre-existing juniors than any dreamteam/allies/rest side could ever hope to be. Of course QLD alone is preferable, I agree with you on that.

I remember in the late 80s or early to mid 90s watching a NSW-QLD SOO game. Mal Maninga, the Qld captain, was giving his Qld team mates a pre game talking to, trying to fire them up. TV camera was up close trying to get every word. All you could hear him say was "let's beat these fks", "we own these cnts", "let's fk these muddafkrs up", etc etc, stuff like that. Big swear words coming across. Of course he was talking about the NSW team. The camera then honed in on the NSW team warming up and 80 per cent of them were Maninga's Canberra Raiders' team mates. Brilliant.

Unfortunately we just don't have the same passion in the AFL equivalent and therein lies the problem.

The Allies was one of those things that sounds good in theory but was rubbish in practice. Nobody gave a s**t about them, the players or footy followers.

I don’t know about that. The Allies records was quite good in the 90’s, always used to beat WA and would find itself in top playoff with Victorian team quite a number of years.

The main difference between NRL/AFL is that NRL have 2 major states in NSW/QLD playing off and why it simply works. AFL is more popular in VIC, SA, WA and other states would be Div-2 states playing. Div-2 states put together does create a competitive team yes, The Allies proved that in the 90’s and we plenty good Northern Academy players & Tasmanian & NT players coming through. Yes it’s a tough pill to swallow for these states and it doesn’t represent one state but a group of states, not the same as putting on a NSW or Maroons top where the passion is there.

I personally wouldn’t enjoy watching
Tasmania vs NSW or QLD vs NT as they would be second tier games compared to VIC vs SA or WA. Perhaps the AFL need get the marketing and promoting team together and create a team that NSW/QLD/Tasmanians can all get behind, something like the ‘Dream Team’ better colours etc etc. This way least we get to see 2 SOO games in AFL over 1 weekend and eliminate second tier games or least try reduce it. One game each and supporters are happy.

and importantly you won't get any random stupid matchups like Victoria vs Tasmania. Everyone will essentially be playing teams around their level.

Why?

One of the most famous SoO games was when Tassie beat the Vic's, they still talk about it 28 years later

SoO is about passion, you don't have passion for composite teans

I don’t know about that. The Allies records was quite good in the 90’s, always used to beat WA and would find itself in top playoff with Victorian team quite a number of years.
Looking at your age you would have been about 3 when they last played, the 'Allies' sure yes they had some very good players but nobody at the time gave much of a s**t about the team or playing against them. It was a fail. And it would be again if they tried it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back