Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

You can say what you want about him but he knows his role, doesn't play with a big head and always gets on his bike to provide something.

Meanwhile McKernan thinks he's a Stewart Lowe/Josh Kennedy hybrid.

He is not a star but he is very under rated by a lot of people. As a defender he is a bloody handy player if he can get a decent run of games. Injury has really hurt him over his career but also in the last 2 seasons with us.

Despite all the talk and deriding he did something that neither Stewart or Laverde could do in the last 7 weeks and that's kick 2 goals at AFL level.

Despite all the talk and deriding he did something that neither Stewart or Laverde could do in the last 7 weeks and that's kick 2 goals at AFL level.

Overall I thought he was pretty good. Kicked 2.2, but really could have been 4 straight as both those points were gimmes, along with 2 goal assists and an equal game high 8 score involvements along with Stringer. He had donuts in the first and was quiet in the 3rd, but his 2nd and 4th were very good. If the delivery inside 50 wasn't so putrid and McKernan didn't keep blocking up his space and bringing Andrews along for the ride he would have had an even better game.

I've had a soft spot for him since 2016 - smart footballer and finds ways to contribute, even though he'll probably never be good enough to dominate a game.

If you could combine his smarts with Stewart's physical attributes you'd have a gun.

The thing is , Brown performs his role for 90% of the match. The other 10% he is either doing something to contribute to the win (2.2) or loss ( been a few game's down back he was manhandled in the past ). I don't mind him but in an ideal world he's not near our best team.

He is great depth, tries his hardest when selected. Never thrilled our disappointed by him.

You can say what you want about him but he knows his role, doesn't play with a big head and always gets on his bike to provide something.

Meanwhile McKernan thinks he's a Stewart Lowe/Josh Kennedy hybrid.

Yeah, bloody entertaining to watch though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that we are praising a limited, limited footballer like Mitch Brown for 'effort' is a tragic reflection of where the club is at and how low our expectations have fallen.
He is quite frankly a battler and best and an absolute list clogger at worst (and by no means the only one out there).
When i watch Mitch Brown run around, it's simply a stark reminder that we are as far away as ever from wining a final.

The fact that we are praising a limited, limited footballer like Mitch Brown for 'effort' is a tragic reflection of where the club is at and how low our expectations have fallen.
He is quite frankly a battler and best and an absolute list clogger at worst (and by no means the only one out there).
When i watch Mitch Brown run around, it's simply a stark reminder that we are as far away as ever from wining a final.

The supporters know he isn't a star, we are praising him for contributing to the team with a couple of goals something our much vaunted Jayden Laverde couldn't do, what the much highly praised James Stewart couldn't do.

He may be no world beater but he came in and did what he could do and that is contribute. For us to succeed as a club, sure, we need to upgrade him to a better player. Joe is injured, Stewart is out of form and Laverde was struggling to impact games so he was given an opportunity and took it.

The supporters know he isn't a star, we are praising him for contributing to the team with a couple of goals something our much vaunted Jayden Laverde couldn't do, what the much highly praised James Stewart couldn't do.

He may be no world beater but he came in and did what he could do and that is contribute. For us to succeed as a club, sure, we need to upgrade him to a better player. Joe is injured, Stewart is out of form and Laverde was struggling to impact games so he was given an opportunity and took it.
Exactly right.

And premiership teams are full of bog average players that just do their role. And he did his yesterday, arguing that means we're so far off the pace is ridiculous.

Thats a bit unfair. You'd assume it would be a tad easier to kick 2 goals against Brisbane than the tigers. Especially harder when you're getting flogged by 13 goals as well.

Couldn't even tell you who was playing on him; meanwhile McKernan was playing on one of the best young defenders in the comp. Mind you we should be looking to replace both of them.

Thats a bit unfair. You'd assume it would be a tad easier to kick 2 goals against Brisbane than the tigers. Especially harder when you're getting flogged by 13 goals as well.

Ok.

So what's the excuse for GWS, Geelong, Carlton, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Collingwood?

Couldn't even tell you who was playing on him; meanwhile McKernan was playing on one of the best young defenders in the comp. Mind you we should be looking to replace both of them.

McKernan did a fantastic job making sure he crowded Brown's space and brought Andrews along for the party.

We call him “The School Teacher” because he has a very strong 1983 year ten science teacher vibe. Not quite experienced enough to be teaching senior physics, but definitely strong on shorts and long socks. And looks very pro/am in effort and skill. Doesn’t look like he does full time training, maybe just Tues and Thurs nights and some sit ups on the off days. You can imagine him rocking up at school on a Monday after playing an A grade game and all the kids are like “Sir, Sir, I saw you on telly yesterday!! You kicked 1 goal 2 from twelve possessions! “Sir what’s Dyson Heppell like??”

Despite the above - I quite like him as one of our back up talks. I’d retain him on the list along with Hartley

We call him “The School Teacher” because he has a very strong 1983 year ten science teacher vibe. Not quite experienced enough to be teaching senior physics, but definitely strong on shorts and long socks. And looks very pro/am in effort and skill. Doesn’t look like he does full time training, maybe just Tues and Thurs nights and some sit ups on the off days. You can imagine him rocking up at school on a Monday after playing an A grade game and all the kids are like “Sir, Sir, I saw you on telly yesterday!! You kicked 1 goal 2 from twelve possessions! “Sir what’s Dyson Heppell like??”

Despite the above - I quite like him as one of our back up talks. I’d retain him on the list along with Hartley
Also in training to climb K2 and rides to school on a bike with panniers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back