Autopsy Sydney vs Richmond Rd 15 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

apparently not.

Looking at the team stats, we laid more tackles, won more clearances, more contested possessions but were 5% less efficient and had 50 less uncontested possessions and 40 less uncontested marks. What does that tell you? We won the ball in close, turned it over too much and they out-worked us once they got hold of it. But I could of told you that without looking at the stats.

They're just so damn quick across the ground. As soon as they win the ball they spread so fast (and smart) that they continuously have players in the clear to kick to. It's any wonder they play so well at the MCG with all that space.

Great post and have to agree particularly with this sentence
"we make this up through sheer heart and dogged determination"
Both the 05 and the 12 flag were won with exactly that. Neither year were we the most talented or the most domininant side and both years we had some terrible losses, but when it counted we stood up as one and overcame the more fancied teams of those respective years.
Richmond are a wonderful footy team, a formidable footy team, a team that deserves to be outright favourite for the flag, but I still believe in my heart we can win it this year.

Absolutely. I remember us being so good in 2012, I’d thought we were equal with Hawthorn as the best team in it. It felt too good to be true. Then we lost 3 of our last 4 on the run home, all to top 8 sides, and slipped out of the top two. And it felt like we’d failed the test of our credentials dropping those three matches. But the way we rallied together once the finals started and so many players just elevated themselves for that month to revive an otherwise great season was seriously impressive. There’s something reminiscent about that with this particular group. We’ve had a very up and down year so far. As soon as a few players come back from injuries, another few go out. As soon as a few return to form, another few drop off their best form. It’s meant a lack of continuity in our form. Nearly every single win has looked different to the one before it. But the kids will only get better, and the senior players are too proud to not want to redeem themselves for an inconsistent year.

I think based on 2014 and 2016 we’ve grown accustomed to thinking a great Swans season equals dominant wins, multiple All Australians etc. But we’re still getting used to the team working as a whole and not relying on a few stars. Most of the time it will work, occasionally it won’t happen for us (like last night). But having tough losses mixed in with etching out some tough wins with a lack of starring efforts are what we need to make us a hardened, sturdy team in finals like we were in 2012.

Great post and have to agree particularly with this sentence
"we make this up through sheer heart and dogged determination"
Both the 05 and the 12 flag were won with exactly that. Neither year were we the most talented or the most domininant side and both years we had some terrible losses, but when it counted we stood up as one and overcame the more fancied teams of those respective years.
Richmond are a wonderful footy team, a formidable footy team, a team that deserves to be outright favourite for the flag, but I still believe in my heart we can win it this year.
Yup, and it may not always work. The more talented/skilled sides may get us more often than not, particularly when switched on.

But that's the tradeoff for being perennial finalists without afforded high draft picks. For us swannies, its all about probabilities. Give yourself enough goes in a GF, and you'll eventually get one.

They're just so damn quick across the ground. As soon as they win the ball they spread so fast (and smart) that they continuously have players in the clear to kick to. It's any wonder they play so well at the MCG with all that space.

They had a whole heap of front running forwards that shot forward ahead of the contest taking a punt that they would win the contest.
When we rebounded we had them on toast but unfortunately too many times we coughed the ball up with poor disposal.
Doesn't matter if you are playing the reigning premiers or Gold Coast, you will get punished the other way. It's just that the reigning premiers didn't cough it up too often themselves.

We weren't that far away from them & when Buddy kicked that goal at 3/4 time to get us close, I wasn't sure if it was the sewerage I could smell or the Tiger supporters beginning to s**t themselves & I reckon there were a few follow throughs when we got to within 4 points because it really stunk in the area not far from where the Tiger army was sitting.
Don't worry about it. We go ok for a team with so many youngsters.

Reckon Rance could teach Greg Louganis a thing or two about diving.
Interesting when Buddy got him in the throat not one mention Rance had his forearm into Lances face.....

$1500 fine for buddy

So the media go from stop kicking it to Buddy all the time to give it to him more?

SMH.
bc4455fb00da3eb8172942f8ce19cb69.jpg

lets be honest if Academy Award Winner Alex Rance actually got called the same as every other defender in the league Buddy would of kicked 10, hes a great backman, but his diving and acting is a disgrace

interesting how many richmond flogs attacked Goodes (fair enough at the time) when he threw himself in that last game of 2014 I think it was. But blindly ignore what a piece of s**t Rance has become with his acting, flopping and disgraceful behaviour
I watched Rance pretty closely last night and it was so apparent every time the ball looked looked coming in his first move is to grab the forward with both hands, he isn’t putting any body on it’s purely holding the man and this is what you need to do to be an AA defender it would appear. Rance is not someone to be lauded, his histrionics are embarrassing...

There was a bit of panic coming out defence last night - players not having a look and just banging it on the boot, hoping for the best. That is not gonna get the job done when the op have set up a wall.

Also way too Buddy focused going forward again. I thought we were over that.

The talking heads think Buddy might get cited for hitting Rance in the throat. Did they not notice Rance's arm across Buddy's throat as he lay on the ground? Rance recovered miraculously in time to take his kick and has a strong history of staging. At least Parker had a black eye to prove Vlastun's elbow made real contact. Rance is such an arrogant, dirty, cheating bastard. I was so glad Razor Ray busted him for stepping over the mark (even though there wasn't much in it - I think Buddy just got to close).

Rance also got pinged a couple of times for very cynical play where he pushed Buddy under the ball with his chest without any attempt to play the ball at all. Both times Lingy argued its not a free coz he didn't use his hands. Its a deadset free in the same way that flying for a mark and not getting a touch is a free. Lingy has far too much to say these days and a lot of it is garbage.
Quite simply Lingy is a flog

Rose would of kicked 2 or 3 goals if the deliverer of the ball took a look on a 45 degree angle instead of heading blindly to bud......how would we have rated his game then? I don’t think he is any answer, but I do think the criticism of him about last night is not really warranted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched Rance pretty closely last night and it was so apparent every time the ball looked looked coming in his first move is to grab the forward with both hands, he isn’t putting any body on it’s purely holding the man and this is what you need to do to be an AA defender it would appear. Rance is not someone to be lauded, his histrionics are embarrassing...

Yep agree, he has built up this bs reputation though and gets away with “bodywork”

Reg would get frees against every time

Rose would of kicked 2 or 3 goals if the deliverer of the ball took a look on a 45 degree angle instead of heading blindly to bud......how would we have rated his game then? I don’t think he is any answer, but I do think the criticism of him about last night is not really warranted.

Yep judge it on what do you expect I think

When they picked rose I thought l if he kicks a goal and gets like 7 -10 touches that’s a serviceable return, applies pressure and makes a contest

He wasn’t far from that

Barrett had us in the grand final this time last week

He’s a ******* idiot
Aaahhhhhhh.....a week is a long time in football!!!!!!

Hanners- 20 disposals but you will struggle to see any impact from them.

I think you are drastically underestimating the impact Hanners 20 disposals had on the game. They clearly played a huge part... in winning it for the tiges. :(

Rarely have I seen the board so united in wanting a stalwart dropped.
But 3 at once?? :eek: It's unheard of, but I haven't seen anyone coming to the defense of Hanners, Jack or Rohan yet. Nor should they IMHO. All three must be dropped and youngsters given a chance at nailing down a spot before finals. We aren't going to win lickedy split with those 3 come the pointy end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back