Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd take a risk on Jamie Elliot, If the pies aren't willing to offer him security of a mid to long term deal I think we should.

I think he's worth the risk.
Holy **** that forward line if fit...

I know this is dilusional pearler worthy, bu what would Hurley be worth? Contracted and all. I do not want it too occur because he is a core cultural link within this group. We have already witnessed what can happen when critical players leave as we saw post 2000. But honestly what godfather trade could we not refuse?
Not sure it would even take a 'godfather' trade at this point. If Geelong came knocking with their 1st it'd be hard to refuse.

You'd be a brave man to spend a top 10 pick on Rankine with our current situation.

I'd do it, but there would be obvious consequences

He is so damn tempting though, if he gets in the right system he WILL be a star, if he goes to Carlton he'll almost definitely wind up like Chris Yarran.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it would even take a 'godfather' trade at this point. If Geelong came knocking with their 1st it'd be hard to refuse.
It would have to be a top 10 pick for me to Consider. TBH Geelongs probably pretty happy with Blicavs and once Hendersons back. I mean they arent even playing Taylor back

Those suggesting Brodie what pick are yiu handing away? Wed currentky have pick 7 and 25. No doubt 25 becomes a 26 or 27 after priority picks.

Are you guys willing to swap that pick for Brodie considering such a strong draft?

Id rather grab Wallis for money and use that pick as we require a key tall prospect with either our 1st or 2nd

That's our current hand yes. But we could change.
But to answer your question more specifically, I believe GC need players more than picks right now especially if they lose May and/or Lynch. They have a stock pile of top pick and talent but - among other things- lose games because they lack experience on the field I think.

I'd look to offer GC a package of player's.
Some that come to mind :
Jerrett - a change of scenery might help him like it did Melksham.
Luey- could be there #1 or 2 , possibly our #3 next season with Drapers emergence.
Laverde - A lot probably won't like this but you have to give to get sometimes.

There's quite a few options there or they might accept Laverde+our 3rd.

These are just examples of course.

The quality of Sloane's footy has deteriorated this year. He's been good but by no means great. There would be great risk with taking him as a 29-year old.

Will Brodie though would absolutely be on my radar. Hasn't been given a great deal of opportunity at the Suns but has all the tools to become an excellent inside midfielder.

Yeah, the Suns are nursing him it seems but he needs to play. I don't think he is overly quick but he is a bull. I think he's like 188cm & 92 kg.

I would like an eye to the future and try recruit Brodie and Setterfield.

What price for Setterfield ? He potentially a gun, would love to get him no less because he grew up an Essendon supporter.

He's related to Wanganeen, perhaps that helps?

Why so? Go home factor im assuming?

He is so damn tempting though, if he gets in the right system he WILL be a star, if he goes to Carlton he'll almost definitely wind up like Chris Yarran.

how so?
i have loved what i've seen on the field.

What are the off field concerns?

Nothing to do with go home factor or character. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one that's cottoned on to this.

You take a small midfield, you add a small midfielder and you still have a small midfield, if it's not at least flitting around in the minds of our recruiting staff it really should be. As I said if our assessment of him at that pick is that he's best available you still do it but you live with the consequences, and those consequences are that bigger sides will continue to beat us up.

I would feel much more comfortable in the hypothetical that we're picking Rankine if by the time we hit the draft we had already secured a someone like a Wallis or someone else in that vein to continue to bulk out that area of the field.

The reason Collingwood were able to pick Stephenson last year with no qualms is that they already had a midfield capable of shovelling out to him and protecting him, now he just gets to run amok in space, the perfect landing spot for him.

Yeah, the Suns are nursing him it seems but he needs to play. I don't think he is overly quick but he is a bull. I think he's like 188cm & 92 kg.

What price for Setterfield ? He potentially a gun, would love to get him no less because he grew up an Essendon supporter.
I feel like there is 0 chance they trade him this year. GWS can't afford to throw away players like they used to. Depth is a serious issue for them now.

The loss to Collingwood exposed our midfield issues.
Pendlebury and De Goey tore us a new one in and around the clearances in the last 10 minutes when the game was on the line. We had no one that could create the same for us with Heppell on the wing for some inconspicuous reason.

I Love Rankine and would take him in a heart beat at 7 but to do so we need to ensure we have addressed our clearance stocks beforehand. Besides, even if we take a clearance mid at pick 7 this year, mayne 1 out of 10 of those guys step in straight away and contribute strongly. It wont help our midfield for 18 months-2 years by the time they develop.

Wallis as a RFA is a no brainer, Dom Tyson from Melbourne on the cheap would be smart as well.
A smokey could be Jesse Lonergan from GCS, lump of a kid who was drsfted early and excels in tight but was asked to be am all round mid and seems to now have lost his confidence. Could be picked up super cheap and excel if we just give him a role in the midfield as an extractor.

Clarke and Mynott look like they are developing well, but they are still 18 months away at best from being genuine 22 game contributors.

Midfielders are the key, Rankine or Hill in the draft is the cream we can have if we sort that out in the trade period.

Out

Brendan Goddard - Has been a willing servant during a tough time and I wish we could have given him more but with Redman and Francis in the wings waiting their turn we need to cut ties with Goddard

Mark Baguley - Love the guy, gives 100% all the time but he is past it and does not provide enough. Would love to see him stick around in the VFL like Hocking but not upset if he tries to get a few more years playing elsewhere.

Matthew Leunberger - Another player who I just think is not in the future plans. Bellchambers is playing well and McKernan/Draper are enough to fill in the gaps the way the AFL is played these days.

Josh Green - Too slow and does not provide enough pressure. Is great at sneaking a few goals but overall not AFL standard.

Jackson Merrett - Thanks for the time. Stay around in the VFL if you would like.

Mitch Brown - Not against taking him as a rookie as can be handy depth but is not really worth persisting with over a young kid.

In

Draft picks: #7, 27, 61 and 79 - Take the best available inside midfielder with the first pick and follow up with a talented KPF with our second. Walking out of the draft with Collier- Dawkins and Bailey Williams would be a dream result with our first two picks.

Free Agent - Rory Sloane or Mitch Wallis please

Trade Target - Dom Tyson or Jamie Elliot please.

That's our current hand yes. But we could change.
But to answer your question more specifically, I believe GC need players more than picks right now especially if they lose May and/or Lynch. They have a stock pile of top pick and talent but - among other things- lose games because they lack experience on the field I think.

I'd look to offer GC a package of player's.
Some that come to mind :
Jerrett - a change of scenery might help him like it did Melksham.
Luey- could be there #1 or 2 , possibly our #3 next season with Drapers emergence.
Laverde - A lot probably won't like this but you have to give to get sometimes.

There's quite a few options there or they might accept Laverde+our 3rd.

These are just examples of course.

A 19 year old top 10 pick... and you're propsoing:
  • List clogger Jackson Merrett
  • An old, injury prone ruck whos last season as good as the 25 year old Witts was in 2013
  • Laverde
Interesting selection of options.. They might be interested in Laverde but I think they'd expect more than a 3rd with him.

People seem to over look how important Leuenberger has been despite not being in the seniors. Is a great mentor to Draper, and credit has to go to him for his hand in Draper's continued development. I'd say Draper is still probably 18 to 24 months away, and Leuenberger for at least another year is a no brainer for mine.

People seem to over look how important Leuenberger has been despite not being in the seniors. Is a great mentor to Draper, and credit has to go to him for his hand in Draper's continued development. I'd say Draper is still probably 18 to 24 months away, and Leuenberger for at least another year is a no brainer for mine.

Perhaps just swap them, Draper onto senior list, Leuey onto Rookie list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back