Roy Morgan Research Poll 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting how things go isn't it. A few years
Ago this thread would have been full of Richmond posters telling us obsessively about the glories of the past and how big Richmond would be If. If. If.

Now we have post after post from Magpies telling us all about the past and telling us how they would sell a zillion memberships If things were different. If if if if.

The world turns. The Pies once had more members than any club. In the future they may again. At the moment they are fourth in Victoria's.

Richmond home average identical to the Pies defending the flag in 2011 and miles ahead of a top 4 Collingwood in home attendance . Essendon with thousands more members despite being stuck in the dome clearly the club with most untapped growth.The Hawks with thousands more members.

The Pies I reckon are going to be talking about the past a lot.

Last edited:
It's interesting how things go isn't it. A few years
Ago this thread would have been full of Richmond posters telling us obsessively about the glories of the past and how big Richmond would be If. If. If.

Now we have post after post from Magpies telling us all about the past and telling us how they would sell a zillion memberships If things were different. If if if if.

The world turns. The Pies once had more members than any club. In the future they may again. At the moment they are fourth in Victoria's.

Richmond home average identical to the Pies defending the flag in 2011 and miles ahead of a top 4 Collingwood in home attendance . Essendon with thousands more members despite being stuck in the dome clearly the club with most untapped growth.The Hawks with thousands more members.

The Pies I reckon are going to be talking about the past a lot.

The next 3-4 year Collingwood will be challenging for a premiership! I know your scared because when we do the pies off field will blow the competition right out of the water. Like in 1990 and 2010 no club can compete with us off field. Richmond will be taking a back seat very quickly.

But unlike Richmond we continually get over 1 million spectators through the gates year in year out! We will finish with 1.1 million spectators in 2018. We have the biggest protential growth next year. Our base after 4 years of being out of finals is 75,000!

Next year we will get 85,000 minimum. If the pies can somehow win the premiership this year the pies will have the most members guaranteed!

Next year we will have more members then hawthorn and Essendon. Funny how Richmond actually think that they are the only big club in the competition and Collingwood the biggest drawing club in the history or afl/vfl Richmond fans are calling Collingwood minnows when we are actually 2nd in attendance’s by over 100,000 from Essendon in 2018. So by Richmond fans every club are minnows but in the history or vfl/afl Richmond are the 4th biggest drawing club!!! Why is that? And considering Richmond have played at the mcg since 1965. While Carlton were playing at princes park till 2000, Collingwood played at vic park till 1999 and Essendon at windy hill to 1991!!

The next 3-4 year Collingwood will be challenging for a premiership! I know your scared because when we do the pies off field will blow the competition right out of the water. Like in 1990 and 2010 no club can compete with us off field. Richmond will be taking a back seat very quickly.

But unlike Richmond we continually get over 1 million spectators through the gates year in year out! We will finish with 1.1 million spectators in 2018. We have the biggest protential growth next year. Our base after 4 years of being out of finals is 75,000!

Next year we will get 85,000 minimum. If the pies can somehow win the premiership this year the pies will have the most members guaranteed!

Next year we will have more members then hawthorn and Essendon. Funny how Richmond actually think that they are the only big club in the competition and Collingwood the biggest drawing club in the history or afl/vfl Richmond fans are calling Collingwood minnows when we are actually 2nd in attendance’s by over 100,000 from Essendon in 2018. So by Richmond fans every club are minnows but in the history or vfl/afl Richmond are the 4th biggest drawing club!!! Why is that? And considering Richmond have played at the mcg since 1965. While Carlton were playing at princes park till 2000, Collingwood played at vic park till 1999 and Essendon at windy hill to 1991!!

Lots of talk about next year

Lots of talk about the past

None about the present.

You prove my point perfectly.

None about the present.

His obsession really does validate the views he opposes....'methinks he doth protest too much'.

None about the present.

Collingwood 660,000 fans to Richmond 487,000 fans. Collingwood have broken the 1 million barrier 22 times to Richmond 6! Collingwood have passed 1.2 million 5 times Richmond 0! Collingwood hold the all time attendance record Richmond do not! I stat facts and I win goodbye

To my knowledge no team counts Pet memberships, even Richmond.

Yes you are going to outdraw Collingwood this year and at this stage we are top 4, but it wasn't until mid season that Collingwood fans started believing finals were possible let alone top 4, we'll get more through the gates this year than you did last year.

We have already passed Richmond’s total last year

Once again not true that every social media platform puts Collingwood ahead.

Really Frank do some tiny bit of research before you post. There's this thing called google. It helps.

Collingwood are behind Richmond on Insta and Essendon on twitter.

If you total facebook, Twitter and instagram Collingwood at ranked no.1 by some 15,000 ahead of Essendon and 100,000 ahead of Richmond are ranked 6th. Oh poor tigers!

Google it!!

Last edited:
Collingwood 660,000 fans to Richmond 487,000 fans. Collingwood have broken the 1 million barrier 22 times to Richmond 6! Collingwood have passed 1.2 million 5 times Richmond 0! Collingwood hold the all time attendance record Richmond do not! I stat facts and I win goodbye

Goodbye.... Are you joking

You won't be able to resist any Richmond related thread

You won't be able to resist any Richmond related thread

I cant believe what ive been reading the moment i read from gopies 'i win you lose' and 'goodbye i win' i thought i can no longer be involved with his lucid imagination..
How this thread is allowed to stay on the main board is bewildering to say the least, It should be tossed into the bay.

I've always held the belief if someone continually talks about you or tries to say they are better means they fear you or feel inferior and trying their damn hardest to sell it to themselves that they are better or bigger etc Its amazing that the many records that gopies1981 raves on about were made in the last 30 years coincidentally our darkest years.

No other pies supporter wastes their time on these type threads, gopies1981/frank Gallagher no doubt same person will hijack or create any thread regarding Richmond why do that? cause the inferior complex is strong for those 2 (Oops i mean 1).

I seriously believe he is not good for bigfooty his obsession with anything Richmond is quite sad, you have to ask yourself what he actually offers to this forum easily answered NOTHING of substance.

Pot, kettle, black.

IMHO, the Richmond supporters (not all, but in general) are much more insufferable in these chest puffing threads.

I cant believe what ive been reading the moment i read from gopies 'i win you lose' and 'goodbye i win' i thought i can no longer be involved with his lucid imagination..
How this thread is allowed to stay on the main board is bewildering to say the least, It should be tossed into the bay.

I've always held the belief if someone continually talks about you or tries to say they are better means they fear you or feel inferior and trying their damn hardest to sell it to themselves that they are better or bigger etc Its amazing that the many records that gopies1981 raves on about were made in the last 30 years coincidentally our darkest years.

No other pies supporter wastes their time on these type threads, gopies1981/frank Gallagher no doubt same person will hijack or create any thread regarding Richmond why do that? cause the inferior complex is strong for those 2 (Oops i mean 1).

I seriously believe he is not good for bigfooty his obsession with anything Richmond is quite sad, you have to ask yourself what he actually offers to this forum easily answered NOTHING of substance.
PMSL, and Richmond fans have nothing to do with it? Including yourself?

Unbelievable.

Does anyone have access to recent TV ratings? Attendance figures are one metric, but only really gauge the level of support for a team in and around Melbourne (for a Victorian team), or at least are heavily skewed that way.

I would’ve though in trying to discredit the study in the OP (yes Richmond fans, I’m looking at you),ratings would be a better metric than crowds etc as they represent a truer national snapshot not affected by geographic location.

They also remove the potential discrepancy surrounding what constitutes ‘support’ (I.e. Sydneysiders answering ‘Sydney’ despite never watching a match) as by definition the numbers are people actively tuning in to watch a game.

Best I could find is this from 4 years ago:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2015/01/03/popular-football-club-australia-2014/

Seems to back up the study in the OP somewhat, with Sydney being the obvious outlier. (As a comical aside for those who don’t click through, Richmond are 9th).

Is there anything like this with more recent figures out there?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have access to recent TV ratings? Attendance figures are one metric, but only really gauge the level of support for a team in and around Melbourne (for a Victorian team), or at least are heavily skewed that way.

I would’ve though in trying to discredit the study in the OP (yes Richmond fans, I’m looking at you),ratings would be a better metric than crowds etc as they represent a truer national snapshot not affected by geographic location.

They also remove the potential discrepancy surrounding what constitutes ‘support’ (I.e. Sydneysiders answering ‘Sydney’ despite never watching a match) as by definition the numbers are people actively tuning in to watch a game.

Seems to back up the study in the OP somewhat, with Sydney being the obvious outlier. (As a comical aside for those who don’t click through, Richmond are 9th).

Ratings are impacted by so many things......form, timeslots, dates, for example do Public holidays help?

The fact is differing metrics measure differing things at differing times in differing circumstances.

There are about 6 to 7 clubs which in the right circumstances can post huge numbers in differing metrics.

EG and only as an example. Revenue. Collingwood have more 2017 revenue than Richmond......but if we strip out pokies which most people regard as somewhat tawdry, Richmond have more revenue.

Another. Collingwood have more Facebook likes than Essendon but then Essendon have more twitter followers than Collingwood.

WCE have more members than Carlton but Carlton post several better social media numbers.

There is an endless list of such apparently unpredictable comparisons. I could cite dozens more.

Give the Big 4, WCE and Adelaide a good run of form and all are capable of posting records. Example watch Carlton explode if they went top 4 next year. Hawks may be included in that list as well.

The flaw with T.V ratings is that most people watch games between clubs who they don't support. Of course I watch Richmond on T.V whenever I can't make the game, but during a typical weekend I also watch another one or two games which don't involve Richmond.

TV ratings aren't a great guide.

Pretty sure in 2011 we weren't even top 3 in Melbourne, partly due to the fact we had a % of near 180 at one stage meaning most of our games were over by qtr time, Television veiwers are much more likely to stay engaged with close games.

I place bets on the Friday/Saturday night TV games not involving Collingwood, gives me an interest in the outcome, and when i lose i tell the bookies to go and * themselves.

Last edited:

Pretty sure in 2011 we weren't even top 3 in Melbourne, partly due to the fact we had a % of near 180 at one stage meaning most of our games were over by qtr time, Television veiwers are much more likely to stay engaged with close games.

It’s nice to be able to agree with you for once Francisco.

A sensible post.

Au contraire

Nothing engages me more than my team 10 goals up. Other games if the results my preference then it's the same. A close contest is good if I have no real preference.

For a meaningful statistic, they should be asking people about their preferred football team IN ANY CODE. That would exclude people who don't really follow AFL, but take a mild interest in the team from their home town.
While I agree itll work for some, I have a few sydney friends now in melb who are bloody passionate about both.

Hahaha please show me where one tiger supporter has started these type threads, don’t confuse yourself with me or other tiger suppoorters simply replying!!! That’s the point I was making geez that went over your head...
Found this on the second page of the AFL board.
threads/60-000-required-r23-for-richmond-to-break-ha-record.1202233

Didn't have to look far.

Membership and attendance* the only thing that matters when measuring a club's support. Tigers then daylight to the rest. We've played one less home game than Collingwood, West Coast and Essendon and still have more through the turnstiles. Collingwood probably not even the second biggest and Swans way down the list. Lol morgan poll :tearsofjoy:

*Attendance X average seat price actually paid

Found this on the second page of the AFL board.
threads/60-000-required-r23-for-richmond-to-break-ha-record.1202233

Didn't have to look far.

I think you completely misread my post (yes i saw that thread) its about Richmond attendance which shouldve been on tiger board but the point i made and you dismiss it that when gopies starts a thread his sole purpose 99.9% of the time is directed at Richmond or when he goes on his constant tiger rants on already started threads thats what i meant.
You have to have an unhealthy obsession with a team when 99% of his posts are we are bigger than Richmond, they are this big heck he names the clubs in the order and so on and so on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back