Captain wanted

Remove this Banner Ad

While he def leads by example, I completely agree he battles with speaking which doesn't come off real great.

Tmac maybe?

For once in our life we need a captain who is all heart and bullheadedness, we have an army of well articulated private schoolboys to do the talking, failing that just put Gawn in front of the camera.

I do love the irony that Viney went to Carey Baptitst Grammar, and Gawn barely scraped through at McKinnon High and Gawn's public speaking skills are better haha. But yeah after Jones retires in a few years, I wouldn't be opposed to Gawn as captain for a few years.

I do love the irony that Viney went to Carey Baptitst Grammar, and Gawn barely scraped through at McKinnon High and Gawn's public speaking skills are better haha. But yeah after Jones retires in a few years, I wouldn't be opposed to Gawn as captain for a few years.

So long as he keeps growing that nest under his chin. We would go from skinhead to skinhead though.

So Jones speaks really well but isn't standing up in the key moments on field (disagree), but Viney leads by example on field but can't speak to media well, maybe we should make them...

Having knocks on his leadership, Cotchin has defined himself as a leader in finals. Maybe Jonesy has a few pages to write yet.

Last edited:
Loved the footy they showed On The Couch - jonesy desperate to win that stoppage against Yeo 1 point down. Jonesy had 10 touches in the last quarter, sure one quarter doesn't answer his "critics" but i think some of criticism has been unfair.

At a tactical level, you could mount a case for taking the captaincy off Jones, assuming there’s a better candidate ready to go.

At a strategic level, it shouldn’t and won’t be something the club does for at least another year.

You just don’t do culture wrecking s**t like that in an organisation on the brink of success.

Jones was worse early on, and Viney has already demonstrated his ability to lift the side when required.

There is really no debate that Viney should be sole captain 2019 onwards PROVIDING HIS FOOT IS OK. Since his foot is probably ****** I’d be making TMac and Gawn dual vice captains under Jack next year and they can share it if he goes down. Lever has excellent leadership qualities too but would want a couple uninterrupted seasons for us first.
Yes there is, there is really debate, lots of it.

So Jones speaks really well but isn't standing up in the key moments on field (disagree), but Viney leads by example on field but can't speak to media well, maybe we should make them...

Having knocks on his leadership, Cotchin has defined himself as a leader in finals. Maybe Jonesy has a few pages to write yet.
Excellently said

At a tactical level, you could mount a case for taking the captaincy off Jones, assuming there’s a better candidate ready to go.

At a strategic level, it shouldn’t and won’t be something the club does for at least another year.

You just don’t do culture wrecking s**t like that in an organisation on the brink of success.
Much desire for change, seemingly for the sake of change. I guess thats the point of a discussion forum though.

Much desire for change, seemingly for the sake of change. I guess thats the point of a discussion forum though.

Fair points, but if we look at his body of work as skipper over the last 2 years he has done very little to lift us when we need it. Am I being harsh? Maybe, maybe I'm expecting too much from a guy who is just a B grade player? Agree it could be harmful to the fabric of the club if we took it off him, but how much longer does he keep it?

Fair points, but if we look at his body of work as skipper over the last 2 years he has done very little to lift us when we need it. Am I being harsh? Maybe, maybe I'm expecting too much from a guy who is just a B grade player? Agree it could be harmful to the fabric of the club if we took it off him, but how much longer does he keep it?
I don’t know. I think the transition between captains should be a fairly ‘natural’ process - it shouldn’t be forced unless by chrises or instability, lest it cause instability. So I think he keeps it for now is all I’d be thinking if I were Goody, at least another year. Jones is not selfish, egotistical or power hungry so I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he stepped aside at some stage, before it got to be an issue. To be clear, it is not an issue yet, despite some people’s comments regarding his supposed deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know. I think the transition between captains should be a fairly ‘natural’ process - it shouldn’t be forced unless by chrises or instability, lest it cause instability. So I think he keeps it for now is all I’d be thinking if I were Goody, at least another year. Jones is not selfish, egotistical or power hungry so I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he stepped aside at some stage, before it got to be an issue. To be clear, it is not an issue yet, despite some people’s comments regarding his supposed deficiencies.

I generally agree with this. I've been a bit critical of Jones' performance and leadership this season but I think that him leading this group into September this year and (hopefully) next year is the right thing to do. Let the captaincy change when he either steps aside or retires which is surely within the next few years anyway.

The core of this team is still very young and there's plenty of time for Viney (or someone else) to take the mantle and lead a bit further down the track. I feel pretty strongly that these couple of years are Jonesy's and he's earned it

Good discussion, let's move it to who should replace Jones in a year or 2.

I love Jack Viney but have real concerns about his availability. One thing that Jones has been good at is being on the park. No point having a captain that only plays half a season.

Viney if he plays 2019 without injury.

Otherwise... Based on what I know and think about the current crop, it’d be Tmac or Gawn. Something about Gawn just makes me think he might not be right, I can’t put my finger on it though.

I’d love to see how Clarry, Gus and Lever develop as players and leaders over the next couple years though as I could see one of them as captain. But I can’t have a captain under 24 unless in exceptional circumstances.

While he def leads by example, I completely agree he battles with speaking which doesn't come off real great.

Tmac maybe?

He speaks no worse in public than Jones - he's fine.

Assuming physical reliability, I think Viney goes it alone as captain once Jones moves on. If he continues to struggle to stay on field over the next couple of seasons then TMac and Gawn, maybe Brayshaw would be leading candidates, ditto for Lever if he can get back on the park with continuity.

He speaks no worse in public than Jones - he's fine.

Assuming physical reliability, I think Viney goes it alone as captain once Jones moves on. If he continues to struggle to stay on field over the next couple of seasons then TMac and Gawn, maybe Brayshaw would be leading candidates, ditto for Lever if he can get back on the park with continuity.
Yeah agree re the possible replacements mate.
Jones is actually pretty articulate. Can sound a bit slow off the mark but speaks fairly honestly and pretty well to be honest.
Jack nowhere near as good in front of the mic but honestly, who even cares. They've both been able to lead by example on field and provided he can stay fit, Viney is the obvious replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back