Autopsy Round 23, 2018: Hawks defeat swans! Top 4 ******s!

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it was a combo of things, but Clarko definitely changed a lot at the main break. He actually released Titch by giving him spells at half forward, he willed Ruff into the game by giving him prolonged runs in the midfield as a ruckman, he purposely had Silk play more around the coal face, also Silk spent a lot more time on the field this week. We also saw the boys possess the footy, and when we countered the clear directive was to go direct and long with momentum and/or hold the footy and control the speed of the game.

The boys definitely lifted, but I think the coaching staff also earnt their money this week just about more than any other game this year.

I was pretty bullish at half time. Clarkson has Horse over a barrel and I knew he was going to shuffle the deck and that we would have a better 2nd half than them. 19 points wasn't enough for Sydney, they were excellent in the 2nd quarter and umpiring aside (out of our control and theirs) they stuffed up a real chance to be 5 goals up.

The dude is all time.

Maybe it was a combo of things, but Clarko definitely changed a lot at the main break. He actually released Titch by giving him spells at half forward, he willed Ruff into the game by giving him prolonged runs in the midfield as a ruckman, he purposely had Silk play more around the coal face, also Silk spent a lot more time on the field this week. We also saw the boys possess the footy, and when we countered the clear directive was to go direct and long with momentum and/or hold the footy and control the speed of the game.

The boys definitely lifted, but I think the coaching staff also earnt their money this week just about more than any other game this year.

Yep, agree the changes were vital.
Only question really is, can the players do the same job if they start in those positions and 'go' all game at it?
Rough doesn't have 4 quarters or even really 2 full ones to give on the ball.
Titch has gone forward regularly all season.
Silk comes to the coal face when needed. That's what you do when there's a fire, you break silk's glass box. But if you run him there all day does he have the puff to go 5th gear when absolutely categorically must?

There's a flow to a sporting game, even being behind sometimes helps not just motivate your own players to make the run and finish strongest, but also puts the other team in the position of feeling like they need to hold on to their lead and not be the risktakers that got them that lead.

It's such a feel thing, being a great coach.
What I'm stumped by is the suggestion a guy like Clarko, with so very many bloody minutes involved in EVERY aspect of the game, would either dream up a shitty game plan, be unable to recognize as it's going along that it's a shitty game plan, but somehow comes up with the supporters easy peasy solutions as a last resort.

If there is such a thing as a 'gun' in coaching, not just a deep thinker, or innovator, or great motivator, but a gun who steps up in the biggest moments.....
Well, he goes by the name of Alistaire Clarkson.
Even when things are going wrong, and were losing here and there, the man has a decided plan he will not deviate from to please some members or board men, or us.

How can you doubt with what he's done?
Good as our players have been in his tenure, he's made them look even better than anyone else could have.
He's the GOAT.

I think we are both misunderstanding what the other means.

I never said "buddy and parker in, swans win". Im objective but Im not stupid.

Play on.

And I wasn’t referring to you but commentary, which was what my initial post was about. I’ve never used injuries as an excuse, it was who you trotted out the injury lists.

Well done on last night. Another game between our 2 clubs that could of gone either way.
Sydney-Hawthorn Grand Final is possible I believe lol

On last nights umpiring, after having had the chance to sleep on it and watch some replays of the game I must say it is still the absolute worst, most biased umpiring performance I've seen in recent memory. Seriously needs to be some sort of review undertaken because that was beyond an 'off night'. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there was some underworld match fixing at play there.

It's all well and good to follow a team when they're winning, it's when you're losing that your team really needs you.
I have no idea what you are talking about. You too could bathe in this ignorance.

Firstly the ego rush to see himself on the big screen. That alone makes him unfit to umpire.
Secondly where was he when Hardwick clearly touched the ball that was paid as a goal to sydney (capital deliberated ignored). Despite protests he could not get to the centre quick enough to bounce the ball. Another example of his bias and incompetence.

THIS SUMS UP THE UMPIRES!!FFS RAZORCHAMBERLIN

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ironic that the best coach, by a country mile, has never won a coty award. Hard to believe his peers don't vote for him, or not!!!:think:

Ironic? Maybe. Surprising? No. This is the AFL we're talking about. We haven't quite reached the stupidity of the NBA when it comes to awards, but we're getting there. In the NBA last season, the most valuable player didn't win the MVP. The coach of the year got sacked, and the rookie of the year was technically not a rookie. :) Look at awards in the AFL, mark and goal of year is generally a joke, Howe not winning mark of the year in 2017 was ridiculous, and what in hell is coach of the year? For mine, coaches are employed for one reason, to win premierships. Stuff this "They were 10th last year but in the finals this year" rubbish. Coach of the Year should be the premiership coach. End of story.

Last edited:
So this fortnight is a just reward for all the hawthorn supporters who stuck through all the dark times. All these long months of not being in finals. All these struggling times. After the long winter, the darkest night, the stretch of despair, we are back in the sweet, all giving, warm glowing light of finals football.

My wife is an (avid) Collingwood sympathiser and was desperate to play Richmond in the first week of finals.
Before the Coll/Freo game I told her she needed a close win against Freo and Hawks to win by a bit more than what they won by.

She was adamant half way through the last that Coll had blown a top 4 spot. But as it turned out, a 10 point win was a good result for Coll. After the Coll game I told her she needed Hawks to beat Syd by at least 13 points.

She was devo this morning when she woke up this morning and I told her Hawks by 8.

Off to Perth you go (most likely)
Well one to the Club - my wife and her entire family go for the Pies and I was dreading playing them first up.

Might still happen, too...

. It probably would have been a goal the way it was heading (although given the shape of our ball there was a slight chance it could have bounced anywhere except through the goal).
Given the Bruest goal last week that turned 90 degrees he did the right thing.

So this fortnight is a just reward for all the hawthorn supporters who stuck through all the dark times. All these long months of not being in finals. All these struggling times. After the long winter, the darkest night, the stretch of despair, we are back in the sweet, all giving, warm glowing light of finals football.

Well, we've had a full year off from spending $thousands on finals tickets.

Those Saints fans are always so lucky: they save lots of money not having to buy finals tickets, and they don't have to worry about their team performing in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back