Bon Jovi 2018 AFL Grand Final entertainment ? Black Eyed Peas confirmed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grrrr I'm angry because the pre-match entertainment doesn't specifically cater to ME!

I’m not angry at all haha - it’s ******* hilarious.

Seriously as if they had tried to pin point the least impressive ‘get’ possible. I don’t know how these things get past the committee phase without someone speaking up.

To be honest though, I never watch the pre game stuff for the GF, it’s always pretty awful - so enjoy the big show mate.

Why are people so hung up on how recent the act is? Are you just trying to prove your your relevant? Good tunes are timeless I couldn't give a **** if its 1979 or 2018.

As for black eyed peas :poo: :thumbsdown:

This isn't Led Zepplin or Kiss up there, so it's hardly a relevant argument. I'm expecting Peter Andre next year.

The issue myself and many others have with the Peas getting the gig is that taking the risk on the Killers last year absolutely paid off, so to regress the following year to an out of date pop group MINUS their most identifiable member is an embarrassing misstep.
The Killers opened the door for so many other groups or artists who aren't necessarily mega-stars to get the slot and get by on their musical ability as opposed to just their name. The NRL have grabbed the hottest band in Australia and capitalised on it.
I expect next year we get N'Snyc without JT or Destiny's Child without Beyonce. No faith they will ever get it right again.

I attended the game actually.

The Killers were hardly relevant. Like the Black Eyed Peas, their most recent big hits came almost 10 years earlier in "Human" & "Spaceman" off 2008's Day & Age.

I recognise "The Man" & "Run For Cover" became quite popular, but I would argue this success only came after the Grand Final performance and likely wouldn't have happened if they weren't booked to play at the game.

True, wonderful wonderful definitely went to number 1 in the US & UK because the Killers played the AFL grand Final :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the black eyed peas without Fergie.

They might as well just have Barnesy, Farnsey, & Kate Cerbrano every year, that's about as imaginative as they get. I think the problem is they don't want to spend a huge amount to get a current star to perform. The older acts are cheaper.
To be fair there first album was listenable then she joined the group. All down hill from there.

Gee, this is un AFL like to stuff something up. :rolleyes:

Why are people so hung up on how recent the act is? Are you just trying to prove your your relevant? Good tunes are timeless I couldn't give a **** if its 1979 or 2018.

As for black eyed peas :poo: :thumbsdown:

Because the Grand Final would be enhanced with relevant entertainment that accurately captures that moment in time. Imagine if…

- AC/DC performed at the Richmond v Carlton Grand Final in 1980 fresh off the release of Back In Black
- Paul Kelly debuted the then-current Leaps & Bounds at the MCG for the first time in 1987
- INXS worked the Grand Final into their 1988 Kick World Tour
- Crowded House played Weather With You and a host of their other hits in 1992
- You Am I flew the flag for 90s Aussie rock with Berlin Chair in 1994
- Empire Of The Sun unleashed the brand new Walking On A Dream in 2008
- Gotye performed global superhit Somebody I Used To Know in 2011
- Sia showed off some genuine Australian female talent with an epic performance of Chandelier in 2014
- Australia’s biggest contemporary band Tame Impala played off the back of Currents in 2015

These performances would create iconic moments, attract a wider audience/bigger ratings and establish the Grand Final’s reputation as a world class sporting event. Although I do not believe it's essential, booking current global international superstar acts would lift things to another level again.

Instead, we embarrass ourselves with awfully outdated subpar performances from INXS with JD Fortune (lol) in 2010, Meat Loaf in 2011, Bryan Adams in 2015, The Living End in 2016 and now the Black Eyed Peas. It is truly mickey mouse stuff from the AFL and genuinely cringeworthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back