Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy to admit I was wrong about Doedee. Apart from any potential go-home factor, I still have a lingering doubt did we go too early on him in the draft?
The kid can sure play though.

I'm happy to admit I was wrong about Doedee. Apart from any potential go-home factor, I still have a lingering doubt did we go too early on him in the draft?
The kid can sure play though.
The draft pick we used on him could well be a bit high but that year, we traded in Menzel, Hampton & Seedsman and ended with two r1 picks with only about two available list spots after the trading period so we had no choice but to use our second r1 pick on Doedee (having made a bid on Himmelberg first).

Had Hamish & Co knew we would draft Doedee, they might have freed up another list spot and traded down our second r1 pick into two picks to get Doedee and someone else but that's the way our picks ended up in 2015.

So this morning and afternoon I made a few calls and asked a few questions.

I can say that I am very, very confident Tom will be signing an extension. Discussions are well underway, offers have been made and Tom is looking at purchasing a house in Adelaide. There is no intent from him to look elsewhere.

I believe we might be looking at a 3 year extension. If it was me I'd offer a 5 year deal starting (replacing the existing contract) in 2019 - so essentially a 4 year extension.

Oh apologies.

Certainly.

Both seem like get the job done, quiet kinda fellas.

Lever has a bit of look at me about him
Just a bit? I went to a Melbourne training session with a mate this pre season and he reckons he's gods gift.

I can say that I am very, very confident Tom will be signing an extension. Discussions are well underway, offers have been made and Tom is looking at purchasing a house in Adelaide. There is no intent from him to look elsewhere.

I believe we might be looking at a 3 year extension. If it was me I'd offer a 5 year deal starting (replacing the existing contract) in 2019 - so essentially a 4 year extension.

3 is probably smarter at this point, after all, we've only seen one season from Doedee at this level so there is a fair bit of risk going for the 5.

Equally, 3 means he's out of contract the season before he hits FA (in current conditions) which means it should be more value for him if he decides to leave, especially as I have my doubts that he'll ever attract a tier 1 contract from any club purely due to being a mid sized defender and that is truly no mans land in terms of likely salary.

3 is probably smarter at this point, after all, we've only seen one season from Doedee at this level so there is a fair bit of risk going for the 5.

Equally, 3 means he's out of contract the season before he hits FA (in current conditions) which means it should be more value for him if he decides to leave, especially as I have my doubts that he'll ever attract a tier 1 contract from any club purely due to being a mid sized defender and that is truly no mans land in terms of likely salary.
Wouldn’t it be the opposite as we are seeing now? It’s better to have them in contract approaching their free agency qualification so if they do plan on leaving you sign them contracted and get more.

Mid sized defender isn’t no mans land, you are making that up. Lever wasn’t worth the big bucks because he couldn’t defend but intercept and spoil. Doedee has shown he can defend and intercept. His value will only increase.

I think I'm turning gay for Doedee.

And he's only 1 year into his AFL career:rainbow:

Wouldn’t it be the opposite as we are seeing now? It’s better to have them in contract approaching their free agency qualification so if they do plan on leaving you sign them contracted and get more.

Mid sized defender isn’t no mans land, you are making that up. Lever wasn’t worth the big bucks because he couldn’t defend but intercept and spoil. Doedee has shown he can defend and intercept. His value will only increase.

That might be it, ideally, try to force them out a year or two earlier if they're planning on leaving. Though, I feel that's a very hit and miss strategy.

The only reason Lever got that money was that he had that and was a KPD height, thereby meaning he had a shot at transitioning to a more attacking CHB. If you haven't noticed the push recently has been to have a more offensive CHB with how highly players like McGovern and Rance have been rated. That is seeing the boom forwards/rucks had in the early part of this decade. Now, Doedee doesn't have that by virtue of genetics so no, his value won't increase by much. It'll plateau because at this point for it to increase he either needs to grow 6cms or move into the midfield as I'd have him in the upper echelon of what he can earn as a mid sized defender currently (450-500k)

Mid sized defenders are the no mans land of football salary wise. Too small to be a KPD, and not an outside enough to get the money a half back can potentially attract (and therefore not being able to get in on the money a midfielder attracts). If he is lucky and can max out every tool he had, he might see a 600k contract. He'll never be in the realm of the top contracts because that money will always be prioritised elsewhere (namely midfield and KP). After all, the position Doedee is in exists on the basis it is cheap to run and act as one that should always give more performance then what it is attracting salary wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draft pick we used on him could well be a bit high but that year, we traded in Menzel, Hampton & Seedsman and ended with two r1 picks with only about two available list spots after the trading period so we had no choice but to use our second r1 pick on Doedee (having made a bid on Himmelberg first).

Had Hamish & Co knew we would draft Doedee, they might have freed up another list spot and traded down our second r1 pick into two picks to get Doedee and someone else but that's the way our picks ended up in 2015.
Imagine if we ended up with Milera, Himmelberg and Doedee out of that draft... Would have been huge!

Our 2015 off season’s turning out to be decent, despite losing Danger and getting Menz/Hampton. It’s given us 3 great best 22 players in Milera, Doedee and Seed
And yet after every single trade/draft pick we all lose our s**t. The club constantly tells everyone to wait and judge based on the overall period, not individual pieces of the puzzle. Hopefully this year we will do exactly that.

Let's stop this talk of 'character' in relation to contracts. Talia has stayed because he is well paid and his other half is from here.

Money, lifestyle, premierships chances determine where a player plays. The order of importance depends on the individual circumstances.
Mate, you're pretty naive if you think a persons character isn't a factor in re-contracting with a club. And by character, I mean placing an importance and emphasis on things like mateship, loyalty and commitment.

It's would never be the sole factor for any player, and it doesn't mean as much these days as it used to (think Garry McIntosh etc..), but it's still very much a thing in determining if players stick with the club.

Extention worked well for McGovern. It really secured his services

It really has. We've gone from being in a position of weakness to a very strong one in any trade from it.

It really has. We've gone from being in a position of weakness to a very strong one in any trade from it.

Very true. Too often we let one player a year be the attention of off season & forget the good work our recruitment team do.

I remember all the negative comments when we drafted him. I may of thrown a few myself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back