Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that Barrett is worth a dogs a-hole but he wrote that if Doedee played for a Vic team he would be much ccloser to equal favourite with Stephenson.

Love how overt the media is these days in confirming inequity in the comp. And none of them care, they just see it as a matter of fact.

Not that Barrett is worth a dogs a-hole but he wrote that if Doedee played for a Vic team he would be much ccloser to equal favourite with Stephenson.

Love how overt the media is these days in confirming inequity in the comp. And none of them care, they just see it as a matter of fact.

To be fair, that's more of a comment on media bias than bias within the AFL itself.

Indeed interesting to look back on those draft night reactions.

No question he's silenced the doubters on ability alone, but I did notice a common theme in the complaining that, being from Geelong, he's be a potential flight risk.

I guess that part of the deal is yet to be determined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 2 aspects of his initial drafting:

1) whether his ability warranted a first rounder: that’s been answered in the affirmative
2) will he stay? That’s the unknown. I wouldn’t be having digs at posters who had this concern. Last year of his contract, let’s re-sign him now on a long term deal.

I'd like to claim that I'm a genius for identifying this. But really I was just going by Ogilvie knowing what he was doing.
He picked a kid well ahead of that expected. He picked him over a highly rated SA kid. He doesn't do that sort of stuff on a whim. He does it because he knows exactly what he is doing.

I've since met Tom on a few occasions - he is an absolute ripper guy as well. He ticks every box Ogilvie looks for.

#trustOgilvie

1) whether his ability warranted a first rounder: that’s been answered in the affirmative
2) will he stay? That’s the unknown. I wouldn’t be having digs at posters who had this concern. Last year of his contract, let’s re-sign him now on a long term deal.
Exactly - fair enough to pop the corks in relation to talent.

But the go home reservations expressed by many remain, wouldn't be ridiculing those concerns this early.

This will be an interesting test for the club. I am very critical of our normal payment structure and fully believe it has led to our younger players being picked off by other clubs. Tom will attract interest from other clubs. If we are smart we sign him up on good dollars on a longer deal (5 years). I just hope we haven't put too many dollars in players just past their peak like we normally do.

Doedee is A class quality, both in footballing ability and in character. Hopefully he’s the Talia-mould, and forms a lengthy career with us!
Let's stop this talk of 'character' in relation to contracts. Talia has stayed because he is well paid and his other half is from here.

Money, lifestyle, premierships chances determine where a player plays. The order of importance depends on the individual circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back