Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melted mine after Round 2 against North
So did plenty i imagine!
This year Saints fans have come up with the novel groundbreaking tradition
of doing it preseason!

Its called the Micro Pre Melt!
Sure to take off with all Blues fans too!

Let's compare midfields.

Hawks: Mitchell, JOM, Shiels, Smith.... then kids
Carlton: Cripps, Murphy, Curnow, then kids.
Saints: Steven, Hanners, Ross, Steele, then kids.

We can match it with anyone. Our kids are on the cusp of really showing their ability, our kids have more ability than Hawthorns and are two or three seasons ahead of Carlton's.

I hope Ratten went along to the meeting with Shiel, isn't he known for his structures and analysing opposition teams? He could've easily picked apart Hawthorns list and shown why we are a better prospect, regardless of the extra $4m in our offer.

Haha, when I left Australia, I dumped my duel fuel 1974 Kingswood Stationwagon with benxh-style front seats outside the Salvos with my old mattress in the back. Always wondered what happened to it. So many beautiful memories with that car but a lot of frustration too, a lot of failure and breakdowns, a lot of time spent getting fixed. Hope it's not still there it was over a decade ago.
just a few parking tickets ...

We have to pay what we have to pay. What I find strange is you say our trading has been ok and our drafting poor but every year we are linked to a proven high paying player you say you want to draft. Isn’t doing the same thing over and over again and failing a sign of madness
I always want top talent like Gaff. I baulked at paying overs for players but it looks good value now throwing huge money at guys like Kelly, Dusty and Fyfe. We are talking of huge contracts to the next tier down now. It's a players market now with A graders asking for elite money. If we get Shiel it's a good result but don't want to get into an bidding war in desperation. At some point our form will turn and guys like Billings, Gresham and Steele will get similar offers to move. If we take $2 million a year out or our cap for Hanners and Shiel who are similar players we don't have as much to spread around.
Also means that two of three midfield spots are gone on 4 to 5 year deals and we need to fit Steven, Steele, Ross etc in, good luck to Hunter or Gresh getting a run. North have gone after outside runners which is a more modern set up. We are going after inside contested players. Melbourne are the only other team who set up predominantly around inside mids. I know both can spread but Hanners can't because of his groins and Shiel struggles with his shoulders in tight.
To me we are the point we should still be drafting and when an obvious hole appears we should pull the dollars out. Shielcould cost us 2 firsts and Hanners next years second. We will literally sit out of the best part of 2 drafts with a s**t list. I'm no Einstein but that sounds dumb management, especially when it feels like they are trying to make Ricoh extending look like a good plan.

Just pay the money and get it done.

We need to improve our list any way we can.

Draft? OK, so let's stay bottom four for a few more years. Less members, less attendance.

Shiel isn't a Messiah, he's there to improve our list.

Him and fit Hanners gives us two A grade players overnight.

Forget the $$$. Why overpay existing c grade players?

Get Shiel... Memberships up, attendances up, wins up, make finals. Attract more big guns.

No brainer IMO.

Last edited:
I always want top talent like Gaff. I baulked at paying overs for players but it looks good value now throwing huge money at guys like Kelly, Dusty and Fyfe. We are talking of huge contracts to the next tier down now. It's a players market now with A graders asking for elite money. If we get Shiel it's a good result but don't want to get into an bidding war in desperation. At some point our form will turn and guys like Billings, Gresham and Steele will get similar offers to move. If we take $2 million a year out or our cap for Hanners and Shiel who are similar players we don't have as much to spread around.
Also means that two of three midfield spots are gone on 4 to 5 year deals and we need to fit Steven, Steele, Ross etc in, good luck to Hunter or Gresh getting a run. North have gone after outside runners which is a more modern set up. We are going after inside contested players. Melbourne are the only other team who set up predominantly around inside mids. I know both can spread but Hanners can't because of his groins and Shiel struggles with his shoulders in tight.
To me we are the point we should still be drafting and when an obvious hole appears we should pull the dollars out. Shielcould cost us 2 firsts and Hanners next years second. We will literally sit out of the best part of 2 drafts with a s**t list. I'm no Einstein but that sounds dumb management, especially when it feels like they are trying to make Ricoh extending look like a good plan.
Negativity Sans Frontiers...

I don't know why you just don't enjoy your holiday and precious time with your family instead of arguing with clowns like me...

I'm sitting on a deck out over Kocula drinking coffee overlooking the old city and port. The family is still asleep. This is the best part of the day arguing with you campaigners. Serenity while I watch guys in mega yachts compensate for something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really want Shiel. But if GWS were to demand 2 firsts then we simply walk away!
No way he costs that much imo!

I’m not an ITK but the Richo stuff I’ve now heard from 3 completely different places. Must have legs I feel as most leaks info-wise have proven correct thus far: New President, Ratten, Hanners, Kent & now Harvey
What’s the word RE Cho??

Just pay the money and get it done.

We need to improve our list any way we can.

Draft? OK, so let's stay bottom four for a few more years. Less members, less attendance.

Shiel isn't a Messiah, he's there to improve our list.

Him and fit Hangers gives us two A grade players overnight.

Forget the $$$. Why overpay existing c grade players?

Get Shiel... Memberships up, attendances up, wins up, make finals. Attract more big guns.

No brainer IMO.

Agreed, but he needs to pick us. I still see the most likely outcome as him going to the Hawks (not sure how they get it done but they got Mitchel and O'meara one year so they'll figure it out), and then we go to the draft and get King. Next year a rinse and repeate as we go hard at Kelly and Coniglio.

Negativity Sans Frontiers...

You do know people having differing views doesn't equate to negativity don't you? It's a subtle thing but if you process it a bit slower you'll get it.

So let’s get this straight. You have said we need mids so we target mids and now we shouldn’t because the young guys won’t get a run. I don’t get that at all. Hanners plays wing if fit and Shiel can play an outside game better than an inside game. Both are ideal for us because we couldn’t get gaff. You are confusing.

Here we go again looking at the worst case. You are the only one saying could cost 2 firsts. Just out of interest are you Jewish. My dad is and he always looks for the most negative things.

What about this for an idea. Shiel costs one first. Hanners costs one second but we get something back from players being traded. Hanners is fully fit and Shiel has his best year because he gets to be the main man in the middle. We win more games like north and then other good players see the improvement and we tgen don’t have to pay overs to get them. Do you like that idea. I do.

I'm sitting on a deck out over Kocula drinking coffee overlooking the old city and port. The family is still asleep. This is the best part of the day arguing with you campaigners. Serenity while I watch guys in mega yachts compensate for something.
Would love it, I'd wake up somewhere in Britain or Ireland, see this thread was 7 pages longer, and then realise five were about Hickey v Longer, or some other drivel

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are in the same position this year as north were last year .. horrible year they were literally linked with every player on huge money and we were commenting how desperate they were..

Now they showed promise and look at them now .. players want to go there.. and look at us .. this poor year could have set us back years

And like North a promising year will make us a respectable destination again. We just need to get back into being a competitive club again. I think we will probably make the ground up we lost next year and will be an easier sell. If Shiel goes to Carlton and Gaff and Polec to North we have a lot of money for Kelly or any other top player that wants a pay day.

I couldput you in touch with a few relatives. You'd fit in nicely with those whinging campaigners lol.

Enjoy you big pichka...

Would love it, I'd wake up somewhere in Britain or Ireland, see this thread was 7 pages longer, and then realise five were about Hickey v Longer, or some other drivel

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im so confused about the Longer hickey battle I cant remember which one I rate. Think it was Acres in the end.

And like North a promising year will make us a respectable destination again. We just need to get back into being a competitive club again. I think we will probably make the ground up we lost next year and will be an easier sell. If Shiel goes to Carlton and Gaff and Polec to North we have a lot of money for Kelly or any other top player that wants a pay day.

Yes and it will be rinse and report. Got to get them while you can. I can see it now. next year when cant get anyone people will say we should have taken Shiel last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back