Universal Love The Kelly Gang

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any backlash against her doesn't help Geelong. It only helps some Geelong supporters feel good about the situation. Backlash makes her want to go back to Perth all the more, and Tim along with it. It weakens GFC's hand if there are to be negotiations, as the Kelly's will be all the more adamant to want out.

If he wants to go next year and she keeps up with this, we won't care about negotiations. I honestly think Wells and the club were not happy at all at how the manager and Caitlin tried to manipulate the situation in their favour. I could honestly see a scenario where it gets to next year and we just match his contract offer, get a trade, or send him to the draft and let Fremantle or Gold Coast have him.

My thought now is though, if he goes to the draft and gets picked up by West Coast, does he then get picked up as a first year rookie then? How does that work? Because if it is all about money and she wants that 2020 600K a year contract, then doesn't going back to the draft jeopardize that? If that were the case, then they would want a trade no matter what.

She has 3 kids and lives on the opposite side of the country. She would be a bit.
I think we as footy fans aren't used to this family situation and are a bit put out by someone who doesn't give a flying faark about fans, footy clubs etc.

Very ignorant or selfish, take your pick, to not analyse the implications of entering into a professional contract and then sulking and conducting yourself in such a poor manner after doing so.

Any backlash against her doesn't help Geelong. It only helps some Geelong supporters feel good about the situation. Backlash makes her want to go back to Perth all the more, and Tim along with it. It weakens GFC's hand if there are to be negotiations, as the Kelly's will be all the more adamant to want out.

Backlash might make them want to go to Perth more but it doesn't help him get there in fact it makes it harder to achieve. There's a reason why you don't see guys like Connors and Petroro (who both get deals done) allow their clients to behave like this in public. Van Der Weilen is out of his depth.

looking at a trade situation that was for similar reasons - Jesse Hogan has spoken about his reasons for requesting a trade back home to Perth;

"To come from the bottom and see the list now and how close they potentially are to winning a flag, that was a serious factor going into this," he said.

"But I sat down with Simon Goodwin at the end of the year and had a really good chat about where I was at mentally and as a footballer.

"Obviously I do want to play in finals and flags, but at this stage it was more important to get back around my family and friends, and have a fresh start."

Other articles also talk about the pay cut that Hogan has taken to join Fremantle - so doesn't seem to be a money driven decision.

Here is a player who when fit is best 18 at his former club & acknowledges they are close to a potential flag but made the decision of what was more important to him going forward in his career & that was family.

I wonder if at any stage when Kelly, his family & manager were discussing the potential trade back to WA for family reasons, if any of them actually said, "if family is the most important reason for the move then we have to be open to moving to either club, based on who is willing to actually get the deal done"; I'm not doubting that family is a key factor in his request for a trade back to WA but considering how things played out, I question if family was actually the most important reason which is what his manager continued to push onto Geelong as why they needed to trade him home rather than it being pushed onto WCE as to why they needed to stump up a suitable trade.

I hope we don't continue to hear or read articles like this over the next 11 months.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5712547/pull-of-home-trumps-afl-success-for-hogan/

Last edited:
Not a bad wrap from a bloke who spent just the one year at the club for one senior game. See, recruiting Sam Blease was a masterstroke in hindsight. :D

I may be wrong or thinking of the wrong bloke but I THINK Blease was dealing with some personal issues while at the Cats.
Depression perhaps? Not sure... there was something though, so maybe it does come from experience aswell.

Just mind numbingly poor advice they are getting.. To flame the club for a lack of support after not being traded is just naive to the extreme

I may be wrong or thinking of the wrong bloke but I THINK Blease was dealing with some personal issues while at the Cats.
Depression perhaps? Not sure... there was something though, so maybe it does come from experience aswell.
Concussion it seems. So you're right, he'd have a pretty good idea about the welfare and support provided by the club.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...of-afl-headknock-victims-20150831-gjbwof.html
Geelong midfielder Sam Blease has become the third player forced into retirement because of concussion this year.

In a strong sign clubs and players are improving their handling of head injuries, Blease, a former Demon, joins North Melbourne's Leigh Adams and Brisbane's Matt Maguire in retirement.

Possibly depression, but definitely concussion issues hence the early retirement.

Not if it's not solely from Geelong supporters. Many other club's supporters are reacting in the same way too. As long as Geelong don't respond, they will come out better from this.

It'll make her, and thus her family, want away from where the controversy and vilification is coming from - Victoria. Geelong don't come out any better from this, the situation dragging on only makes it worse. There is no upside for Geelong. Some one-eyed supporters may be looking for that upside, but it's just not there. What's transpired has longer term consequences for Geelong with their 'we'll trade you to Freo but not WC despite the similar offers'. Early on, WC were willing to trade 20+22 for Sydney's pick 13. That was rejected by Geelong. Sydney needed the points for academy players at the time, so they were ok with it. Towards the end, Geelong say they would've accepted Freo's 14+31. Geelong haven't been consistent. Geelong playing this game leads to relationship and reputation damage that is going to be felt in the coming years. Geelong don't come out better in the wash.

She has a husband who made nearly 200K next year and is complaining about not getting free flights, which Geelong can't do due to the cap. That screams of entitlement, and people do not like that.

If that's what you want to make the issue about, that's up to you. Caitlin's issues with GFC run a bit deeper than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A major difference of a football club to a regular workplace is that in the regular world if you get multiple job offers it's not mandatory to go to the workplace that offered you a job first.
He makes 120,000 a year. Have you ever worked with a poor electrician?
I don't see what the problem is. Anyone's missus would bitch about the same things & he's gonna front up next year and play well.

He would of made significantly more than 120k a year is my bet. That's before all the club benefits and expenses paid by geelong.

It'll make her, and thus her family, want away from where the controversy and vilification is coming from - Victoria. Geelong don't come out any better from this, the situation dragging on only makes it worse. There is no upside for Geelong. Some one-eyed supporters may be looking for that upside, but it's just not there. What's transpired has longer term consequences for Geelong with their 'we'll trade you to Freo but not WC despite the similar offers'. Early on, WC were willing to trade 20+22 for Sydney's pick 13. That was rejected by Geelong. Sydney needed the points for academy players at the time, so they were ok with it. Towards the end, Geelong say they would've accepted Freo's 14+31. Geelong haven't been consistent. Geelong playing this game leads to relationship and reputation damage that is going to be felt in the coming years. Geelong don't come out better in the wash.

If that's what you want to make the issue about, that's up to you. Caitlin's issues with GFC run a bit deeper than that.

This is not the club's doing, and nor were they inconsistent.

The Kelly's have been duplicitous, relied on a shonky manager to employ grubby tactics, and been conned by the WCE.

WCE were playing funny buggers trying to piss around with these 2nd round picks. Even at the death Geelong willing to take those junk picks + 2019 1st was a bit disappointing, but the Eagles still wanted to deal in 2nd round picks. The want to take the moral high ground by the Eagle supporters is equally as pathetic as anything coming out of Geelong supporters.

No it wasn't, it was rejected by the Swans, as per Tom Harley.
If you really think the GFC would just spitefully trade him to freo over WCE even with equal deals.. well I can't help you.
Wells is THE best in the competition when it comes to trading, particularly for "personal" reasons and would never consider that an option.
Geelong don't want a few speculative picks in the mid 20s, they wanted a top pick. Freo had that, WCE didn't, regardless of the bullshit "points" value.

So, it goes something like this, then...

ROSS: Nice to meet you, Tim. Thanks for coming in.

TIM: Thanks for meeting me, boss. Good to have a chat to someone in the system about my prospects of playing in the AFL.

ROSS: Yes, so about that...I don't see how you'll ever make it as an AFL player.

TIM: Riiiight. So what was the point of having me in to talk, in that case?

ROSS: Well, that's just the way I roll. Always worthwhile to waste everyone's time having a redundant meeting to tell someone something I can't possibly know for sure. And to burn any bridges for the future, just in case you do actually amount to something.

TIM: O.....K. So that's that, then?

ROSS: Yes, I think so. Got to keep moving, you know. After all, I've got another one of these at 11 where I'll sit with yet another draft hopeful and try to crush his dreams of ever making it in footy as well. You would think I might have better ways to spend my time, being a head coach in the AFL and all. But I find this passes the time rather well. (maniacal laughing ensues)

TIM: Weeeell, I guess I'll be going then. It's been.......real, I guess. (leaves)

ROSS: (picks up phone) Sharon, can you send in my 11 a.m. now? Only three more of these and then I can break for lunch, right? (grins)

Believe what you want believe. Whatever tickles your ears...

She has 3 kids and lives on the opposite side of the country. She would be a bit.
I think we as footy fans aren't used to this family situation and are a bit put out by someone who doesn't give a flying faark about fans, footy clubs etc.
I haven’t meet many teen mums that are mature or have extensive life skills

She comes across and very immature and lacks the life skills to know the consequences of what she’s doing.

So no she isn’t “world- savvy” just another teenage mum with a bunch of kids who haven’t grown up.

It isn’t her fault, it’s due to her life experience which she probbly has very little.

Actually, Geelong was very consistent in their approach and from everything that has come out, they were the side to make the most compromises in terms of trying to facilitate a trade for Kelly. This is the timeline of things going down in regards to Kelly:

August 18:
"The obvious candidate now is Tim Kelly if we wanted to get a first round pick or even two you could do probably go down that path but we have no intention of considering that seriously," Cook said.

"At the end of this year we will not be considering [offers]".

October 8:
“His value’s increased enormously and it’s going to have to be an exceptional deal for us to even consider it,” Geelong list manager Stephen Wells said on Trade Radio.

"Definitely he's worth a top-10 pick, I would've thought, and perhaps more.

"Our intention at the moment, unless we're totally satisfied, is he will be playing for us in 2019."

Yesterday:
Negotiations reportedly stalled inside the last five minutes before the NAB AFL Trade deadline, with West Coast's offer of picks 20 and 22 and a future second-round pick not satisfying Geelong.
It is understood the Cats were demanding the two selections in the 20s and a future first-round choice.

If the first offer from WCE was for them to do a deal to get pick 13 why should anyone be surprised when Geelong said no, because the request from Geelong at that stage was "Top 10 pick and perhaps more" - pick 13 after the first 2 or 3 days of the trade period isn't a top 10 pick & definitely isn't top 10 and perhaps more; Geelong was well within their rights to stand firm on what they had asked. Did WCE try to get that top 10 pick or did they decide that pick 13 was close enough to a top 10 that they didn't have to try harder to make it happen?

By the final day Geelong further compromised their stance and would have accepted the ok picks in the 20s but wanted a genuine first round pick in that of WCE's 2019 first round pick

Geelong handled themselves with full professionalism throughout the whole ordeal, at no stage did they go running to the media to melt when things weren't going there way or complain when they didn't get the result they wanted.

Article 1 link: https://outline.com/9SkaXK

Article 2 link: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...long-have-set-their-demands-for-tim-kelly/amp

Article 3 link: http://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-10-17/kelly-stays-a-cat

Last edited:
I haven’t meet many teen mums that are mature or have extensive life skills

She comes across and very immature and lacks the life skills to know the consequences of what she’s doing.

So no she isn’t “world- savvy” just another teenage mum with a bunch of kids who haven’t grown up.

It isn’t her fault, it’s due to her life experience which she probbly has very little.

And all the more reason she should be consulting wiser counsel before talking.

No it wasn't, it was rejected by the Swans, as per Tom Harley.
If you really think the GFC would just spitefully trade him to freo over WCE even with equal deals.. well I can't help you.
Wells is THE best in the competition when it comes to trading, particularly for "personal" reasons and would never consider that an option.
Geelong don't want a few speculative picks in the mid 20s, they wanted a top pick. Freo had that, WCE didn't, regardless of the bullshit "points" value.

That on top of the fact pulsedriver has no idea how contracts work in the AFL. If he could be traded to fremantle for 14+31 it would of happened.

3 signatures required to facilitate a trade unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back