Universal Love The Kelly Gang

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backlash might make them want to go to Perth more but it doesn't help him get there in fact it makes it harder to achieve. There's a reason why you don't see guys like Connors and Petroro (who both get deals done) allow their clients to behave like this in public. Van Der Weilen is out of his depth.

The only reason reason Kelly stayed is due to contract. That's no longer an issue. Backlash doesn't make a deal harder to achieve in this case, for Geelong no longer have a contract to fall back upon. If Freo finish well down the ladder, their 1st pick doesn't get used on taking Kelly. He goes to WC in the draft, unless Geelong play ball.

And all the more reason she should be consulting wiser counsel before talking.
I’m just staggered that TK allows all of this to happens, this talk and belief wouldn’t be coming solely from her.

It appears he’s allowing others to do the damage and keep his hands clean.

It'll make her, and thus her family, want away from where the controversy and vilification is coming from - Victoria. Geelong don't come out any better from this, the situation dragging on only makes it worse. There is no upside for Geelong. Some one-eyed supporters may be looking for that upside, but it's just not there. What's transpired has longer term consequences for Geelong with their 'we'll trade you to Freo but not WC despite the similar offers'. Early on, WC were willing to trade 20+22 for Sydney's pick 13. That was rejected by Geelong. Sydney needed the points for academy players at the time, so they were ok with it. Towards the end, Geelong say they would've accepted Freo's 14+31. Geelong haven't been consistent. Geelong playing this game leads to relationship and reputation damage that is going to be felt in the coming years. Geelong don't come out better in the wash.

If that's what you want to make the issue about, that's up to you. Caitlin's issues with GFC run a bit deeper than that.
Yes because you just know the whole scenario. You're not Anthony Van Der Wielen are you?

News flash, 14 + 31 is more than 13. Looks like they were pretty consistent, given that they asked for a top 10 pick or he wouldn't be traded. Didn't get a top 10 pick, wasn't traded.

Pretty damn consistent to me.

P.S. She's only further inviting vilification, if she agrees to paid interviews like this where she continues to add fuel to the fire. She has no-one but herself to blame for this one.

A major difference of a football club to a regular workplace is that in the regular world if you get multiple job offers it's not mandatory to go to the workplace that offered you a job first.
He makes 120,000 a year. Have you ever worked with a poor electrician?
I don't see what the problem is. Anyone's missus would bitch about the same things & he's gonna front up next year and play well.

Ahh he's on more than 120k.

Base salary would be around 100k, then match payments of about 2.5-3k.

But that doesn't gain him any points!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The following aren't the words of someone who has been thrown under the bus.

z7IAspF.jpg

No one is suggesting the move with three kids was easy. However, she could have achieved a better and more harmonious outcome by speaking to the CEO or those in charge of welfare privately. Our reputation in player welfare matters is up there with the best.

I can recall the interview with Caitlin before the Carji. She looked displeased to be there and when asked about having a babysitter so they could have some fun her response was something along the lines of the children aren't happy.

And the outburst runs counter to the comments of Tim's manager who said if it was possible to move the club to Perth, Tim would have re-signed.

No club is perfect and if we could have been more helpful off field, privately addressing the issues was always going to be more helpful to Tim and that should have been her foremost consideration. Self serving for mine.
Honestly, that sounds like a completely innocent quote to me. The woman is raising three small children - one with special needs - pretty much on her jack.

Hypothetically:
REPORTER: There's been a lot of backlash over the various public statements about a "genuine need" to move back to Western Australia. Why hasn't this all been done behind closed doors?
MILLER: Because I'd like people to understand how hard it is for us away from family. Although I'd like to keep some part of my life private, I don't feel like I can give a true indication without letting people know how it really is.

Last edited:
Another interesting scenario... .

What if, just if, Lyon (and WC's doubts) are somehow proven right and Kelly comes back to the field and fails to take the next step in 2019 with the extra on-field attention he'll now receive?
The flipside of that is, who gets off the leash while he cops it. As long as he is playing the role it should be a win either way... unless a form slump sees him back in the 2's. At 24 he should return better prepared for a second season. Could be wrong but I'll back him in for an improved year.

Ahh he's on more than 120k.

Base salary would be around 100k, then match payments of about 2.5-3k.

But that doesn't gain him any points!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Match day payments are reported as 5K in your first year and 7K in your second year. He played 23 matches this year, made 115K in match payments. Plus his initial 120K, makes it around $235K for the year.

Cry me a ******* river lol. Most people get paid 50-80K. Even some of the highest earning electricians only make 120K or so. He's making double that and she's still not happy and we still have to pay for her flights.

Tell me? What did she actually spend that extra 180K or so on this year? That part really pisses me off.

The flipside of that is, who gets off the leash while he cops it. As long as he is playing the role it should be a win either way... unless a form slump sees him back in the 2's. At 24 he should return better prepared for a second season. Could be wrong but I'll back him in for an improved year.
That's the part I find interesting. West Coast have already shown 6 times that 'they're just not that into him.' If he has a down year, he loses out on his contract offer from West Coast and Freo or us can offer him significant unders. It's not in his best interests to play poorly if he wants to go home.

Tough situation.

Lots of people have played their hands poorly. Sadly, some think Geelong are the evil ones in all this. You're not... not that you need vindication.

1) Kelly nominates for the draft. You do that knowing it's the AFL not the EAGLESFL.
2) Kelly dominates, perspectives change and doors open. Good for him... but don't forget you're contracted for 2 years and at the end of the day that's where the story should end... obviously it doesn't.

3) Freo - Can I just say yeah we may have a toxic culture and yeah this and that... but the Kelly family is EAGLES through and through. That's the actual sticking point that really needs to be made clear, regardless of any other innuendo people think. We can sniff around all we like... at the end of the day he had a choice between family and Geelong. He choose Geelong... so again the story should end there.

4) Kelly's manager - In terms of 'managing' his client, he played his hand terribly. He placed his hand down on the table face up. Amatuer move... to then take a shot at Freo in the process? Well it was as unprofessional a move as one could make. He thought he was being powerful. It was a pathetic move that gave Freo and Geelong all the power. Freo could've offered the number 1 pick knowing full well Kelly wasn't moving. Freo played their hand and called out his 'desperation' to go home. It may have seemed like nothing but Freo basically said 'I raise your face up hand and bet my house'. Kelly's manager had no play here. He had to fold. Truth is we were holding a busted flush.

5) Demands - It was made clear. Eagles IMO made an assumption they could bundle turd. They were wrong and only have themselves to blame. If they wanted a pick inside 10 desperately enough they'd have found it. Talks only 'break down' at the end when you've started to realise Geelong wasn't bluffing. There's no way this deal shouldn't have gone down IF Eagles played ball. There's no way there should have been a scramble at the end. ALL EAGLES fault.

6) Now the family - Why make the comments made when you're still at the club for 2019? It's distasteful and not required. They're clearly burned by the fact Kelly will be on a 2nd year player's wage instead of $500,000 a year OR MORE. I don't like the term suck it up... but it's not far from it.

Where to? It's clear he will leave in 12 months barring an unforeseen monumental shift in thinking.

Good post up until here.

Just have to move on and be professional now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suck it up princess. You dug your hole by not going to Freo now lie in it. Geelong was prepared to do a deal.
No sympathy.
It wasn't her who didn't want to go to Freo IMO.

My guess is that she doesn't want to stay outside Western Australia in her current family situation.
Tim doesn't want to go to Freo.

The middle road is to sit it out another 12 months.

It'll make her, and thus her family, want away from where the controversy and vilification is coming from
Surely when a person posts on SM or gives interviews to major media outlets that include criticisms of major organizations, knows, understands and expects that there will be a backlash and it will include absolutely the worst filth that humanity has the capacity for. A user of SM must surely understand how public comments work in the internet age. A competent agent/manager would understand the reactions as well. Cynical use of or ignorance of media?
Why are 99% of all athlete-media interaction bland as pastel off-white?

The plane ticket comment was in the article? If yes, it was also what about a week ago? Again I wonder if the interview was done earlier and published now to cynically snag some clicks.

I’m just staggered that TK allows all of this to happens, this talk and belief wouldn’t be coming solely from her.

It appears he’s allowing others to do the damage and keep his hands clean.

In the absence of any direct communication from Kelly, his manager and partner are veritably shouting his viewpoint on every available platform.

He cannot be distanced from their messaging as he has clearly been party to all of it before its publication.

At best, he is beholden to both of them. At worst, he is totally comfortable to have his preferred propaganda trumpeted by them without taking responsibility for it himself.

And, as in almost all cases, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

That's the part I find interesting. West Coast have already shown 6 times that 'they're just not that into him.' If he has a down year, he loses out on his contract offer from West Coast and Freo or us can offer him significant unders. It's not in his best interests to play poorly if he wants to go home.
That's true. If he ever needed motivation there it is. Yet contracts aside... the way he goes about it, he just looks like a guy who loves to be out there doing what he does best. That type of player is an investment in the future.

think Kelly manager and WC should be the ones defending themselves

why the misses singled out GFC

WC are the ones who needed to make the deal
next year Freo might pick him up in the draft,

I like to see that happen

It'll make her, and thus her family, want away from where the controversy and vilification is coming from - Victoria. Geelong don't come out any better from this, the situation dragging on only makes it worse. There is no upside for Geelong. Some one-eyed supporters may be looking for that upside, but it's just not there. What's transpired has longer term consequences for Geelong with their 'we'll trade you to Freo but not WC despite the similar offers'. Early on, WC were willing to trade 20+22 for Sydney's pick 13. That was rejected by Geelong. Sydney needed the points for academy players at the time, so they were ok with it. Towards the end, Geelong say they would've accepted Freo's 14+31. Geelong haven't been consistent. Geelong playing this game leads to relationship and reputation damage that is going to be felt in the coming years. Geelong don't come out better in the wash.

If that's what you want to make the issue about, that's up to you. Caitlin's issues with GFC run a bit deeper than that.

1. Geelong would not have accepted 14 + 31. It would have been more than that had it gone through.
2. Geelong tried to help Kelly get home Kelly chose not to because he disliked Freo more than he liked being home.
3. Whatever Caitlin's issues all she does is harm her and her husband's situation by handling them via the papers. Geelong's culture welfare is very well regarded, she should raise her issues with them privately and she will get solutions. On the surface of it her and Kelly's manager are clearly out of their depth.

And I understand that the club threw every type of support at the family- as has been well documented on another thread- flying family from Perth, providing visits every day etc. So not sure why this has not been acknowledged and according to the HS article is denied. Very strange.
It is not going to go away and could well be a distraction for Tim next season. Glad we stuck to our position of no trade for less than a top 10 but not sure whether him staying will be of benefit.
The HS is crap. They should provide a balanced report. Dod they approach Geelong to se how they did support the family? The ANSWER IS NO. Geelong should not provide any feedback at all. THey are a well run club I am sure.

Your club passed on Kelly... again. He is a Geelong player so I'm not sure WTF you are even doing here?

So, it goes something like this, then...

ROSS: Nice to meet you, Tim. Thanks for coming in.

TIM: Thanks for meeting me, boss. Good to have a chat to someone in the system about my prospects of playing in the AFL.

ROSS: Yes, so about that...I don't see how you'll ever make it as an AFL player.

TIM: Riiiight. So what was the point of having me in to talk, in that case?

ROSS: Well, that's just the way I roll. Always worthwhile to waste everyone's time having a redundant meeting to tell someone something I can't possibly know for sure. And to burn any bridges for the future, just in case you do actually amount to something.

TIM: O.....K. So that's that, then?

ROSS: Yes, I think so. Got to keep moving, you know. After all, I've got another one of these at 11 where I'll sit with yet another draft hopeful and try to crush his dreams of ever making it in footy as well. You would think I might have better ways to spend my time, being a head coach in the AFL and all. But I find this passes the time rather well. (maniacal laughing ensues)

TIM: Weeeell, I guess I'll be going then. It's been.......real, I guess. (leaves)

ROSS: (picks up phone) Sharon, can you send in my 11 a.m. now? Only three more of these and then I can break for lunch, right? (grins)
Does he ask Sharron what she's wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back