Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 2! (cont. in Part 3 - link in OP)

What are we going to do??

• 4 picks 21 and under? Back in Hamish!

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Trade up! We’re getting Lukosius / Rankine / Rozee!!!

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the cost, it's a no from me. I suspect Smith will be a flight risk if he turns out to be any good.

For mine, the point about moving up is to access one of the SA guns.

We might pay a premium now, but we won't lose out later having to trade out a go-homer then redraft and start again from scratch.

Moving up to get a Victorian will cost us both a premium now PLUS the usual costs involved in shipping them home and starting from scratch with new draftees.

I'm prepared to pay the premium of moving up only if it saves us opportunity costs down the line by securing a local gun who has dreamed of playing for the AFC his entire life and won't run out on us for some interstate club to cash in on him once we have invested in his development.
Even if trading to 6 ended up being say 8 + 21 for 6 + 29?

Why would GC do that?

Trade their way out of the magic 7 to upgrade a purely speculative pick in the 20s?

Do they feel sorry for us?
Again it goes back to my previous posts but GC are rumored to be looking at taking Jye Caldwell at 6 so a drop then to 8 should still see them get their player

Edit. they then move up from 29 to 21 as well

My understanding is that GC has 5 picks under 30 and 5 spots available on their list so I doubt they’ll be in a position to swap 2 picks for 4 picks this year.

If they did agree to that trade they could do some subsequent trades on their excess 1st round picks this year for some future 1st round picks.

We can trade future picks, and most importantly teams haven’t finalised their delistings yet

If GCS were suddenly to have an extra first round pick, I’m sure there’s someone at the bottom of their list they’d give the flick in an instant

The strongest part of our club is drafting.

We have nailed every first round pick in the last ten or so years.

Daresay Hamish has (or will have) exactly the picks he wants for the players he wants.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well, it's both simpler and more complicated than that.

He's very good, no doubt. He will pick the best available with the picks he has, but I'm sure he's well aware the best 8 or so on his list will be gone by our first pick.

some posters have wondered why the Mitch McGovern trade was down so early.

If it wasn’t done early then Kelly would be an Eagle and Geelong would have pick 13.

Sydney weren’t going to hang around and play waiting games just so Crows could screw Carton.
They would have moved on WC picks and Kelly trade would have taken place. Who knows what Carlton would have tried to offer then. The fact that Crows wanted McAdam rather than retain McGovern made it a race for pick 13.

I love the way the blues suggested 2018 pick 1 may have been on the table for Shiel after he nominated the bombers, but when the dons trade looked like falling down the blues made a late play but weren’t willing to give it up.

If nothing else McAdam should be a fillip to Betts performance, I think he missed not having Charlie as part of the dynamic duo and someone to mentor.

These things are not our problem, with a contracted player

Who gives a * about Carlton and their problems

Except Geelong wanted a top 10 pick and held out because they didn’t get it.
It’s not a simple as saying that’s what would have happened as all evidence points to it not happening as you say.
They'd have taken 13 for him no problems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think we should push for pick 6 pre-draft.

GC in 2019 will have their first (pick 1), Brisbane's first (pick 7-10?) and then Richmond's third (pick 50ish). Only going to give them 2 decent picks next year.

I think they would consider pick 8 plus our 2019 second for 6, particularly if they have their eye on Caldwell.

Then, depending on how the cards fall draft night, we can offer St Kilda 6 and 21 (or 16) for 4 and 28.

True, I never said they had to.

What I said was Crows didn’t delay the trade because they wanted a first round pick 10-15 and McAdam.
Trading early was the means to get 13, and trading with Carlton was the the way to get McAdam.

In essence they moved quickly to get what they wanted, to delay would have put that at risk.

I have previously maintained that McGoverns value would never be fully compensated, as his value is different to both clubs, but once the Crows decided to move on, it was about the value the Crows would accept.

They wanted McAdam more than they wanted to hardline Carlton

This is how I see it too. We took a loss on the Gov deal in order to move quickly to seal a pick in high demand.

Once North’s pick went to Port, Sydney’s was the only one that was going to move. We did well to end up with it. GC were in best position to get it. West Coast too. We did well to get it and it only cost us an extra pick in the 40s that we weren’t going to use anyway.

I still think we should push for pick 6 pre-draft.

GC in 2019 will have their first (pick 1), Brisbane's first (pick 7-10?) and then Richmond's third (pick 50ish). Only going to give them 2 decent picks next year.

I think they would consider pick 8 plus our 2019 second for 6, particularly if they have their eye on Caldwell.

Then, depending on how the cards fall draft night, we can offer St Kilda 6 and 21 (or 16) for 4 and 28.

If Gold Coast want to take Luko, Rozee and Caldwell they can achieve that by trading us 3 for 8 and our 2019 1st. I’d be tempted, but no way would I do it for 6.

Edit: They may not get Rozee actually. I personally think that they are the only club that would take him top 5. Think both Port and Crows would take Luko, Rankine and Smith first.

6 is as useful as bull **** to us
Disagree. Depends if gc pick luko and king at 2 and 3. Saints may pick the other king at 4. Port cant take both rankine and rozee. Either way we win with rankine or rozee as long as gc pick king with one of their picks and the saints take the other king. There is a fair chance gc will take luko and king due to the loss of lynch and may and luko and king are the closest substitutes. All depends on who gc and the saints pick. If we find out who they are taking we then can plan on going after 6 or not. The vic media has been saying that the SA boys will go at 2, 3, 4 as they hate us and don't want the crows getting their hands on any of them. Don't be surprised if 1 of the 3 SA lads is still available at 6. Maybe Rankine as he is the biggest flight risk.

Last edited:
Cant see it myself.

Hes here until he retires.

Unfortunately for Sloane (fortunately for us) teams would of got nervous with his foot injury. It will be interesting to see if he can have an injury free season if any club will have another go.

I am convinced Doedee will leave in the next couple of years. If his form continues a Melbourne club will offer something we won't match. We only need one of the ten Victorian club to have salary cap space they have to use and I think he will return home.

Unfortunately for Sloane (fortunately for us) teams would of got nervous with his foot injury. It will be interesting to see if he can have an injury free season if any club will have another go.

I am convinced Doedee will leave in the next couple of years. If his form continues a Melbourne club will offer something we won't match. We only need one of the ten Victorian club to have salary cap space they have to use and I think he will return home.
We can definitely match any offer for Doedee, it's whether our club wants too. We have the same salary cap as any other club although our club acts like we have 70% at times due to the fact the club can't ever move anyone out unless it's player iniated. We need to sign Doedee on a lucrative 5 year deal if his form warrants it over the next 18 months. Other interstate teams keep young guns, we should not be any different.

Correct contracts mean nothing now in terms of a player staying. All it does is give leverage to the Club to get a better deal. Thats it really, rarely do Clubs want to keep a player against their will.

Geelong are arseholes, but hey they are in the minority. Most would have accepted two 2nds. Its not like the Eagles had picks to give.

Sloane could easily go home at the end of next year. Problem is even if he has a great year, I dont see us getting massive overs for him due to his age.

Correct contracts mean nothing now in terms of a player staying. All it does is give leverage to the Club to get a better deal. Thats it really, rarely do Clubs want to keep a player against their will.

Geelong are arseholes, but hey they are in the minority. Most would have accepted two 2nds. Its not like the Eagles had picks to give.

Sloane could easily go home at the end of next year. Problem is even if he has a great year, I dont see us getting massive overs for him due to his age.
His best value was at the end of 2017. His market value dropped significantly in 2018 once his injury was to his foot.

Disagree. Depends if gc pick luko and king at 2 and 3. Saints may pick the other king at 4. Port cant take both rankine and rozee. Either way we win with rankine or rozee as long as gc pick king with one of their picks and the saints take the other king. There is a fair chance gc will take luko and king due to the loss of lynch and may and luko and king are the closest substitutes. All depends on who gc and the saints pick. If we find out who they are taking we then can plan on going after 6 or not. The vic media has been saying that the SA boys will go at 2, 3, 4 as they hate us and don't want the crows getting their hands on any of them. Don't be surprised if 1 of the 3 SA lads is still available at 6. Maybe Rankine as he is the biggest flight risk.
No way on God's green earth Rankine gets past port at 5.

They just lost their franchise player.

They want to replace him immediately with an excitement machine who will bring fans through the gates.

That's Rankine. You're not just getting the player. You're getting an economic return.

No way on God's green earth Rankine gets past port at 5.

They just lost their franchise player.

They want to replace him immediately with an excitement machine who will bring fans through the gates.

That's Rankine. You're not just getting the player. You're getting an economic return.
Port will pick Rankine obviously if he is the only one avaiilable of the 3 sa lads at pick 5 but i am not so certain if they will pick him if rozee is also available. If both were available and they picked rankine I would still be extremely happy as I think rozee may develop into the best of the 3 SA lads. Reminds me of a young Chris Judd. But if rankine or rozee is available at 6 its a win either way as long as we hold the pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back