Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Stepped in 2015 when MM shown the door. Certainly lifted the spirit of the playing group. I just don’t understand all the negativity.
Please... was so good we lost by 138 to hawthorn.

Plenty of caretakers have stepped in after a coach was sacked and lifted the spirits, doesn't make them good coaches or senior coaches. Just placeholders.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Stepped in 2015 when MM shown the door. Certainly lifted the spirit of the playing group. I just don’t understand all the negativity.
Are you serious mate? Lifted the spirits?

He has the reverse Midas touch.

Coaching panel is full of Brendon Bolton yes men. Is anybody there capable of challenging the status quo? Of providing Bolton with the guidance he needs? Premiership pedigree?

No to all the above

Coaching panel is full of Brendon Bolton yes men. Is anybody there capable of challenging the status quo? Of providing Bolton with the guidance he needs? Premiership pedigree?

No to all the above
You're saying our coaching panel is a bunch of yas queens?

No to all the above

Bolt’s = 2 x flags
Bruce = premierships under his belt, a few mind you in a row in the coaching group

No to all the above

I'd say Teague/Amos/Bruce have decent CVs which can translate into power to speak up without fear or favour. Russell as well. Having said that, we definitely still need a Neil Craig replacement.

I just don’t see the hard edge needed in the coaching panel to get the best out of a young impressionable group of players at a time when they are learning winning habits.

Robert Walls.

No to all the above

Robert Walls.

I'd say Teague/Amos/Bruce have decent CVs which can translate into power to speak up without fear or favour. Russell as well. Having said that, we definitely still need a Neil Craig replacement.

Robert Walls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expertise? Or just an opinion?

I just feel there is a lot of sameness in the personality type on our coaching panel, choir boy types who say the right things probably interview well but if they weren’t leaders or creative as players how can they be expected to lead as coaches.
I can’t think of many things worse than being considered a ‘NICE’ football club.

I just feel there is a lot of sameness in the personality type on our coaching panel, choir boy types who say the right things probably interview well but if they weren’t leaders or creative as players how can they be expected to lead as coaches.
I can’t think of many things worse than being considered a ‘NICE’ football club.

Would you consider West Coast Eagles an unsociable football team?

They seem about as 'NICE' as us, I don't see many enforcers on field or at the coaching level on that premiership team.

I’d imagine the selection process is thorough and catches out the obsequious types. Some of the best coaches have been bog ordinary footballers. Thinking Hafey, Clarkson. I recognise the need for toughness and resilience. I think these traits develop with experience. We’re not nice we’re just not assertive. I expect our mentality to ramp up over the next couple of seasons.

The best players don't necessarily make the best coaches. Plenty of 'ordinary' (not that any AFL player is not talented) players have made excellent coaches. i.e. Adam Simpson, Clarko etc.

On the opposite hand heaps of top line players have been ordinary coaches. i.e Michael Voss, James Hird, etc.

Talent doesn't mean teaching ability. On the other hand those who have had to work hard are often able to teach how to work hard. Which is why i think Sam Mitchell will make a great coach

The best players don't necessarily make the best coaches. Plenty of 'ordinary' (not that any AFL player is not talented) players have made excellent coaches. i.e. Adam Simpson, Clarko etc.

On the opposite hand heaps of top line players have been ordinary coaches. i.e Michael Voss, James Hird, etc.

Talent doesn't mean teaching ability. On the other hand those who have had to work hard are often able to teach how to work hard. Which is why i think Sam Mitchell will make a great coach
Adam Simpson was an elite player. He’s proof that top line players can become successful coaches.

Would you consider West Coast Eagles an unsociable football team?

They seem about as 'NICE' as us, I don't see many enforcers on field or at the coaching level on that premiership team.

I consider the eagles a hard seasoned footy team who have had a bulk of their players together for a long time and have been taught to play the right way, they also haven’t had the creativeness coached out of the young players,
Ryan, sheed, Rioli, cole all played well in the grand final because they played their natural game.
We just seem so structured and over coached especially regarding our younger players and focusing on what they can’t do instead of what they can do.
With coaches who weren’t natural leaders as players and similar in personality type who challenges the status quo?

Ron Barassi was a great great player and was an even better coach.

Same for Lethal Leigh Matthews, all time great player and premiership coach at two teams.

There is no standard model for what makes a great coach. I suspect luck plays a big part especially in regards to the cattle you have available.

I consider the eagles a hard seasoned footy team who have had a bulk of their players together for a long time and have been taught to play the right way, they also haven’t had the creativeness coached out of the young players,
Ryan, sheed, Rioli, cole all played well in the grand final because they played their natural game.
We just seem so structured and over coached especially regarding our younger players and focusing on what they can’t do instead of what they can do.
With coaches who weren’t natural leaders as players and similar in personality type who challenges the status quo?

Bolts had a terrible coaching year this year.

My hope, is that he learns and improves his performance next year.

Note, Simpson at WCE had a number of poor years in 2016/2017; so much so that some were calling for his head.

Same with Bucks and Dimma during their tenure.

We see. The Bolton story is not complete yet.

I don’t believe you have to have been a great player to be a great coach, I do believe you have to be a leader and a competitive animal to be a great coach which Clarkson was, look at Luke Beveridge he was a 4/10 as a player but also as competitive as anyone with the ball in his area.
As for Adam Simpson he was a star player, leader and competitive beast.

Bolts had a terrible coaching year this year.

My hope, is that he learns and improves his performance next year.

Note, Simpson at WCE had a number of poor years in 2016/2017; so much so that some were calling for his head.

Same with Bucks and Dimma during their tenure.

We see. The Bolton story is not complete yet.

IMHO, Bolton will be a new man with Russell beside him both are intense leaders, competitive and good mentors add some of Walls's wisdom & council and it will be a fresh look.
I’m confident Bolton's coaching will produce more wins in 2019 and a brighter outlook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back