Prediction 2019 Fixture Wish List

Remove this Banner Ad

Our fixture is fine. How TF Richmond snagged the fixture they did is ******* diabolical given they were minor premiers this year.

No one is talking about the start. We have two back to back 6 day breaks in the first six rounds. That is tough.
Still better than that period of 3 games in 11 days or whatever it was this year.

For me it isn't who we play as that changes from season to season in terms of tough opponents. It's when we play.

The first 12 games we have 5x6 day breaks and 1x5 day break.

If we can get through that with minimal injuries and a positive win loss record we're looking pretty good for the run home.

Oh yeah, despite playing them away we actually play Freo at home too!

For me it isn't who we play as that changes from season to season in terms of tough opponents. It's when we play.

The 5 day break isn’t ideal before the Sydney game but most teams have to deal with at least one in 2019... so it will eventually ‘even’ out. The Swans are always tricky, especially at home, but I again can’t see them being a formidable force at home in 2019.

With the other mentioned 6 day breaks it is worth noting that at least 4 of them are against teams with the same break time as us. So no real advantage to our opposition.

Two interstate games in a row (Adelaide then Gold Coast) have an 8 day break between them which is ideal considering the two games in a row travelling. I can’t see Gold Coast again being a challenge, home or away... but stranger things have happened.

Home games this time against recent bogey teams Carlton and the Bulldogs will be important. Same venues, yes, but winning % far better in ‘home’ games against these two.

Playing Fremantle in Perth later in the year this time will be a plus for us. The last 3 seasons they have fallen away badly as the season has progressed. Port will also not like our only fixture next year against them being at Docklands. But we would beat them at most grounds at the moment.

Round 3 though. Melbourne. That will all tell us so much about both.

Overall its not a bad fixture. If you rank it in terms of difficulty I would say its considerably easier than our 2018 one. Six day break for ANZAC day feels like a luxury after the 4 day break last year (even if Collingwood do get 7). Plus we aren't going to be screwed going into the next few games afterwards this year. I also think its better in terms of playing some of the teams that could be crappy a bit later in the season - which is an underrated factor. Our spread of interstate matches is quite nice as well.

If we can navigate the tricky opening to the season better than in 2018 then I have confidence we can come home strong. Early tests against GWS and Melbourne will be good early indicators to where we sit in the pecking order, whilst I'd expect to bank wins against St.Kilda and Brisbane at home. GWS as a season opener could be pretty fun actually.

Shame we don't play Carlton twice, but playing them right before the bye is a great time to play em. Wheels will have fallen off by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 5 day break isn’t ideal before the Sydney game but most teams have to deal with at least one in 2019... so it will eventually ‘even’ out. The Swans are always tricky, especially at home, but I again can’t see them being a formidable force at home in 2019.

With the other mentioned 6 day breaks it is worth noting that at least 4 of them are against teams with the same break time as us. So no real advantage to our opposition.

Two interstate games in a row (Adelaide then Gold Coast) have an 8 day break between them which is ideal considering the two games in a row travelling. I can’t see Gold Coast again being a challenge, home or away... but stranger things have happened.

Home games this time against recent bogey teams Carlton and the Bulldogs will be important. Same venues, yes, but winning % far better in ‘home’ games against these two.

Playing Fremantle in Perth later in the year this time will be a plus for us. The last 3 seasons they have fallen away badly as the season has progressed. Port will also not like our only fixture next year against them being at Docklands. But we would beat them at most grounds at the moment.

Round 3 though. Melbourne. That will all tell us so much about both.
I don't care about how long thee break of our opponents are heading into our 6 day breaks.

My point is the first half of the season is a very heavy workload based on the number of short breaks. If we get through it with a good injury run and decent win/loss ratio though, it sets us up well.

If we can get through that with minimal injuries and a positive win loss record we're looking pretty good for the run home.

Oh yeah, despite playing them away we actually play Freo at home too!
Our first 11 games are played over 11 weeks. As with everyone else.

Our workload is not tougher than others cos we have some short breaks. We also have 3 x 8 day breaks in that time and a 10 day break. Forget to mention that bit?

No one ever won/lost a flag cos of their fixture.

Our workload is not tougher than others cos we have some short breaks. We also have 3 x 8 day breaks in that time and a 10 day break. Forget to mention that bit?

I dont believe the point was it will cost us just that the opening start to the season appears a little tougher than the back half of the fixture.
Wont cost us anything if we are good enough. Being switched on from the start of the year will be important.

My concern is muscle fatigue based injuries due to short turnarounds. 3×6 day breaks and 1x5 day break in our first 5 weeks will be tough. Get through that in reasonable shape and things start to open up a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back