Opinion 2018 Non-Crows #4: You say Potato, I say Portato (Cont in Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's been a problem for a while yeah. But lately it just freezes and goes blank. This is on my phone. Haven't tried a pc. I tried the app but I really disliked the layout.
You get used to the BigFooty app layout. The only issue is it doesn't really hide people you've blocked.

You can’t apply laughter when discussing a serious topic. Let’s put it this way, I’m not dumb enough to not get the points people are repeatedly making. Kirky and I are talking from another vantage point.

No more will be said from me about this. It’s become a moot point now.
Its not that the laughter is inappropriate it is that THIS topic isnt for this thread. Its not all about you

Islam misinterpreted by extremists is radical and violent.

As is Christianity.

All religions have "an eye for an eye" and killing nonbelievers somewhere in there. But the actual vast majority of their text is some simple version of do unto others, which probably anyone could ever behind.

My feeling are that there have been a LOT more killings done by radical Christians than radical Muslims in the last few years, but then I'm really just focussing on Western countries. I imagine the numbers look different if you look beyond USA/UK/Australia/Canada etc.
Certainly you would think so in the US.

Mate, no need to start an argument. It’s the start of the week. Let’s breathe and count 1,2,3 together....

I miss footy! :)
I'm not starting an argument?

Missing footy was the point of my original post yet you turned it into a furtherance of your crusade that I had no part of

You don't count Fox News as a white Christian cult?

The vast majority of mass shootings in recent US history involve killers who have been fed paranoid lies and misinformation. I'm not sure how the lies from those pulpits are different to the lies being spread by radical religious leaders.
While some of the most high profile mass shootings fit this definition, the "vast majority" of mass shootings in recent US history have nothing to do with religion.

Mass shootings are defined as any shooting which results in 4 or more deaths. On average there is one mass shooting in the US every day of the year. Mass shootings have become so common in the US that we rarely hear about them, because they're no longer newsworthy unless there is some particular angle which makes them unique (e.g. schools, churches, or the sheer number of fatalities). The overwhelming majority are domestic disputes, which have nothing to do with religion.

The recent tragedy near Margaret River was newsworthy because it was the first mass shooting in Australia since Port Arthur (and Howard's gun buyback scheme). The Margaret River tragedy would not have made the national news, let alone been international headlines, if it occurred in the USA.

If there was a Christian cult that was exhorting its followers to go out and kill random non-Christians by whatever means they can find, you'd have a point.

Accepting that reality isn't "Islamophobia" and it doesn't mean you have to think all / most Muslims are violent extremists.
I dont feel these idiots who follow radical Islam and cause the violence are true muslims at all. They brand themselves with the name "Islam" but in reality are just guys who stand behind that to justify causing voilence and lashing out against a societal system they feel is unjust and not in line with their personal beliefs.

If I was to ever follow a religion (other than Footy) it would probably be Islam as it teaches strength through consequences and abstaining from things that take your mind away from being a better member of the community. It is far from a passive religion.

You cant just go out and kill someone or steal than ask a preist for forgiveness in a confessional...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If we could have just interrogated this random moron we could have unlocked all the secrets of any terrorist organisation in Australia

I bet he could have run a decent pre-season camp.

Cue Jenny rolling in and saying, "well, what did he expect to happen, of course it's his responsibility"

Sorry I missed this earlier but I am quite alright with others having a different opinion on what I think re parental responsibility in these times. I understand my view my be a little confronting but from where I sit it brings a little balance to a situation that I believe is imbalanced ( although I guess everyone thinks their view is balanced and the others is just "crazy talk")

Agree. When a lone wolf is involved why aren’t they taught to incapacitate - you learn nothing by killing him. He had a knife, no gun.
Guns are a lethal weapon and must always be treated as a lethal weapon, there is no 'shoot in incapacitate' because you cannot possibly guarantee that. Like treating every gun as loaded, treat every bullet you fire at someone as lethal. This is assuming you can even reliably hit a limb on a moving target in a high-pressure situation and you don't just send rogue bullets flying off into the general public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guns are a lethal weapon and must always be treated as a lethal weapon, there is no 'shoot in incapacitate' because you cannot possibly guarantee that. Like treating every gun as loaded, treat every bullet you fire at someone as lethal. This is assuming you can even reliably hit a limb on a moving target in a high-pressure situation and you don't just send rogue bullets flying off into the general public.
Or hit them in the femoral artery and they die of blood loss in five minutes.

Agree. When a lone wolf is involved why aren’t they taught to incapacitate - you learn nothing by killing him. He had a knife, no gun.
Always aim for the biggest seeing mass, it takes a lot and more importantly regular training to hit a small target on the move. and there would not be a lot of Cops training at those levels. even the miltary teaches biggest seeing mass, it only a small group that train differently. And they use a different approach.
It not Target shooting.

If the guy was indeed part of a terrorist branch, he’s still likely to have some mental condition from the footage shown on the news. He was wielding a knife against police officers, kind of a pointless act (knife vs gun).

Terrorists acts often involve sophisticated planning and purposeful actions throughout the ordeal. Past terrorist acts often involve mass bombings or shootings. The knife weapon is a big clue there weren’t much planning going on.

I kind of wish the man was shot in the leg or somewhere where he’d likely still survive. His interrogation would be crucial in knowing the motives and whether others are involved.

No not all actions are pre-planned appart from the location and timing. Not all involve Firearms.
And a Knife is one of the most effective ways of putting fear into people. There are several groups around the world who use the bladed weapon as the main source of striking fear into a person.

Absoultely gobsmacked by this.
Why ?
That undesirables are free to wreak havoc with no consequences ?
Make them aware - if they **** up their family suffers - as will the families of all the real victims of terrorism do every day ...... maybe they’ll think twice

I’m gobsmacked that you’re gobsmacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back