Intricacies of Father-Son rule. Help me ponder.

Remove this Banner Ad

woopedazz

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been thinking about this rule. I'm hoping some of the rule gurus can clarify what fine print is currently in existence.
  1. What defines a Father-Son relationship in the eyes of the AFL? Marriage vs Biological?
  2. If Biological:
    • If a player sires a child out of wedlock, then are there exceptions to the rule?
      • What if the guy is a hound dog and sires 50+ children on various nights out; all of whom he has 0 contact with?
      • What if he is unaware he has any children, but come draft time someone claims lineage?
        • If he has never had contact, and never legally been named as the father previously... is he still the father in the eyes of the AFL?
      • What if he fathers children completely anonymously through a sperm bank?
        • What if he tried to suppress his identity with the sperm bank and never wanted the mother/child to find out. What if he is illegally identified as the father. Does he still get counted as the father in the eyes of the AFL? If he is the biological father, but does not need to pay child support, then...
    • If the draftee claims nil affiliation with the ex-player who claims to have sired him, then what happens?
    • If a draftee claims bloodline, and the father denies it, what happens?
      • Is DNA testing used in either of the above scenarios?
      • If DNA testing is used by the AFL:
        • If either party refuses to be tested; do we rule in favour of potential father-son relationship or against?
          • Does it matter which party refuses?
          • Does it matter if its a random claim of lineage by an unstable mother/son combo?
          • What if the father is 99% likely the biological father; let's say he was married to the mother at the time of the child's birth and they were living in a cave far from civilisation at the time of conception. Let's say the son is an identical replica of the dad. What happens if the father denies biological lineage and claims the son is not his - clearly out of spite from the opinion of all onlookers and the AFL.
            • Who is believed?
            • What if the father refuses DNA testing and denies fatherhood of a child who is obviously his?
    • What happens if the act of conception was illegal?
      • Rape of all forms: Does the paternity get ignored?
        • What if the mother and child and father all agree it happened and he's done his dues, does the son get Father-Son priority?
        • What if the mother has hid the event from her son his entire life and the day prior to his draft a random prisoner comes forward and says "I hated your mum more than anything in the entire world. I raped your mum exactly 9 months before your birthday. I want her to experience more pain than imaginable. I want her son to move interstate to another club; oh and I also played for West Coast back in the 90s... I'm claiming paternity. Do we listen to him?
          • What if there's a nutcase in jail who claims the same, but the mother knows for certain he is lying because she has never been raped and knows the true father. Do we just agree to ignore him? How do we differentiate this from the above (true sire) example?
            • What if she goes and gets DNA tested to prevent the slandering of her poor kid; and low-and-behold she actually was date-raped by this guy and he was the father and she never realised/entertained the thought. Does this DNA test suddenly not become valid, because we think the result is abhorent?
  3. If marriage: (to make discussion easier "husband" = the football player who is married to the mother of the child. "father" = the biological father.
    • What if a wife gets knocked up in an extra-marital affair?
      • The "husband" is married to her at the time of the birth and actively raises the kid until draft day. Is the kid a Father-Son rule?
      • What if nobody knows about it?
      • What if everyone knows about it, but come draft day the whole family puts forward a statement saying the husband is the father and refuse DNA testing.
    • What if a wife is raped and she births the child of the rapist.
      • Does the husband who raises said child not get allowed Father-Son priority?
        • If not, then are the AFL stating that the rapist is the father in the eyes of the Father-Son rule? Does this muddy the waters fo the above questions re: biological parenthood?
      • Does opportunity cost suddenly become a factor?
    • What if a child is adopted?
    • What if the "husband" marries into the family post-birth of the future AFL player?
      • At what point is he the father/not the father? Does the AFL follow legal status or do they have their own rules?
  4. Random s**t:
    • What if the father becomes a xerself and identifies as a CatPerson; forsaking all legal claims of personhood. I.e. Catman.
      • Does the AFL have an existing policy re: Xerself-CatPerson - Son rule?
        • Should this be a top priority given the level of triggering that could occur if a Xerself-CatPerson is tied to the sirehood of a human AFL draftee? What about a DogPerson? What if this mentally stable individual does/does not want to be recognised as a previous human father? Whos wishes are followed?
    • What happens if AFL women's star identifies as a transgender male.
      • What happens if she birthed 8 future brownlow medalists before realising her identity.
      • Are they identified as Father-Son rule or Mother-Son?
    • What happens if an AFL draftee is actually a clone of a prior AFL player, i.e. the great Zac Dawson gets cloned.
      • Do they have a biological father?
      • Are they their own father?
    • What happens if a father and mother both played AFL, but for different clubs. Both qualifying for Father/Mother-Son priority.
If anyone can add clarity to these important questions I'd appreciate it.

I've been thinking about this rule. I'm hoping some of the rule gurus can clarify what fine print is currently in existence.
  1. What defines a Father-Son relationship in the eyes of the AFL? Marriage vs Biological?
  2. If Biological:
    • If a player sires a child out of wedlock, then are there exceptions to the rule?
      • What if the guy is a hound dog and sires 50+ children on various nights out; all of whom he has 0 contact with?
      • What if he is unaware he has any children, but come draft time someone claims lineage?
        • If he has never had contact, and never legally been named as the father previously... is he still the father in the eyes of the AFL?
        • What if he tried to suppress his identity with the sperm bank and never wanted the mother/child to find out. What if he is illegally identified as the father. Does he still get counted as the father in the eyes of the AFL? If he is the biological father, but does not need to pay child support, then...
    • If the draftee claims nil affiliation with the ex-player who claims to have sired him, then what happens?
        • If either party refuses to be tested; do we rule in favour of potential father-son relationship or against?
          • Does it matter if its a random claim of lineage by an unstable mother/son combo?
          • What if the father is 99% likely the biological father; let's say he was married to the mother at the time of the child's birth and they were living in a cave far from civilisation at the time of conception. Let's say the son is an identical replica of the dad. What happens if the father denies biological lineage and claims the son is not his - clearly out of spite from the opinion of all onlookers and the AFL.
            • Who is believed?
            • What if the father refuses DNA testing and denies fatherhood of a child who is obviously his?
        • What if the mother and child and father all agree it happened and he's done his dues, does the son get Father-Son priority?
        • What if the mother has hid the event from her son his entire life and the day prior to his draft a random prisoner comes forward and says "I hated your mum more than anything in the entire world. I raped your mum exactly 9 months before your birthday. I want her to experience more pain than imaginable. I want her son to move interstate to another club; oh and I also played for West Coast back in the 90s... I'm claiming paternity. Do we listen to him?
          • What if there's a nutcase in jail who claims the same, but the mother knows for certain he is lying because she has never been raped and knows the true father. Do we just agree to ignore him? How do we differentiate this from the above (true sire) example?
            • What if she goes and gets DNA tested to prevent the slandering of her poor kid; and low-and-behold she actually was date-raped by this guy and he was the father and she never realised/entertained the thought. Does this DNA test suddenly not become valid, because we think the result is abhorent?
  3. If marriage: (to make discussion easier "husband" = the football player who is married to the mother of the child. "father" = the biological father.
      • The "husband" is married to her at the time of the birth and actively raises the kid until draft day. Is the kid a Father-Son rule?
      • What if everyone knows about it, but come draft day the whole family puts forward a statement saying the husband is the father and refuse DNA testing.
        • If not, then are the AFL stating that the rapist is the father in the eyes of the Father-Son rule? Does this muddy the waters fo the above questions re: biological parenthood?
    • What if the "husband" marries into the family post-birth of the future AFL player?
      • At what point is he the father/not the father? Does the AFL follow legal status or do they have their own rules?
  4. Random s**t:
    • What if the father becomes a xerself and identifies as a CatPerson; forsaking all legal claims of personhood. I.e. Catman.
        • Should this be a top priority given the level of triggering that could occur if a Xerself-CatPerson is tied to the sirehood of a human AFL draftee? What about a DogPerson? What if this mentally stable individual does/does not want to be recognised as a previous human father? Whos wishes are followed?
      • What happens if she birthed 8 future brownlow medalists before realising her identity.
    • What happens if an AFL draftee is actually a clone of a prior AFL player, i.e. the great Zac Dawson gets cloned.
    • What happens if a father and mother both played AFL, but for different clubs. Both qualifying for Father/Mother-Son priority.
I fear the answer to your ponderings wont be found on BF.

giphy.gif

2. If Biological:
            • Who is believed?
  4. Random s**t:
From a quick wikipedia read, the draftee has the right to decline father-son eligibility and be taken by any club. So if the son doesn't want to be associated with his biological father for whatever reason, he can avoid F-S. Plus I'm 99% sure its biological. I think that covers a lot of it.

John Platten apparently traded off his luscious locks and Brownlow and has a biological son that he didn’t raise.

Was eligible for F/S with Hawthorn. As will countless children born 9 months after Buddy slotted his 100 in ‘08.

The 2008 kids will be turning 11 soon, so the Swans will only need to be without a Franklin for 4 or 5 years before we get his offspring :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. If marriage: (to make discussion easier "husband" = the football player who is married to the mother of the child. "father" = the biological father.

• no-answer.gif

From what I remember (a) it’s biological, (b) the draftee can renounce it if they wish (I think Marc Murphy did this) and (c) non biological children are judged on a case by case basis.

For example, if a player adopted a baby and raised him as his own for 18 years, I’m sure they’d be made eligible for father-son

I fear the answer to your ponderings wont be found on BF.

Actually is likely to get 20 answers, just none of them correct.

Although if the thread goes for more than 5 pages it will then veer wildly off topic and become a fight between Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong supporters about something inconsequential or other.

Is the intent of father-son to keep the genetic freaks in the game or is it primarily a feel-good story?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back