The Heat....

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's cool temperature here in Melbourne is like heaven.

On the other side of the world, Chicago:

18emmh.jpg

That's -46C wind chill. :eek:

By the weekend it's supposed to get up to about 12C.:drunk:
Coldest wind chill I felt in NY was -28. It was ****ed...this was in the sun too.

Chicago must be a mess

Coldest wind chill I felt in NY was -28. It was ******...this was in the sun too.

Chicago must be a mess
And remember that there is normally snow before the deep cold sets in and often after.

It's currently 4 with a top of 10 on Monday with rain expected. Talk about a mess...

Are you one of those 90 year old ladies who die in bed because they cant afford cooling?

Sheesh a ******* water spray bottle

LOL I actually can die in the heat because of my illness. I'm not supposed to be outside for long when the temp is above 25 and being in the sun is not advised. I have my a/c on already today at 11am.

I remember one day in Munich we got snowed in with our camper van down a side street that didnt get ploughed.
During the day the condensation in the van rained on our doona and then froze.
We went to go to bed and realised, luckily there was a late night Laundromat down the road.
Shoved it in the drier and went to bed.
I think we were stuck for about a week freezing our arses off

It gets hot where I am but no real need for AC. Fan , window open and spray if I need it. Works for me shakes .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Same here, no AC, no Heater just ceiling fans and sea breezes.
Theres about 2 weeks a year were you wish you had an aircon or heater.
And its not usually in a 2 week block a day here or there so its doable

The heat... is hot today :blacksunrays: Hanging out for the cool change :cloud:

Coldest wind chill I felt in NY was -28. It was ******...this was in the sun too.

Chicago must be a mess

Coldest for me was -25 C in upstate New York. That was without windchill. Tbh, it was just felt extremely cold, my brain couldn't really comprehend -25!

And remember that there is normally snow before the deep cold sets in and often after.

It's currently 4 with a top of 10 on Monday with rain expected. Talk about a mess...

LOL I actually can die in the heat because of my illness. I'm not supposed to be outside for long when the temp is above 25 and being in the sun is not advised. I have my a/c on already today at 11am.

My yia yia went that way- was a stretch of 40+ heat for over 5 days, she left us day 4 IIRC. My dad, aunty, everyone tried to tell her to use cooling, she wouldnt listen. At least it was nice that she died in her bed tho and not some nursing home.

My yia yia went that way- was a stretch of 40+ heat for over 5 days, she left us day 4 IIRC. My dad, aunty, everyone tried to tell her to use cooling, she wouldnt listen. At least it was nice that she died in her bed tho and not some nursing home.
That's why I got worried the day we had the brownout. I didn't know how long it was going to last and I got very anxious which didn't help. The last time the electricity went out here was after a storm and it was cool out so no indoor heat for a few hours. Just inconvenient. Now that my illness causes problems with my body temperature regulation because of heat, I'm very cautious. I can't even go out to put my washing on the line on a day like today. Imagine being found dead underneath the Hills Hoist. Not very dignified. :$

That's why I got worried the day we had the brownout. I didn't know how long it was going to last and I got very anxious which didn't help. The last time the electricity went out here was after a storm and it was cool out so no indoor heat for a few hours. Just inconvenient. Now that my illness causes problems with my body temperature regulation because of heat, I'm very cautious. I can't even go out to put my washing on the line on a day like today. Imagine being found dead underneath the Hills Hoist. Not very dignified. :$

Yeah that would have been scary- not knowing if/when the power could go out. Like big deal, I get hot and uncomfortable for a while- others, like you, really need it.

Have you considered installing a generator for times like that?
My power is out, AGAIN, and I just have to turn off the fridges/freezers etc, (big power users), flick a switch on the switchboard, turn on the generator, and turn everything back on again.
Size of generator would depend on the size of your A/C though.

My power is out, AGAIN, and I just have to turn off the fridges/freezers etc, (big power users), flick a switch on the switchboard, turn on the generator, and turn everything back on again.
I'm living in the granny grandpa flat in the back of a friend's home. I have a reversible heat/cooling device in my living room. My friend was away for the day so I called her daughter who was going to come to pick me up if the electricity was out too long. I put a water soaked facecloth on the back of my neck and just sat on my couch. I had not really heard of rolling brownouts here before, so wasn't sure how long they lasted. That's why I felt panicked. I just wasn't prepared for it since I had heard on radio in the morning that the minister in charge said there would not be any problem. If it happens again I'll just take an Uber somewhere where the electricity is still on, if my friend's not around. Having the electricity go out because of a storm or unforeseen accident is totally understandable to me. Having to shut off an electricity supply to customers because of mismanagement or lack of proper planning of supply/demand is not acceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What sort of generator do you need to be able to do that?

I've got a high end portable one but it just has a couple of output sockets.

What sort of generator do you need to be able to do that?

I've got a high end portable one but it just has a couple of output sockets.
It's got nothing to do with the sockets, it is the kva capability and whether it is sine wave for computers etc.
I have a 5 kva Honda and as long as we don't use electric jugs etc., it will run the entire house comfortably and reasonably quietly.
I have also had a sparky change my powerboard to accommodate this which was only a few hundred bucks.

Going to be 40+ today, so the 12mm of rain we had during the week will be gone.
60% chance of a thunderstorm this evening though. Bring it on Hughie!

Last edited:
Couldn't move down the beach last week.
Yesterday I pretty much had it to myself. :D
#MelbourneSummer

There are no Melbourne beaches. (Don't say StKilda).

21 apparently but still feels hot.

The place that has sand and water and the odd bikini then. Well it looks a bit like water anyway. Sorta. Maybe.
#BeachClosedDueToWaterQuality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back