To those who don't like their job and hate their boss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I hear all the time, people complaining about their job, how much they are paid, and how they hate their boss.

Well, if you think you have it bad, I would suggest that you try something.

Start your own business.

I have worked in small business for most of my working life, in the family newsagency. People who think bosses have it their own way need to become their own boss, and they will soon realize how hard it is.

My parents ran the newsagency, and the amount of work they had to do, and how many parties they are answerable to, is unbelievable.

We had to answer to the magazine companies, the newspaper companies, Tattslotto, and other stockists, as well as subagents and customers. Each wants you to cater to them, and the pressure plies on.

In small business, you don't get much time off, and few holidays, and to organize one involves so many factors to consider, you will feel like a holiday after organising it.

As the boss, everything is riding on you to make it work. You can lose your house if it doesn't.

Many also complain about wages, and what they are entitled to.

Try being the one who pays the wages, when you have to include all the extra entitlements (e.g. super, extra time). After that, you may not be so quick to say that bosses are greedy and stopping you from paying you what YOU think you are entitled to.

I don't know, it annoys me when Leftists and others lump all businesses together, like running a business is a charmed life, and all bosses have total autonomy.

Now, some may say, to then not run a business. But the alternative is to work for someone else.

I think most people who think that bosses are bad and the worker is always the one who has it hard has never run or have had loved ones who have run a small business.

Sure, big major companies, some of these shady things might be happening, but please don't include "mom and pop" stores in your rants, because of a lot of those people work hard to keep things running, making personal sacrifices to stay in business.

The biggest cost can be your health as well. We hear a lot about workplace safety, and it is vitally important, but running a business can be detrimental to your health, like it did to my late father, whose career as a boss was ended by a massive heart attack, which took him a week later in hospital after being in an induced coma. People who run small businesses work bloody hard, and not all of them are living the high life and making millions. So please consider these things, before bagging bosses and businesses. Most businesses are small businesses and deserve more support.

Small business needs support for sure.

That whole dont whinge xxx has it worse thing this crap though.

People don't have to work for themselves for their job to impact their life or health or finances

s**t managers are s**t managers whether they own the business or work for it.

People management is a skill and caring about the peole that work for you isnt something everyone does in either small or big business

I just lost a management job that I have been performing in relief for 15 months.

My life is going to become so much less flexible now.

Sent from mTalk

I hear all the time, people complaining about their job, how much they are paid, and how they hate their boss.

Start your own business.

I have worked in small business for most of my working life, in the family newsagency. People who think bosses have it their own way need to become their own boss, and they will soon realize how hard it is.

My parents ran the newsagency, and the amount of work they had to do, and how many parties they are answerable to, is unbelievable.

We had to answer to the magazine companies, the newspaper companies, Tattslotto, and other stockists, as well as subagents and customers. Each wants you to cater to them, and the pressure plies on.

In small business, you don't get much time off, and few holidays, and to organize one involves so many factors to consider, you will feel like a holiday after organising it.

As the boss, everything is riding on you to make it work. You can lose your house if it doesn't.

Try being the one who pays the wages, when you have to include all the extra entitlements (e.g. super, extra time). After that, you may not be so quick to say that bosses are greedy and stopping you from paying you what YOU think you are entitled to.

I don't know, it annoys me when Leftists and others lump all businesses together, like running a business is a charmed life, and all bosses have total autonomy.

Now, some may say, to then not run a business. But the alternative is to work for someone else.

I think most people who think that bosses are bad and the worker is always the one who has it hard has never run or have had loved ones who have run a small business.

Sure, big major companies, some of these shady things might be happening, but please don't include "mom and pop" stores in your rants, because of a lot of those people work hard to keep things running, making personal sacrifices to stay in business.

The biggest cost can be your health as well. We hear a lot about workplace safety, and it is vitally important, but running a business can be detrimental to your health, like it did to my late father, whose career as a boss was ended by a massive heart attack, which took him a week later in hospital after being in an induced coma. People who run small businesses work bloody hard, and not all of them are living the high life and making millions. So please consider these things, before bagging bosses and businesses. Most businesses are small businesses and deserve more support.

I like my job and get on with most of my bosses .

• Banned

People don't have to work for themselves for their job to impact their life or health or finances

People management is a skill and caring about the peole that work for you isnt something everyone does in either small or big business

Just like s**t employees are s**t no matter what business they work in.

There are great bosses, and terrible bosses, and many inbetween.

There are great workers, and terrible workers, and many inbetween.

Don't pretend that one group is always worse than another.

Just like s**t employees are s**t no matter what business they work in.

There are great bosses, and terrible bosses, and many inbetween.

There are great workers, and terrible workers, and many inbetween.

Don't pretend that one group is always worse than another.
Where did I pretend bosses are always worse than employees?

• Banned

Why don't you start your own business in your chosen field then? Why not work for yourself?

Filling in BAS statements is enough to make you think "I would rather work for a boss, and these day-to-day hassles can be his problem".

Why don't you start your own business in your chosen field then? Why not work for yourself?

Filling in BAS statements is enough to make you think "I would rather work for a boss, and these day-to-day hassles can be his problem".
What has that got to do with my post.
I didnt say running your own business wasnt hard

I said it being hard doesnt invalidate working for someone else being hard which was what your post Was saying

You mentioned s**t managers, but not s**t employees. So it is implied by omission.
No I was replying to your post which suggested owning your own business meant you had an excuse for being a s**t boss

Of course s**t employees exist, my point was s**t people are s**t people whether they work for themselves or someone else

What has that got to do with my post.
I didnt say running your own business wasnt hard

I said it being hard doesnt invalidate working for someone else being hard which was what your post Was saying

No I was replying to your post which suggested owning your own business meant you had an excuse for being a s**t boss

Of course s**t employees exist, my point was s**t people are s**t people whether they work for themselves or someone else

I didn't say that owning a business was an excuse for being a s**t boss.

I am saying that bosses don't get the charmed lives you think they do, where many act like bosses got where they were by falling ass backwards into money, and therefore don't know what hard work is.

Many bosses work just as hard as the workers, and often have extra responsibilities that the workers don't have to worry about (e.g. BAS statements, dealing with suppliers etc).

But unionists make it sound like all bosses are out to rip off the worker, and sit back in their big chair and whips his employees into shape, when the reality is much different, especially when you are running a small business in a big marketplace, rather than some massive corporate company which probably doesn't pay tax.

I get offended that you speak like my father was a s**t boss when you didn't even know him. FYI, he had heaps of customers and employees, past and present attend his funeral.

I didn't say that owning a business was an excuse for being a s**t boss.

I am saying that bosses don't get the charmed lives you think they do, where many act like bosses got where they were by falling ass backwards into money, and therefore don't know what hard work is.

Many bosses work just as hard as the workers, and often have extra responsibilities that the workers don't have to worry about (e.g. BAS statements, dealing with suppliers etc).

But unionists make it sound like all bosses are out to rip off the worker, and sit back in their big chair and whips his employees into shape, when the reality is much different, especially when you are running a small business in a big marketplace, rather than some massive corporate company which probably doesn't pay tax.

I get offended that you speak like my father was a s**t boss when you didn't even know him. FYI, he had heaps of customers and employees, past and present attend his funeral.
I have literally said nothing about you or your father.

I've seen behind the iron curtain of lower/middle management in large international companies and believe me I understand that they are just people doing a job

I've taken calls when i was on leave from people that reported to me that were having personal or professional issues.

Good bosses don't get to switch off anywhere near as much as most employees

But that has nothing to do with your original post or my response.

And sure unions can be as corrupt as any other organisation but i do find their demonization interesting. Who benefits from workers not having organised representation?

Big business mostly, like they need another leg up

To really get to the gist of the original post, I have come to the conclusion that part time hours is the future, as in, people will strive for more lifestyle balance in the future as it’s better for your health. Whether your an employee or a manager. Now, yes this might hinder housing affordability, however health is just as important. Now a really clever employee or manager will be so solutions driven that they see part of their job as fine tuning to be as efficient as possible on a daily basis. So just say you add 1 new improvement to make a task easier, everyday, it’s incredible what that can lead to. So also employees or bosses who are solutions driven are gold.

There are plenty of reactive and negative managers around. It doesn’t have to be that way. There are plenty of people who are more than happy to live in misery and gossip, so be it, you don’t have to be like that.

Again, improve 1 thing each day. You might surprise yourself. That’s 5 things a week, and you could do 5 improvements in 1 day, and it’s about stepping back and seeing, what isn’t working well, and what could improve it. Simple stuff.

However, again, in my experience, most people would rather complain and live in that misery realm then see things that way, and hence, office politics and the down sides often gets in the way of productivity, which is a shame.

But yes, I totally think part time is the way to go and the way of the future. Even though I’m full time. When I was part time I felt healthy and good, full time and I’m always burnt out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To really get to the gist of the original post, I have come to the conclusion that part time hours is the future, as in, people will strive for more lifestyle balance in the future as it’s better for your health. Whether your an employee or a manager. Now a really clever employee or manager will be so solutions driven that they see part of their job as fine tuning to be as efficient as possible on a daily basis. So just say you add 1 new improvement to make a task easier, everyday, it’s incredible what that can lead to. So also employees or bosses who are solutions driven are gold.

There are plenty of reactive and negative managers around. It doesn’t have to be that way. There are plenty of people who are more than happy to live in misery and gossip, so be it, you don’t have to be like that.

Again, improve 1 thing each day. You might surprise yourself.

The problem is customer demand.

In the newsagency industry, you need to start early in the morning with delivering newspapers, so that people have the paper when they wake up. Then serving customers all day, and people come in wanting to buy Tattslotto until 7 at night.

Also, because of seven day trading, customers expect you to be open when THEY want you open. We live in a less patient society, and you not being there to meet their needs means that they will go to your competitor instead.

People will have more lifestyle and free time in the future, as more and more industries go online, and it means more workers will be unemployed, as the job market shrinks from brick and mortar businesses to online businesses. Then you will have all the free time in the world, but no money in which to enjoy it.

The problem is customer demand.

In the newsagency industry, you need to start early in the morning with delivering newspapers, so that people have the paper when they wake up. Then serving customers all day, and people come in wanting to buy Tattslotto until 7 at night.

Also, because of seven day trading, customers expect you to be open when THEY want you open. We live in a less patient society, and you not being there to meet their needs means that they will go to your competitor instead.

People will have more lifestyle and free time in the future, as more and more industries go online, and it means more workers will be unemployed, as the job market shrinks from brick and mortar businesses to online businesses. Then you will have all the free time in the world, but no money in which to enjoy it.

Definitely customer demand is a hurdle, no doubt. But part of what I’m saying is, firstly you do an improvement audit of everything, so that is, what could you buy or do to make everything as easy and efficient as you can. Now this is often something that takes a bit of time and some personal investment as well. The next is sharing duties with more leadership. So just say you go part time, you hire someone and train them to operate the place.

But again, considering you have a long term business that’s taking up so much of your life, it’s vital to invest into it so much solutions based analysis to make things as efficient as possible because it’s a huge chunk of your time.

I remember being miserable every week, I just started looking at what tools, stationary, easier ways, preparation I could do to make the day easier. This takes time. Eventually you get to the point where, everything is very efficient and it helps with stress.

We’ll likely have the basic income in the future. New jobs will replace bricks and morta. Warren buffet said it himself, new jobs will replace superseded ones.

I have literally said nothing about you or your father.

I've seen behind the iron curtain of lower/middle management in large international companies and believe me I understand that they are just people doing a job

I've taken calls when i was on leave from people that reported to me that were having personal or professional issues.

Good bosses don't get to switch off anywhere near as much as most employees

But that has nothing to do with your original post or my response.

And sure unions can be as corrupt as any other organisation but i do find their demonization interesting. Who benefits from workers not having organised representation?

Big business mostly, like they need another leg up

But you are talking about BIG business. I am talking about small businesses.

Small businesses aren't often run by rich people, but just normal people who go in, thinking that they can be their own boss, only to realize that you are always answerable to others. True autonomy doesn't work in the business world.

I am saying that those critical of business and bosses, lump all of them together, when there are more businesses than big corporates.

You are talking about large international companies, which would rarely be classified as small businesses.

But, even so, they all had to start somewhere. Someone had to have an idea, see a need, put up their money, take a risk, and put everything they have on the ultimate gamble- that they will have a business that thrives and succeeds.

Many businesses fail in their first five years.

As for unions, they benefit greatly from unionizing. The problem is that they can't draw the line in what is fair and reasonable to ask for, and what is not. Having it that there are unfair dismissial laws which almost prevent an employee being sacked FOR ANY REASON (and it is used that way by some lawyers in court).

We have had employees who don't show up, and then the boss has to make alternative arrangments, which may mean putting more work on the remaining workers. I work at a place now where some of the employees are disrespectful to the boss, to his face, but he is loathe to sack them, because of unfair dismissal, and how weighed it is towards the employee.

Also, the employee can quit if he doesn't like where he works. The boss can't just quit, because all the workers and customers are relying on him. Others are effected by his decisions, a luxury many workers don't have to worry about.

Like I said, there are bad apples in both baskets, so workers need to stop moaning about how they are victims and getting picked on their boss. Even in big companies, you are most likely been answering some manager, and not the owner, who may be horrified how someone representing him in the workplace is acting.

But you are talking about BIG business. I am talking about small businesses.

Small businesses aren't often run by rich people, but just normal people who go in, thinking that they can be their own boss, only to realize that you are always answerable to others. True autonomy doesn't work in the business world.

I am saying that those critical of business and bosses, lump all of them together, when there are more businesses than big corporates.

You are talking about large international companies, which would rarely be classified as small businesses.

But, even so, they all had to start somewhere. Someone had to have an idea, see a need, put up their money, take a risk, and put everything they have on the ultimate gamble- that they will have a business that thrives and succeeds.

Many businesses fail in their first five years.

As for unions, they benefit greatly from unionizing. The problem is that they can't draw the line in what is fair and reasonable to ask for, and what is not. Having it that there are unfair dismissial laws which almost prevent an employee being sacked FOR ANY REASON (and it is used that way by some lawyers in court).

We have had employees who don't show up, and then the boss has to make alternative arrangments, which may mean putting more work on the remaining workers. I work at a place now where some of the employees are disrespectful to the boss, to his face, but he is loathe to sack them, because of unfair dismissal, and how weighed it is towards the employee.

Also, the employee can quit if he doesn't like where he works. The boss can't just quit, because all the workers and customers are relying on him. Others are effected by his decisions, a luxury many workers don't have to worry about.

Like I said, there are bad apples in both baskets, so workers need to stop moaning about how they are victims and getting picked on their boss. Even in big companies, you are most likely been answering some manager, and not the owner, who may be horrified how someone representing him in the workplace is acting.
Yeah sorry employees dont need to just stop moaning

They don't need to stop complaining about being victims

Suck it up I'm trying to run a business isnt a valid excuse for being a campaigner but plenty of people act like it is

There was an article the other day saying peole should stop complaining about being underpaid and be happy they have a job

* that, if you aren't getting paid properly you are being exploited. Nobody should just put up with that

Big business or small.

Definitely customer demand is a hurdle, no doubt. But part of what I’m saying is, firstly you do an improvement audit of everything, so that is, what could you buy or do to make everything as easy and efficient as you can. Now this is often something that takes a bit of time and some personal investment as well. The next is sharing duties with more leadership. So just say you go part time, you hire someone and train them to operate the place.

But again, considering you have a long term business that’s taking up so much of your life, it’s vital to invest into it so much solutions based analysis to make things as efficient as possible because it’s a huge chunk of your time.

I remember being miserable every week, I just started looking at what tools, stationary, easier ways, preparation I could do to make the day easier. This takes time. Eventually you get to the point where, everything is very efficient and it helps with stress.

We’ll likely have the basic income in the future. New jobs will replace bricks and morta. Warren buffet said it himself, new jobs will replace superseded ones.

You have never worked in the newsagency industry then.

It is a bit hard to do an improvement audit on what you need or want, when the quality of papers, magazines etc are determined by the company sending it, and you are told to sell them. Sure, we can return what we don't sell, but we aren't given the luxury of just ordering the qualities we want.

Also, we can't set prices, but must sell at the price the distributors tell us to, which hinders things a bit.

We did hire someone to manage the place, to give my parents a chop-out, my brother, who was very good at it. Problem was, he got cancer, and eventually died, a year before my dad did (we have had a bad run, both professionally and personally). So it was too hard to find another manager, and train them, when you are down a staff member.

There is less flexibility in newsagents than even most other small businesses. I think the only business which would be harder to run than a newsagency is a restaurant (who also have to get licenses to serve liquor and food, deal with health regulations etc).

Also, I was out of work for a year, after we sold our newsagency, and I can tell you, the job market is shrinking, not growing. New jobs aren't being created, when computers and the internet make it that jobs can now be done with less people. It will be the new industrial revolution.

Yeah sorry employees dont need to just stop moaning

They don't need to stop complaining about being victims

Suck it up I'm trying to run a business isnt a valid excuse for being a campaigner but plenty of people act like it is

There was an article the other day saying peole should stop complaining about being underpaid and be happy they have a job

**** that, if you aren't getting paid properly you are being exploited. Nobody should just put up with that

Big business or small.

I was out of work for a year, and am happy to finally have work.

Are you telling me that every employee's every complaint is valid? So, in your world, there are no lazy employees, none who don't show up to work, who never have a bad attitude, and no employees who ever steal, insult customers or get in fights at work (because, where I have worked, each and every one of these has occurred by people I work with).

You have never run a business, or you would be more understanding.

Also, what is getting paid properly? You should be paid what has been agreed to, and what you have worked for, but there are workers who think that they should be paid more when they aren't prepared to meet that with productivity.

You should be paid what you signed on to. If you want more, take on more responsibility, and do more, and GOOD bosses (which you act like don't exist) will reward you. I believe, in most cases, good workers get rewarded by good bosses.

Also, if you are not happy where you are-LEAVE! I think people are whingers if they complain, and yet do nothing to change their circumstances.

If you are not happy at your job, leave, and either start your own business, or look for work. A year of being unemployed will make you see that any job is better than none at all, and running your own business will teach you that employees aren't the only people who work hard and long. I have been on all three sides of the spectrum (run a part of the business, been an employee, and been out of work, as well as setbacks most businesses and workers have never had to deal with, so I know what I am talking about. Maybe when you actually go through one of these, you might be in a better position to talk, rather than basing your opinions on your own bad boss, how the media portray bosses, the ALP and the ACTU.

Are you telling me that every employee's every complaint is valid? So, in your world, there are no lazy employees, none who don't show up to work, who never have a bad attitude, and no employees who ever steal, insult customers or get in fights at work (because, where I have worked, each and every one of these has occurred by people I work with).

Also, what is getting paid properly? You should be paid what has been agreed to, and what you have worked for, but there are workers who think that they should be paid more when they aren't prepared to meet that with productivity.

You should be paid what you signed on to. If you want more, take on more responsibility, and do more, and GOOD bosses (which you act like don't exist) will reward you. I believe, in most cases, good workers get rewarded by good bosses.

Also, if you are not happy where you are-LEAVE! I think people are whingers if they complain, and yet do nothing to change their circumstances.

If you are not happy at your job, leave, and either start your own business, or look for work. A year of being unemployed will make you see that any job is better than none at all, and running your own business will teach you that employees aren't the only people who work hard and long. Maybe when you actually go through one of these, you might be in a better position to talk and not just drink your ALP Kool-Aid.
Its cute you think I vote labour

I've also never said employees are always good or managers are always bad

I use the term manager for a reason

I've said small businesses should be supported, all I've said is running a small business isnt an excuse for being s**t to the people that work for you, and that working for someone else doesn't mean you can't have a valid complaint about your job or your manager whether you work for a big business or small one

Its cute you think I vote labour

I've also never said employees are always good or managers are always bad

I use the term manager for a reason

I've said small businesses should be supported, all I've said is running a small business isnt an excuse for being s**t to the people that work for you, and that working for someone else doesn't mean you can't have a valid complaint about your job or your manager whether you work for a big business or small one

Sure, if you have a valid complaint, it should be listened to. I believe if someone needs time off, or has personal issues, I would have no problems helping them out.

But it depends what counts as vaild complaints. In this age of entitlement, people think any complaint is valid, when they could fix the problem themselves. Some people don't like being told what to do, even if the request is a valid one.

It cuts both ways. I generally have found that you are treated the way you treat others. Treat employees well, and they remain loyal and productive. Treat your employer well, and most will cut you some slack, if they see that you are really trying, and will help you out. Good employers AND good employees make a good workplace, and bad ones of either group should be drummed out of the industry.

i didn't say that you vote Labor, but the "all bosses are bastards" mentality sounds ripped out of the Bill Shorten playbook (I'd love to see what would happen if the ALP or the ACTU had an employee who stole from them, or committed sexual harrassment in the workplace, and then when they sack the guilty party, get hit with an unfair dismissal claim. Let's see how they deal with that).

Sure, if you have a valid complaint, it should be listened to. I believe if someone needs time off, or has personal issues, I would have no problems helping them out.

But it depends what counts as vaild complaints. In this age of entitlement, people think any complaint is valid, when they could fix the problem themselves. Some people don't like being told what to do, even if the request is a valid one.

It cuts both ways. I generally have found that you are treated the way you treat others. Treat employees well, and they remain loyal and productive. Treat your employer well, and most will cut you some slack, if they see that you are really trying, and will help you out. Good employers AND good employees make a good workplace, and bad ones of either group should be drummed out of the industry.

i didn't say that you vote Labor, but the "all bosses are bastards" mentality sounds ripped out of the Bill Shorten playbook.
But I've never said all bosses are bastards and you said I drink ALP kool-aid

I agree the best work places are the ones where everyone works as a team

Start your own business.

Pretty sure I would fight you if knew you, hate you entitled kents.
You took the risk so deal with it.

If you are not happy at your job, leave, and either start your own business, or look for work. A year of being unemployed will make you see that any job is better than none at all, and running your own business will teach you that employees aren't the only people who work hard and long. I have been on all three sides of the spectrum (run a part of the business, been an employee, and been out of work, as well as setbacks most businesses and workers have never had to deal with, so I know what I am talking about. Maybe when you actually go through one of these, you might be in a better position to talk, rather than basing your opinions on your own bad boss, how the media portray bosses, the ALP and the ACTU.
The problem with small business (actual small business, where the owner works day in day out doing actual work) is that most have bought into the bullshit that they are allied with 'business' rather than workers.

A few dollars extra in a good employees paycheck will never send a small business to the wall, but the predatory monopolies of the multinational big business break them by the thousands.

The ACTU could be the best friend small business could have if only they see their common enemy.

To really get to the gist of the original post, I have come to the conclusion that part time hours is the future, as in,

I have been to Europe and the people I met seemed to have more extra time during the week away from work to do the things they want to do, They seem happier and nicer people to be around.

Just my experience...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back