Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not in full training and they're not exactly sure when he will resume full training. He obviously won't play JLT. Think it's fair to say we can rule him out for the first few rounds of the season. Given he hasn't played in a while, might not be a bad idea to bring him back for a half in the VFL first before he sees any senior action.

My guess is there’s been a complication the club hasn’t told us about. Lynch was adamant in his first interviews with us that he’d be right for JLT and to do most of a pre season

Reckon the club is just being cautious. Like they were with Prestia last year. They are integral cogs to our best 22, so we don't want to be like the Pies, Hawks etc and rush underdone players back and injure them further.

I trust the club. unlike us they see him day in day out and would know exactly where he is at. We won a flag and finished on top without him, it's not like we need him to win games.

Here is a scenario, If Jack's wife gives birth beforehand and Jack plays then Lynch won't, if Jack doesn't play then Lynch will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thought this bloke went to collingwood, eddie is mates with his old man

Na we paying his sister 5 mill a year that she is going to pass onto him

I thought even round six for Lynch to debut.
Melbourne Dees. No rush.
Hawthorn rushed Mitchell back and paid the price, plus tougher draw this year.

Reckon the club is just being cautious. Like they were with Prestia last year. They are integral cogs to our best 22, so we don't want to be like the Pies, Hawks etc and rush underdone players back and injure them further.
From memory Prestia barely trained when he came to us, don't recall if he played JLT & was eased into the season & was firing in Sept. Lynch is on same timeline & be wrapped it it ends up the same way.

The Club has a good track record with this kind of thing in recent yrs, no point rushing him in for rd 1 then have him miss rd 2 & 3 etc with soreness. I'd rather have him come in when he's 100% & he'll be right from then on. If he needs to be managed during the yr then so be it, gives Moore/Balta maybe a chance to get some games. As another posted said we have won more games than anyone else in last 2 yrs without him so having him come in is purely a bonus.

Last edited:
Lynch comes in when ready. He's actually doing some match simulation by the videos we've seen. So he can't be too far off. But not really match fit you'd think.

The interesting one to me the ruck thing. We plan on a second ruck. So either go for a full on ruck (Soldo or CCJ) and play Nank as a big ruck rover. Or play a mobile tall (Balta or Chol) are back up ruck that can do a role otherwise.

I have no idea, but in some ways I'd look at Soldo first up to bash and crash against better tap rucks. If his fitness has improved then I reckon he'll do a decent job. If CCJ is as good they say then maybe he'll leapfrog. CCJ will kill Soldo when he's mature in body.

As for playing Balta or Chol. They'd have to be able to do a good roel around the ground or as a KPF. Do we need that? No. Unless Tom is not in, then maybe play one for structure.

I reckon if we played a genuine tall ruck and Nank we could come out ahead. Nank could easily be worthwhile resting forward and hitting contests around the ground. Then the other tall tries to smash bodies and play a kick behind.

having said all that I don't know them well enough to know how we'd play another ruck. But given Nank's weakness is taps, it seems silly if we don't brign in a tap ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back