TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

If AFLs long term plan is 20 teams the Tasmanian team will be an addition.

If they want an 18 team comp GC is the likely chopping block. GC is not meeting expectations on and off the field. The recent poor form of GC and they are also looking at a few more years of hardship will be hard to overcome.
2026 is the target year so it would need to be decided by 2024 what the make up of the comp would be so it is not that far away.

Think the 91K members currently based in tasmania is amazing. Very parochial state and I feel there would be no trouble converting 50K of them the local team.

Gold Coast Suns will never die. Victorian clubs will be cut before that.

20K members and 10Mil would be considered a ******* miracle for GC so why the higher expectations on Tassie.

Very simple. Gold Coast is a developing market, starting off small but with a lot of scope for improvement. Tasmania however is already AFL saturated, so there is no growth there, and importantly unlike the Gold Coast, Tasmania is one of the slowest growing areas in Australia, so there is no real growth expected there either.

If AFLs long term plan is 20 teams the Tasmanian team will be an addition.

If they want an 18 team comp GC is the likely chopping block. GC is not meeting expectations on and off the field. The recent poor form of GC and they are also looking at a few more years of hardship will be hard to overcome.
2026 is the target year so it would need to be decided by 2024 what the make up of the comp would be so it is not that far away.

Think the 91K members currently based in tasmania is amazing. Very parochial state and I feel there would be no trouble converting 50K of them the local team.

Mate it’s about broadcasting, the AFL and most other leagues simply run themselves as content providers. GC aren’t going anyway.

20K members and 10Mil would be considered a ******* miracle for GC so why the higher expectations on Tassie.

Tassie would be the only club that actually deserves a COLA considering how small the area is and how hard it would be for them to attract top talent.

You've answered your own question.

Small market, that wont grow means that they have to start a lot stronger than a club that was always there with a view to long term growth and how it'll be 30-50 years down the track.

That you think they'd need to be given an advantage (COLA) just to be competitive is a problem, especially when their situation is likely to only get worse as time goes on.

I would love to see a team in Tassie; but I genuinely think the biggest issue is going to be player retention.

It's a beautiful place, but how many AFL players are going to want to live there?

Why not? It's only an hour from Melbourne, much closer than Perth and closer than Sydney and Queensland. Hobart isn't bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

because its freezing in winter.
there is f all to do in terms of entertainment. If you're in nature and hiking and camping its a different story.

I love tassie and I love hobart, but if you get offered similiar money to your job in Melbourne it'd be a pretty easy decision.

Well during the season there isn't going to be too much partying anyway. It's so professional and regulated nowadays. That mostly happens in the off season.

If I was from Vic I'd choose Tassie over WA on location. Much closer.

Tasmania has far more potential to grow , its economy is booming , realestate is still 9% positive going against national trends.

Most importantly the people here WILL front up to see their home side play football, does not matter how many millions you have in the Gold Coast, no one want to support a team of any sort there.

My bet is a 3rd team in Western Australia.

One day I would like to see the Bulldogs partially relocate to Ballarat, but that is not feasible in the near future as Ballarat is still too small. It is growing reasonably quickly though, from what I know anyway.

Ballarat is like a 75 min train ride to Marval Stadium. Totally unnecessary. Plus, the weather is horrific regularly.

Well during the season there isn't going to be too much partying anyway. It's so professional and regulated nowadays. That mostly happens in the off season.

If I was from Vic I'd choose Tassie over WA on location. Much closer.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA..... ok mate

They’ll be able to retain players but they’ll have to do it on the back of success. Players don’t leave stable, successful, well-run clubs in great numbers.

There’s examples in all sports of “small town” clubs who punch miles above their weight on the back of being well-run and winning.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA..... ok mate

But seriously it won't be issue. And for say visiting family ans friends Tas is better than Perth. And if it is it'll help keep Tasmanian talent in Tassie, where they can represent on the national stage.

Jeez, lets focus on getting the talent pool a bit deeper before we start bringing in new clubs into the AFL.
No reason at all Tasmania shouldnt have a side in the VFL asap, but unless one of the current AFL clubs is ready to pack up and immigrate to Tasmania permanently, I dont think we should be having this discussion of Tasmania being in the big league for at least another five or so years.

Note the URL...."gil-mclachlan-quip" A quip? That's what they're going on?

On Monday, AFL chief executive Gil McLachlan told Fox Sports AFL 360 "the building blocks are in place" for a Tasmanian team.

How can the State Government back a bid for a standalone team while continuing to fund both the Hawks and Roos?
Both deals will expire in 2021, and as of today, there's no word on whether or not they'll be extended.
If an AFL team is the number-one priority of the State Government, the year 2021 would be the perfect time to cut the cord.
Doing so would coincide with the return of the Tasmanian Devils to the VFL that same year, underpinned by the full-time Devils under-18s male and female teams playing in their respective national competitions.
These are the "building blocks" McLachlan is referring to.

Tasmania has far more potential to grow , its economy is booming , realestate is still 9% positive going against national trends.

Most importantly the people here WILL front up to see their home side play football, does not matter how many millions you have in the Gold Coast, no one want to support a team of any sort there.

Tas economy is booming???

Is this some new definition of booming I'm not aware of?

As for support...GC average home crowds are already about as good as Tas can hope for. (18,670...which is about capacity for the Tas grounds)

edited to add...

I checked into Tas's 'booming' economy...2017-18 is grew 3.3% That's the 3rd best state (4th if you include ACT) and as the ABS notes, that's the best growth they've had in a decade.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back