TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d rather play a Tassie team in Tassie than a Melbourne team in Tassie
Why? What difference does that make to you?

And you've got it wrong anyway... The Eagles have played 5 games in Tassie over the past 10 years. If the AFL bring a Tassie team into the comp, you'll be playing a game there EVERY year. One less game for West Coast in Melbourne vs Coll/Carl/Ess/Rich/Haw. One less game for you guys at the MCG.

Enjoy

And you've got it wrong anyway... The Eagles have played 5 games in Tassie over the past 10 years. If the AFL bring a Tassie team into the comp, you'll be playing a game there EVERY year. One less game for West Coast in Melbourne vs Coll/Carl/Ess/Rich/Haw. One less game for you guys at the MCG.

Enjoy
Wrong.
With a Tas team there’d be no Melbn teams playing there. We’d still play there every two years on average.

Enjoy

How many times have Collingwood, or Essendon played in Tasmania the last 10 years?

How many times have Collingwood, or Essendon played in Tasmania the last 10 years?
That will change. They can't just play each other every week. Why would the AFL schedule Haw v Coll or NM v Ess in tassie? The whole purpose of us playing in Tassie is to make some coin from our low-drawing games va Freo/Port/Bris etc... But with a Tassie stand-alone team, the Pies and Bombers will have to play their share of away games there. And even if they don't, they'll still have a crappy non-event home fixture vs Tassie

Another non-Victorian team in the comp will mean one extra travel fixture each year for Vic clubs and one less chance to double up with blockbuster/rivalry/derby games vs other Victorian clubs. Simple mathematics.

The Swans will play one less game at the MCG every second year. Instead of playing say.. Hawthorn at the G in front of 45-50,000, they'll be freezing their arses off in Hobart in front of 15,000. Enjoy that. And every other year, when Sydney plays a home game vs the Tassie Hillbillies, instead of playing in front of a packed SCG with 5,000 Hawks fans making the trip, you'll have 3 men and a dog making the trip. It'll be just like those s**t home games you play vs Freo with your stadium half-filled. Enjoy that.

That will change. They can't just play each other every week. Why would the AFL schedule Haw v Coll or NM v Ess in tassie? The whoole purpose of us playing in Tassie is to make some coin from our low-drawing games va Freo/Port/Bris etc... But with a Tassie stand alone team, the OPies and Bombers will have to play their share of away games there. And if they don't, they have a crappy home fixture vs tassie

Another non-Victorian team in the comp will mean one extra travel fixture each year and one less chance to double up with MCG blockbusters vs other Vic clubs

The Swans will play one less game at the MCG every second year. Instead of playing say.. Hawthorn at the G in front of 45-50,000, they'll be freezing their arses off in Hobart in front of 15,000. Enjoy that. And every other year, when Sydney plays a home game vs the Tassie Hillbillies, instead of playing in front of a packed SCG with 5,000 Hawks fans making the trip, you'll have 3 men and a dog making the trip. It'll be just like those s**t home games you play vs Freo with your stadium half-filled. Enjoy that.

What’s to say there aren’t plenty of ex tassie in Sydney?

LMAO. Cry me a river
Victorian derby games are of no concern to you. You barrack for a team on the opposite side of the continent to me and going to the MCG & catching up with old mates & relos is something you never do, so your thoughts on that particular issue are irrelevant. That was more directed to the majority of AFL fans who happen to live in Victoria (including the Melbourne-based fans of non-Vic clubs)

People here in Vic who get misty-eyed about a Tassie team need to realise their own club will play at least 1 game a year LESS against another Victorian team. One less game at a packed MCG or Marvel Stadium sitting with their mates from another club. One more shitty interstate TV fixture at 1pm from Launceston or Hobart

(Hawthorn fans will be better off. We'll get MORE games in Melbourne than we currently do, so it's no skin off my nose.)

The real LMAO is the way people whine incessantly when their team is drawn to play one of the 8 relocated Tassie fixtures vs Hawthorn or North and yet they're all for a new Tassie team. What do they think it's going to look like travelling there to play one of the 11 Tassie Hillbillies games? Do they think there will be 50,000 screaming ferals doing the Mexican Wave and singing "Up There Cazaly" ?

Last edited:
The inference with extra teams is teams will only play each other once on rotation.

Therefore west coast will play in tassie one year, and tassie will play them the other year.

Now because there are two teams in wa sa nsw qld tassie will visit there once every year.

So of tassies 9 or 10 games per year, it’s one each in those places, and six in Melbourne, and vice versa

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s to say there aren’t plenty of ex tassie in Sydney?
There probably are quite a few

And NOT ONE of them will suddenly stop barracking for Hawthorn, Carlton, St Kilda, Richmond, Collingwood or whatever other team they've grown up with and followed all their lives

They're not going to chuck that away and start barracking for the AFL's latest shitty franchise just because they once lived there. In fact it's 100% more likely they'll be barracking for their adopted Sydney Swans than barracking for the Apple Island Hillbillies.

Victorian derby games are of no concern to you. You barrack for a team on the opposite side of the continent to me and going to the MCG & catching up with old mates & relos is something you never do, so your thoughts on that particular issue are irrelevant. That was more directed to the majority of AFL fans who happen to live in Victoria (including the Melbourne-based fans of non-Vic clubs)

People here in Vic who get misty-eyed about a Tassie team need to realise their own club will play at least 1 game a year LESS against another Victorian team. One less game at a packed MCG or Marvel Stadium sitting with their mates from another club. One more shitty interstate TV fixture at 1pm from Launceston or Hobart

(Hawthorn fans will be better off. We'll get MORE games in Melbourne than we currently do, so it's no skin off my nose.)

The real LMAO is the way people whine incessantly when their team is drawn to play one of the 8 relocated Tassie fixtures vs Hawthorn or North and yet they're all for a new Tassie team. What do they think it's going to look like travelling there to play one of the 11 Tassie Hillbillies games? Do they think there will be 50,000 screaming ferals doing the Mexican Wave and singing "Up There Cazaly" ?
You can always head back to the VFA or whatever it is if you don't like the idea of a true NATIONAL comp.

You can always head back to the VFA or whatever it is if you don't like the idea of a true NATIONAL comp.
No, I'll just continue barracking for Hawthorn as always, but sigh at the AFL erosion of our great game

Please explain to me why we need another deadweight minnow in our comp ?

Do you honestly think the league has improved with the addition of GWS and Gold Coast?

No, I'll just continue barracking for Hawthorn as always, but sigh at the AFL erosion of our great game

Please explain to me why we need another deadweight minnow in our comp ?

Do you honestly think the league has improved with the addition of GWS and Gold Coast?
I just want Tasmania - a footy state - to have a presence in our wonderful national comp.

Why do you hate Tasmania?

I'd love to see a Tasmanian team. It's a true footballing territory, and one that has taken a bit of a hit in the last decade, mostly due to a lack of support from the big end of town.

Despite the obvious challenge that was always going to exist, I've been supportive of the reasons behind the moves to introduce teams to western Sydney and the Gold Coast, but I think when the next expansion team(s) come in (and the league will definitely expand again at some point), at least one of the teams should be into a traditional footballing region - so either Perth, Adelaide or Tasmania. The latter being my preference.

Obviously the economics and potential growth are not as strong for Tassie as it perhaps is for other regions, but I would like it to not just be pure economics, although it obviously needs to at least be viable. For instance Darwin with a population of ~150,000 and no nearby sizeable towns just would not make any economic sense, despite being a passionate football region.

But with 550,000 living in Tasmania, I think there is just enough to make it work. OK they'll almost certainly never be an off field powerhouse like Richmond, Collingwood etc but they should be able to regularly sell out home games at York Park and Bellerieve, become a profitable club and be a safe option for a new team after what's been a risky round of expansion, particularly up on the Gold Coast. And with the draft and salary cap, any team that's not a basket case off the field, can get themselves into position to at least challenge for a flag.

In many ways, Tasmania's loyalty to the game and their desire to see top flight footy has become their Achilles heel. The best thing they can do is stop going to Kangaroos and Hawks games (There already has been a pretty decent drop in crowd numbers over the last few years).

I just want Tasmania - a footy state - to have a presence in our wonderful national comp.

Why do you hate Tasmania?
I love Tasmania. It's a beautiful state. But for AFL footy, it's a backwater. This is a club competition. It's not a State vs State comp. A Tassie AFL franchise is about appealing to me as a new team from Bendigo, Albury or Darwin. Those places also have rich heritage of football tradition. What have YOU got against them? Why shouldn't they also have teams? (I'll answer: because they're not big enough, They would be minnows.)

Yeah I agree with the problems with player retention (x10). The problem these days is that it's too easy to switch teams because there are so many. And even if they can't get home, they just go to a Vic club instead (see Omeara/M McGovern etc).

As for support...GC average home crowds are already about as good as Tas can hope for. (18,670...which is about capacity for the Tas grounds)
Gold Coast's home crowd average is ~14,200 but have been below that figure in each of the last four years. It was 13,547 last year.

18,670 was Gold Coast average attendance for home AND away games last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back