TAS Tassie... happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can imagine a Tassie team in 2026 and then a third WA team in 2030 to make it an even 20 teams (assuming GC doesnt fold). I could imagine a fair amount of NOR Eagles supporters jumping ship to a third team, especially a team based near Joondalup/Morley. Fremantle: SOR, Eagles: Perth and surrounding suburbs, third team: NOR.

I would love to see a team in Tassie; but I genuinely think the biggest issue is going to be player retention.

It's a beautiful place, but how many AFL players are going to want to live there?
They'll need a COLA-style arrangement to begin with. Older guys with families would go there for a couple of years on decent coin, you'd think. Get those vets in to build the culture from the ground up, draft young guys with as much character as talent (which will mean missing out on a few young stand outs, but that's not what this is about) and all of a sudden you have a down-to-earth playing group and culture. Once that's in place, as the Swans have shown, it can last a very long time. They should find attracting coaching staff easier than players. The AFL would probably go after an experienced coach and a nominated assistant in a hand-over plan - someone in the Sheedy/Roos mould that wants a project whilst not wanting to be a long-term coach. Surround them with proven assistant coaches, and you have a strong club inside and out. If they can get 30k+ to every match, you're not looking at graveyard GCS style games that turn everybody off.

Seems like an obvious thing I reckon, but I'm definitely not convinced on it being another new team. Saints or Norf perhaps.

The retention thing is an interesting problem, but I can see it working out. Tas has always looked like paradise to me, and if you're a young dude who's into the outdoors surely it'd be the same. It's hardly Siberia; easy to get to Melbourne if you want a big city for a few days etc. Certainly it'd be better if you get that sorta scene in your footy team as opposed to bunch of pill popping junkies

But with 550,000 living in Tasmania, I think there is just enough to make it work. OK they'll almost certainly never be an off field powerhouse like Richmond, Collingwood etc but they should be able to regularly sell out home games at York Park and Bellerieve, become a profitable club and be a safe option for a new team after what's been a risky round of expansion, particularly up on the Gold Coast. And with the draft and salary cap, any team that's not a basket case off the field, can get themselves into position to at least challenge for a flag.

If all 550,000 people were in one city then I would agree with you completely. The problem is that they are spread across 2 cities, and those 2 cities are far enough apart that it would be very difficult for the fans in one city to travel to the other city if there was a game.

They'll need a COLA-style arrangement to begin with. Older guys with families would go there for a couple of years on decent coin, you'd think. Get those vets in to build the culture from the ground up, draft young guys with as much character as talent (which will mean missing out on a few young stand outs, but that's not what this is about) and all of a sudden you have a down-to-earth playing group and culture. Once that's in place, as the Swans have shown, it can last a very long time. They should find attracting coaching staff easier than players. The AFL would probably go after an experienced coach and a nominated assistant in a hand-over plan - someone in the Sheedy/Roos mould that wants a project whilst not wanting to be a long-term coach. Surround them with proven assistant coaches, and you have a strong culture again. If they can get 30k+ to every match, you're not looking at graveyard GCS style games that turn everybody off.

Not sure about that mate; the Crows have a lot of trouble attracting quality assistants; Port the same.

I'd love to see them get a team, but I suspect they would need a massive type COLA arrangement, for a significant period of time.

Not sure about that mate; the Crows have a lot of trouble attracting quality assistants; Port the same.

I'd love to see them get a team, but I suspect they would need a massive type COLA arrangement, for a significant period of time.
Tassie's a lovely place for kids to grow up though. Great culture and great scenery. I've not been to Adelaide, I've heard its very nice, but its always come across to me as being a smaller major city. Tassie is a different kettle of fish.

If all 550,000 people were in one city then I would agree with you completely. The problem is that they are spread across 2 cities, and those 2 cities are far enough apart that it would be very difficult for the fans in one city to travel to the other city if there was a game.
Granted that is an issue and the 2.5 drive is just a painful enough distance.

There are always some hardcore footy fans who will get to (just about) every home game and a small portion who are keen for a road trip to/from Launceston to Hobart, but by and large the home support will need to come from whichever home town each respective home game is played at (I'm a firm believer home games would need to split between the two main cities).

It will help them that games are close to Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney so they should be able to draw a decent away contingent of supporters looking for a weekend away to Tassie, particularly in the early years where there is potentially a lot of football fans who have never been to Tasmania and now have a great reason to check it out.

Whilst the split (both mentally and geographically) between Hobart and Launceston is an obstacle, I think it is one they can overcome.

They'll need a COLA-style arrangement to begin with. Older guys with families would go there for a couple of years on decent coin, you'd think. Get those vets in to build the culture from the ground up, draft young guys with as much character as talent (which will mean missing out on a few young stand outs, but that's not what this is about) and all of a sudden you have a down-to-earth playing group and culture. Once that's in place, as the Swans have shown, it can last a very long time. They should find attracting coaching staff easier than players. The AFL would probably go after an experienced coach and a nominated assistant in a hand-over plan - someone in the Sheedy/Roos mould that wants a project whilst not wanting to be a long-term coach. Surround them with proven assistant coaches, and you have a strong club inside and out. If they can get 30k+ to every match, you're not looking at graveyard GCS style games that turn everybody off.
no we wouldnt need a COLA(unless Hobart House prices continue to increase)

Player retention on this thread is massively over-rated. The 2 clubs which has struggled the most with that has been Brisbane and Gold Coast. Last time I checked, Queensland was where most non-footy Victorians go to live. The "go home" factor is an issue for every club in every state. And the best cure for that is a good footy culture at the club level. Sure, we might struggle to entice a non-Tassie star player, but so do the Kangaroos and half the clubs in Victoria. You don't need that to win premierships.

A new Tassie club will go after a "Matthew Wade" type, a Tasmanian living aboard wanting to come home to family reasons. They will target locals kids to reduce the risk of go home, like what other clubs do nowadays.

Until there's an announcement by the AFL I won't believe it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Good. If Tasmania gets a team then fine. as For the 20th side. As tempting to get a 3rd WA side, I want Canberra to come in. See Tough Man Tony Abbott hold an AFL shirt and hurl abuse at him on my TV.

I'd like to see a full time Canberra team once GWS is strong enough to play all its games in Sydney. Tasmania 2025-26, then bring Canberra in 2027-28

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see a team in Tassie; but I genuinely think the biggest issue is going to be player retention.

It's a beautiful place, but how many AFL players are going to want to live there?
nail. head.

everyone wants a team in tassie, but the players wouldn't wanna stay there.
because its freezing in winter.
there is f all to do in terms of entertainment. If you're in nature and hiking and camping its a different story.

I love tassie and I love hobart, but if you get offered similiar money to your job in Melbourne it'd be a pretty easy decision.

Just because you like doing something doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.
There would be plenty of blokes who would love to have a farm in a quiet place in Tassie where they can hunt + fish on the reg away from the city.

Not only that but I'd let them have access to any Tasmanians as zone selections.

Could happen if the Tassie gov is literally willing to pay for it. I doubt that would be a ‘forever’ thing though, a change of government and it all changes.

The Vics will be more likely to be supportive of it though - considering Tasmania is basically a country town in Southern Victoria.

They will battle to retain players....but everyone will ignore they also keep getting raided by the same 3-4 clubs every time...

20 team comp is ridiculous though...

I'd like to see a full time Canberra team once GWS is strong enough to play all its games in Sydney. Tasmania 2025-26, then bring Canberra in 2027-28
yep, thats where I would aim to have the next two from. Not for a while though.

Just because you like doing something doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.
There would be plenty of blokes who would love to have a farm in a quiet place in Tassie where they can hunt + fish on the reg away from the city.

Not only that but I'd let them have access to any Tasmanians as zone selections.

Lol, hate to break it to you but "hunting and fishing" is about at the bottom of the to do list for 99.9% of 18 year old draftees.

About as stupid as thinking 18 year olds want to live in Tasmania.

Old bogans who enjoy huntin' and fishin' and 18 year olds who think they're superstars and want to party... Notice any difference?

1. 18 year olds dont get a choice anyway so your stupidly irrational claim of 99.9% is irrelevant
2. There are 18 year olds who live in tassie now and there will be more next year as well
2. You dont have to be an old bogan to enjoy hunting an fishing, another stupid sweeping irrational statement.
3. Its more to do with the lifestyle, didnt realise I had to spell that out for you but some people want to do their work an live in peace and quiet. Camp, be able to see the stars at night time, have bikes an quads out in the bush etc. They dont all wanna sip lattes in an overcrowded cafe.
4. Not everyone in the world are 18 years old, plenty of other blokes of all ages who wanna play footy an would see tassie as an option.
5. Been plenty of good players come out of Tassie in recent years, couple of them might love the chance to represent their state.

But let me guess your response "duhh tassie is s**t as and everyone wants to live in melbz"

1. 18 year olds dont get a choice anyway so your stupidly irrational claim of 99.9% is irrelevant
2. There are 18 year olds who live in tassie now and there will be more next year as well
2. You dont have to be an old bogan to enjoy hunting an fishing, another stupid sweeping irrational statement.
3. Its more to do with the lifestyle, didnt realise I had to spell that out for you but some people want to do their work an live in peace and quiet. Camp, be able to see the stars at night time, have bikes an quads out in the bush etc. They dont all wanna sip lattes in an overcrowded cafe.
4. Not everyone in the world are 18 years old, plenty of other blokes of all ages who wanna play footy an would see tassie as an option.
5. Been plenty of good players come out of Tassie in recent years, couple of them might love the chance to represent their state.

But let me guess your response "duhh tassie is s**t as and everyone wants to live in melbz"

I'm sorry to tell you but the bush-loving bogan is a dying breed. The majority of young kids these days want to live in the big cities, the stats prove this and for you to try and argue against it so stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back