Preview Round 3, 2019: Fremantle v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium, Sunday 7th April, 3:20PM AWST

Who Wins?

• Dockers

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 64 67.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee talk about a delayed post. I got down to training today before the boys jet off to Perth. It would be an understatement if I were to tell you that spirits were high at the club.

Boys went through about an hour or so of match-sim stuff. It was pretty high intensity. Longy was superb - clearly wants to make amends for what happened last week with his omission. Speed is what the team focused on today. High intensity transition work. Team defense, speed out of stoppage, kicking long, using their legs to break away. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the boys will revel in the huge ground of Optus Stadium.

No injury concerns. Roma moved freely. Admittedly did have the ankle strapped but didn't look like it was bothering him.

No idea why Wilkie is missing, maybe managing his program ala Stuv?

After the match sim drills the boys did some of their own stuff. Gresh, JB, Steeley, Longy and Matty Parker were over near the boundary where I was standing and they were taking some shots at goal. Club posted a video of the one Steeley drilled - was first class. Drop punt on the left foot tight up against the boundary. He copped some s**t from the coaches before he slotted it so his response was pretty funny.

Think we had a full group out there. Couldn't see anyone missing of note that we don't know about already. Few boys were in the gym, too. Everyone is on their own programs and some have their minutes managed. Jono Marsh took part too by the way, which was nice to see. Big lad. I think Richo said he'll play in the 2's this weekend.

Got to say though from what I saw today and the evidence of the last four weeks, I am confident we will give Sunday a real shake. I think the boys have really bought into this underdog mentality. Crossed off the list by everyone in the media. Injuries to key players. An embattled coach and administration. Whilst it was somewhat deserved, we copped a huge whack over the summer. Every session I've been to post-Christmas has been fire in the belly type stuff. They weren't bullshitting us when they went public and said that they need to rectify what happened last year.

I think our game style and team defense will keep us in the game on Sunday. It'll be all about making the most of our opportunities, especially in a hostile environment. Got to keep a lid on it, but if we can pull this off over there in Perth it may be the catalyst for our entire year, if last week wasn't exactly that already.

I am equally interested to see how the boys respond after our first loss - whenever that may be, because it will show how far we've come if we get back on the horse and perform well the following week, or slump back into old habits and let the season get away from us.

which year do you foresee that loss happening in. I'd prefer it in 2020, if at all

I anticipate it is a factor. Hamill would be the one on our coaching staff who could best relate to this issue. In all seriousness could have cost us 4pts
Big fan off Longs aggression too as well as all the quality attributes he has, speed good disposal good overhead. Was presenting really well against GC in the 1st half which gave us another option, which we needed. But he definitely needs to work on his discipline, the Stuv reversal i think was ridiculous but he gives away quite a few free kicks and lucky not to give more away in that game

We sat behind the goals in that game, the GC players targeted Parker and Long was usually only going in to bat for his mate. The umpires were letting it go and after a while just cherry picking frees. It was like the umpires were trying to let him get triggered then punishing him for it. They could have paid free against the guys instigating and it would never have gone that far.

Exactly. Imagine if Clarko dumped Sicily every time he overstepped. Instead he backs him in. I reckon Long needs to play AFL, let him make a few mistakes and we will reap the rewards in the near future.

Anyway, I thought Richo was going to start focussing on the positives instead of negatives?

I'm not complaining that he was dropped / not recalled, but I just don't think he is the sort of bloke to thrive with the sword of Damocles hanging over him. We need him to play on the edge and can't whinge if he (very slightly) oversteps.

Big fan off Longs aggression too as well as all the quality attributes he has, speed good disposal good overhead. Was presenting really well against GC in the 1st half which gave us another option, which we needed. But he definitely needs to work on his discipline, the Stuv reversal i think was ridiculous but he gives away quite a few free kicks and lucky not to give more away in that game

Seriously though, the goldy player punches him first in front of the umpire, Long fakes like he might hit him then gives him a hit about half the force of the one he received and gets a free against him, the cheer squad was getting really loud because the umpire wasn't policing it, and the umpire seemed to be trying to trigger Long and the crowd by paying something that was blatantly unfair, it was like '80s WWF. To me it was just a petty power play by the umpires with no feel for the moment or the game and no interest in even handed officiating. This wasn't a spur of the moment free in the heat of play. This was a deliberate act of petty power.

Exactly. Imagine if Clarko dumped Sicily every time he overstepped. Instead he backs him in. I reckon Long needs to play AFL, let him make a few mistakes and we will reap the rewards in the near future.

Anyway, I thought Richo was going to start focussing on the positives instead of negatives?

I'm not complaining that he was dropped / not recalled, but I just don't think he is the sort of bloke to thrive with the sword of Damocles hanging over him. We need him to play on the edge and can't whinge if he (very slightly) oversteps.
Think your right on this.
Could easily stifle his tanacity by holding him back to work on one negative.
Just play him and he'll be a gun

Nah jack is the best and the original jack. Therefore he can be referred to as Jack. The other jacks need to be defined a little more different than just Jack.

Jack 2
Jack 3
Etc

Worse is when one goes to the interchange bench & the commentators say “Jack Off” :eek:
I mean there is only so much a bloke can take.:D

Marshall to reach new heights this week. He’ll dominate Lobb. Was a bit worried about him vs the 200kg lump of Darcy. Not worried about Hogan as I once was.. he looks a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Walters the key match up.. like McKenzie to have first crack. Wear him like a glove, staying his goalside all game. Steele to Fyfe.

Our forward line - both tall and small looks the winner. Parker, Bruce & Membrey should have a field day.

Saints by 24. Membrey to kick 7.

Marshall to reach new heights this week. He’ll dominate Lobb. Was a bit worried about him vs the 200kg lump of Darcy. Not worried about Hogan as I once was.. he looks a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Walters the key match up.. like McKenzie to have first crack. Wear him like a glove, staying his goalside all game. Steele to Fyfe.

Our forward line - both tall and small looks the winner. Parker, Bruce & Membrey should have a field day.

the pessimism in this forum is over the top

Seriously though, the goldy player punches him first in front of the umpire, Long fakes like he might hit him then gives him a hit about half the force of the one he received and gets a free against him, the cheer squad was getting really loud because the umpire wasn't policing it, and the umpire seemed to be trying to trigger Long and the crowd by paying something that was blatantly unfair, it was like '80s WWF. To me it was just a petty power play by the umpires with no feel for the moment or the game and no interest in even handed officiating. This wasn't a spur of the moment free in the heat of play. This was a deliberate act of petty power.

I like the way you are able to move on when something upsets you... ;)

Yeah right. Just play him regardless of form. Just like White.

Yeah right. Just play him regardless of form. Just like White.

We need a sarcasm font on here because I genuinely can't tell if you are serious. Long could not have been dropped on form after Rd 1. He was far better than plenty others - ie Kent. Anyway, I'm not melting, I just think Long could have a big future but will need to play on the edge and will therefore give away the odd free.

Bruce and Membrey both look like they are on the cusp of having a huge game. Hopefully Parker puts on a show for his home town. Kent to make me look foolish for bagging him too.

We need a sarcasm font on here because I genuinely can't tell if you are serious. Long could not have been dropped on form after Rd 1. He was far better than plenty others - ie Kent. Anyway, I'm not melting, I just think Long could have a big future but will need to play on the edge and will therefore give away the odd free.

Yeah, Longs pressure game was very good round one. Ironically they were probably one side we didn't need that kind of set up with. He would much more have suited Essendon and with his family history would have ben pretty keen to put on a display.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like you missed the explaination straight from richos mouth where he said longs aggression and/or giving away free kicks wasn't a factor in him being dropped.

Infact richo wants him to continue doing what he's been doing.
Richo basically just said with the small fwds all working well, someone had to be the unlucky one and longy was it this time.

Richo made it pretty clear long is being encouraged to play aggressive, him being dropped because of disciplinary reasons is a chinese whisper that began and ends on this board.

Yep, that free kick was ridiculous like the umpiring all game. I thought it was bad watching it at the game and then i watched the replay.

I anticipate it is a factor. Hamill would be the one on our coaching staff who could best relate to this issue. In all seriousness could have cost us 4pts

You anticipated inaccurately.

https://m.saints.com.au/news/2019-03-29/coachs-call-richo-previews-bombers

“We like Longy’s aggression. Every now and again, perhaps he doesn’t quite get that right but by and large that’s a real positive for us. This is more a balance of the team; we just think that with Parker and Lonie, Kent and our want to just be a little bit bigger in front of the ball.

“Longy’s a little bit unlucky there, we’ve had a conversation about what he needs to do to not be the unlucky one going forward, but he’s a terrific player, he’s just committed to us for a while and we’ve committed to him.

“We know he’s going to be a beauty, but he’s only a young fella. He’s only just started his AFL career and coping with non-selection is part of the journey and I’m sure he’ll deal with that really strongly.”

It sounds like you missed the explaination straight from richos mouth where he said longs aggression and/or giving away free kicks wasn't a factor in him being dropped.

Infact richo wants him to continue doing what he's been doing.
Richo basically just said with the small fwds all working well, someone had to be the unlucky one and longy was it this time.

Richo made it pretty clear long is being encouraged to play aggressive, him being dropped because of disciplinary reasons is a chinese whisper that began and ends on this board.

Fair enough. I guess I assumed his aggression / free kicks played a part because, on form, he could not have been dropped ahead of Kent.

Having said that, I am pretty happy with the current team selection and hope Kent can make a big impact. I'm just a Long fan and think we need his x factor and aggression.

I believe he just needs games at the level. He has already played a heap of VFL (inc a season at WB) and actually looks better at AFL level. Still young.

I was being serious...

(sarcasm)

If we must...

The clinical definition is a persons first in a capacity or a first public performance.

Be it first performance, first dance, first attempt to s**t gold, it is a debut to do such things.

Ergo, a bloke traveling interstate to potentially play, is a debut in that state, as it is their first time in their capacity as an AFL footballer to play outside of the state of Victoria.

This is what is known as English words having multiple inferences, such as being a verb and a noun.
Yeah ok if you say so

I love Long and he is one of my favourites, but he had 4 touches in the second half and none of them were in the last quarter.

Played very well in the first half, but as others have said, I recon he spent his petrol tickets early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back