Ben Brown Staging

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown can get this out of his game.

Dylan Grimes used to be a flopper. Hated seeing it, the way he used to deliberately throw himself at the tackler in order to draw a free for around the neck.

These days he's one of the most courageous players in the game and I haven't seen him do it for years.
2 weeks ago with Mason Cox.

This is the ugly truth of the matter, right here.

Go back and watch Ben Brown's career, and the amount of illegal holds/blocks/infringements that go un-called on him is astounding.
(Yes, I know "every" key-forward feels this way at times, but Brown copped it worse than any of them).

Then around early 2018 he started 'exaggerating' the illegal contacts a bit, and he finally started getting some justice.

It sucks, but as Tas said it's just one symptom of the overall much bigger issue that is the unacceptable standard of professional umpiring within the AFL.
So what you are saying is that Brown is not good enough to work through it and earn those frees without flopping?

Every supporter thinks their key forwards cop it worse than every other teams, heres a tip, umpires tend to ignore what they think are incidental breaches particularly in the forward line. All forwards cop their share of holds, blocks & infringements not called every single game. Sometimes they even get away with doing it themselves........

It's good he has been called out and publicly spotlighted, as should anyone who tries it...

Did giggle when he got put on the spot by a reporter and played the no comment card. Footy is serious businesses!

That is embarrassing.

Should cop a one week ban for staging.

But rucking is not for everyone.

Didn’t they say you can be suspended for staging? Or at least fined?

Don’t understand why this garbage is not called out and punished.

Th y must teach this s**t at north, first Lindsay now brown.

Nah it's fair if you use Rance's diving as a genuine comparison for the purpose of discussion - that's not what you did though. You deflected from discussing Brown's diving by posting a video of one of Rance's dives and implied that Richmond supporters aren't entitled to discuss the subject simply because one of their own players does it. Not sure that logic carries much weight.
I disagree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was doing that last year as well, shocked there wasn't heat on him sooner. I've been calling him Ben "Floppy" Brown since we played them last year, leads hard jumps and throws his arms out and head down it's his go to move, glad other people can see it and I'm not just crazy.

There’s actually a video of all of Ben browns goals in 2018. It is actually disgusting how many came from free kicks from him staging.

Have said many of times.Until the AFL make the umps full time these type of decisions will continue.

Or until they grow a set and punish it with the MRP once they have the vision.

Yeah it's taken a while for him to be called out for it but Brown waving his arms about at every contest exaggerating contact isn't exactly a new thing. Floggard went pretty hard here but he's spot on the money.

Goddard is an absolute ********. Stunned he got a gig in the media.

"Play like a man", what a dumb ******* thing to say.

Last edited:
Yeah, this isn't new. He's constantly flailing his arms in marking contests to give the impression he's being massively impeded. It'd only be a minor annoyance if the umpires didn't pay them so often. At one point last season he had 42 free kicks in marking contests with no other player above 25.
what are his stats this year - I know in the game v us he got 2 goals from free kicks and that was it.

Anyone got stats on goals from free kicks v non-free kicks? Reckon Benny is winning that by some margin.

Last year in the rolling AA thread I remember there being a lot of discussion between the big 4 key forwards in Brown, Riewoldt, Franklin, and Hawkins, in which someone put up the freekick stats. Brown had something like double the amount of frees compared to the others along with half the frees against, yet North fans seem to have this mindset that he is always getting hard done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back