Ben McKay - pivotal icing or rebuild player for a lucky Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben seems a terrific fella who is good with fans and especially kids. His record shows he is a more than decent contested mark and one on one defender against KPFs.

As a RFA he has attracted the interest of several Clubs which is understandable. In normal circumstances, we would say good luck to the young young bloke. Whether he goes or stays he would be well remunerated for his always honest labour.

Now I have to state an interest as my mob is reportedly one of the Clubs interested in his services. But I will put that aside.

IMO, he is not being well served by his current employer. His coach has made nod, nod, wink, wink comments on the poor bloke. It seems his Club is more interested in the Compensation available under current AFL Rules.

The Final Round results have given Ben three choices -

• Stay at his current Club on a lower wage. Would this be under sufferance of the Club and some of their fans?
  • Exercise his right to move to another mob on more $s and exercise his present Club’s compo pick?
  • Say stuff it, I’m not going to be treated as a piece of meat. I will enter the PSD, get decent remuneration from WCE, get out of the bubble and make a solid contribution to a fast rebuilding Club.

Personally I reckon he may choose the latter.

Ben seems a terrific fella who is good with fans and especially kids. His record shows he is a more than decent contested mark and one on one defender against KPFs.

As a RFA he has attracted the interest of several Clubs which is understandable. In normal circumstances, we would say good luck to the young young bloke. Whether he goes or stays he would be well remunerated for his always honest labour.

Now I have to state an interest as my mob is reportedly one of the Clubs interested in his services. But I will put that aside.

IMO, he is not being well served by his current employer. His coach has made nod, nod, wink, wink comments on the poor bloke. It seems his Club is more interested in the Compensation available under current AFL Rules.

• Stay at his current Club on a lower wage. Would this be under sufferance of the Club and some of their fans?
  • Exercise his right to move to another mob on more $s and exercise his present Club’s compo pick?
  • Say stuff it, I’m not going to be treated as a piece of meat. I will enter the PSD, get decent remuneration from WCE, get out of the bubble and make a solid contribution to a fast rebuilding Club.

He'll pick the RFA offer that is most appealing to him. Option 3 is no hope whatsoever.

LOL at the notion of him staying at North. If I were him, at 25, I'd GTFO out of Melbourne and go to Port or Sydney, even Geelong.

Well if I was an in-demand free agent at a terrible club, I’d be looking to head to a stable club where I might be a chance to have some success and become a better player.

So yes I’d be getting the hell out of North. Now before they all throw a tantrum, obviously no I wouldn’t be looking to go to Essendon, which is unstable. West Coast are in tatters, I’d be staying well away from there.

If Sydney or Port are genuinely interested then that’s where I’d be looking… both seem relatively good places to be.

Well if I was an in-demand free agent at a terrible club, I’d be looking to head to a stable club where I might be a chance to have some success and become a better player.

So yes I’d be getting the hell out of North. Now before they all throw a tantrum, obviously no I wouldn’t be looking to go to Essendon, which is unstable. West Coast are in tatters, I’d be staying well away from there.

If Sydney or Port are genuinely interested then that’s where I’d be looking… both seem relatively good places to be.

If he owns a house in melbourne or other similar ties, then I would suggest he stays in melbourne

I can't see him landing at port if he goes inter state. sydney would be more likely if he moves

Remember that time that player ditched all his intentions of moving to a specific club to go to the complete opposite side of the country, purely to spite his team? Nah, me neither. Not sure the Eagles are fast rebuilding either.

Well actually....

images (2).jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more than happy for him to stay.
We will be missing Logue until probably July 2024 and KPDs are hard to come by.

If he does leave the compensation will be much needed for our rebuild.

I'd prefer he stay but it looks like he is gone and has been for some time.

If the AFL gives North pick #2 as compensation, then fair enough, but if it is mid or post first round, then this will be a big loss.

An excellent KPD on his day, any team with serious flag aspirations would be wise to inquire about McKay's availability.

If North lose this guy and Logue is out for most of next year, it will be another long and painful season for fans.

What are the KPD stocks like in the draft this season?

If WC wanted him they could just put him through the normal RFA process months earlier and remove all doubt or options for him to change his mind.

If WC want him they need their heads examined with his and their injury records. He’d never get a chance to debut.

Well actually....

View attachment 1787836
Not quite the same. McKay has all the power as he is a free agent, but Clark was before free agency and needed a trade to be approved by Brisbane. They wouldn't trade him to his preferred club, so he settled on Melbourne and the Lions got a first round selection.

The equivalent would have been if Clark walked to the draft to GC or Port to ensure the Lions got nothing.

Remember that time that player ditched all his intentions of moving to a specific club to go to the complete opposite side of the country, purely to spite his team? Nah, me neither. Not sure the Eagles are fast rebuilding either.

I'm sure Paddy Ryder desperately wanted to move north to Queensland then somehow ended up at Port Adelaide.

Any side willing to offer 800k/season for an average KPD who has played 70 games in 8 seasons needs their books audited .....

Exactly. Im sure clubs want him as a 2nd tall defender. But the idea he is worth that kind of coin is insane. Anyone thinking he is the solution to any list problem has no clue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back