Prediction Changes v GCs

What hilarious changes will we make this week?

• Out: RO'B, In: Jacobs

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Out: CE-Y

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Out: Jenkins

Votes: 61 59.2%
  • Out: Kelly

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Out: Murphy

Votes: 71 68.9%
  • In: Stengle

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • In: Himmelberg

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • In: The FOG

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Out: Mackay

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • In: Gibbs

Votes: 66 64.1%
  • In: Wilson

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • In: Greenwood

Votes: 87 84.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't it glorious

Sadly yes. The club lives off the fact that they either have the Adelaide media bought, and if not, they're just not taken serious enough to matter. We need the Melbourne media panning us at this point. I really couldn't disagree with anything they said either.

Unfortunately it appears issues that have been highlighted, yet ignored, over the past 2-3 years really, have come home to roost.

I actually don't mind them giving Greenwood time. The trouble is there's just no consistency. We rushed Mackay back into this side after no preseason and have entrenched him in the side.

Gallucci is a great example of a player who has struggled at SANFL level, but stepped up at senior level. Some players can beat up on lesser opposition no worries, but struggle when they're actually playing against players as good as or better than them. Some players, struggle to dominate the lower grades for whatever reason, but when they have better players around them, their game naturally improves.
The Glenn Bishop effect. Was rubbish at Grade cricket , stepped up for State cricket

I actually don't mind them giving Greenwood time. The trouble is there's just no consistency. We rushed Mackay back into this side after no preseason and have entrenched him in the side.

Gallucci is a great example of a player who has struggled at SANFL level, but stepped up at senior level. Some players can beat up on lesser opposition no worries, but struggle when they're actually playing against players as good as or better than them. Some players, struggle to dominate the lower grades for whatever reason, but when they have better players around them, their game naturally improves.

100% correct.

Tom Doedee another example of a player going up 3 gears when played at a higher level.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem with Greenwood is they took too long, he carved it up on the weekend which showed he was ready except he was playing sanfl and we were smashed for contested ball and clearances and lost badly in the firsts.

We need urgency. Have to have season defining blow outs the next two weeks.

If we win this week and Brisbane and St.Kilda lose we are 1 game out of top 4.

I don't buy into it that Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, Betts, Talia are all cooked physically. It has to be mental. The ghosts of 2017 are still haunting us. We are timid, meek, scared and not enjoying the footy. We need some spark and flair.

Ins:

Greenwood, Gibbs, Stengle, Gooch

Outs:
Jones (inj.), CEY, Murphy, Kelly

Fwd Line:
Stengle,Jenkins, Betts
Knight, Walker, Pooch

Would tell Jerka to sit at FF with Stengle by his feet. Would tell Knight - he has a license to irritate. Kicks, goals - do not matter. Ruffle feathers and stay around Tex. We need to be physical.

Starting Midfield:
Rob, Crouch X 2, Greenwood, (Sloane, Milera) - Wings

Backline:
Gibbs, Talia, Laird
Smith, Keath, Atkins

Ensure that our back 6 always has 4 competent run and carry players and only two stagnant defenders.

INT: Lynch, Mackay, Poholke, Hartigan

Message - Take risks.

I don't buy into it that Walker, Jenkins, Lynch, Betts, Talia are all cooked physically. It has to be mental. The ghosts of 2017 are still haunting us. We are timid, meek, scared and not enjoying the footy. We need some spark and flair.

Ins:

Outs:

Fwd Line:
Stengle,Jenkins, Betts
Knight, Walker, Pooch

Would tell Jerka to sit at FF with Stengle by his feet. Would tell Knight - he has a license to irritate. Kicks, goals - do not matter. Ruffle feathers and stay around Tex. We need to be physical.

Starting Midfield:

Backline:
Gibbs, Talia, Laird
Smith, Keath, Atkins

Ensure that our back 6 always has 4 competent run and carry players and only two stagnant defenders.

Message - Take risks.
You had it all good until Knight.

He HAS to kick goals.... hes an attacking player. We can't continue to carry a bloke just because he played a half decent game on Joel Selwood that one time.

He's not a midfielder, he's a vanilla utility.

The problem with Greenwood is they took too long, he carved it up on the weekend which showed he was ready except he was playing sanfl and we were smashed for contested ball and clearances and lost badly in the firsts.
Totally agree. It was a stunning example of Pyke stupid no risk approach. Greenwood was an obvious selection mistake. Pyke will react once it’s too late and the season is gone because he has zero risk approach, the complete opposite to our one and only premiership coach. Blight took loads of risks, not all worked, but plenty did , and it created a level of unpredictability that made opposition teams think. Now teams can print off the template for beating us because they know that we won’t try anything different.

Ins:

Outs:

Fwd Line:
Stengle,Jenkins, Betts
Knight, Walker, Pooch

Starting Midfield:

Backline:
Gibbs, Talia, Laird
Smith, Keath, Atkins

Message - Take risks.

need to drop more senior players in either tex harto lynch betts JJ and play more unknowns to see what the list has or hasn't got

forget about wins and losses that's irrelevant

Being Eddie's 300th none of the senior players will be dropped.

Sauce and Gibbs probably recalled so the "Carlton Crew" can chair him off.

Jones and ROB out.

I am kinda joking. But now think this will happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SO many changes that COULD happen.

For me though the players at the top of the list to go, especially after Pikes comments re Gibbs dropping and also he looks visibly very frustrated so actually think he is in the frame of mind to make these calls, are..
- Jenkins, Hartigan, Murphy. Probably Kelly too but he could survive on weight of numbers and fear of destabilising too much.

Himmelberg for JJ. If Fog wasn't suspended id bring him in for Hartigan (if they are persisting with him in defence) but otherwise im happy to go a bit smaller back there and based on reports Scholl an option. Stengle in for Murphy.

If Jones is out as likely id have liked to see McHenry but I doubt he debuts on a week where he is being monitored for concussion so thats unfortunate.

Then we also need to get in Greenwood, Gooch and possibly Gibbs.
There are too many options to choose from for those who could be the additional outs.

So (brackets those who are less in the must category)
- "must" Out: Jenkins, Hartigan, Murphy (Kelly)
- "must" in: Himmelberg, Stengle, Greenwood, Gooch (Scholl, Gibbs)

Then whatever other changes around that to balance the numbers and team balance.

But he was absolutely s**t the week before. Perhaps he needed that run to build a bit of confidence prior to returning to the top. Greenwood wasn’t changing the weekends result.

Perhaps we should have brought him in, but I’m not getting my nickers in a knot over 1 week either way in round 4.

I will if he’s not brought back in this week.

The best players in the SANFL team will get attention they won't get in AFL so when they come in are able to play a bit more freely.

What a strange season this is

The 666 rule seems to have reduced scoring, not increased it

David Mackay is by far not our worst player

And Richmond - Richmond! - are being praised for their aggression and willingness to push the ball forward and attack the contest

Wake me up when it’s all over

I'm a big fan of Pyke and his footy brain, but I'm really starting to wonder just how much say he has in both tactics and selection. I just can't understand how someone who has been praised all throughout the industry for having an exceptional football IQ and understanding of the game and it's tactics, can sit there and just watch Hart ruin our whole forward half game plan.

I also can't understand how we can go up against a team that's full of great outside runners and ball users, and have the one dominant contested player in Cunnington, and on our side of the fence we've lost some outside run and go and bring in Poholke and CEY...... like honestly wtf. A 12 year old could see that was always going to be a disaster. Also having Hartigan and Keath as quick defensive options, but playing the slowest of the 3 in Talia on a very mobile Ben Brown was another tactical masterclass.

Our selections and our current game strategy, in my honest opinion, don't seem like Pyke at all, and I get the feeling he is a little bit of a push over (or at least he comes across it) despite the fact he may know better. You're the god damn HEAD coach Pyke, start taking control of this team because I think you're more than capable.

In saying that:
- We are obviously too tall down back. Either play Murphy down back (because he's sucking ass up forward) or play Gibbs in that quarterback role.
- If we are going to continue playing this long bomb game, then at least get another crafty and capable small forward at the feet of our talls, so stengle in.
- I like that we rewarded Poholke for the good form, but ever heard of this thing called team balance? He also only played 2 good SANFL games, let's just ease up a little, not like he's strung together a whole month of this form. You either bring in CEY (a tried and tested depth player) or you reward Poholke for his form (a young, untried potential AFL level player). I know which ONE I'd choose, not BOTH.
- The same goes for Mackay. Now I'm not making the poor bloke the scapegoat for our huge issues at all, my issue is he literally provides NOTHING to the team, both now and going forward. He doesn't rack it up, he doesn't pierce zones, he doesn't provide stacks of defensive pressure, if he's supposed to bring experience and a level head, he doesn't do that either. He is just the most ineffectual, nothing player and at 30, turning 31 this year, let's be honest guys he's never going to change. He has no strengths, I cant think of one reason why he's in the team! I can understand playing him when we have NO other options, but now we have Gooch, Stengle, McHenry and Sholl all as possible inclusions that we could be developing, rather than Mackay doing nothing, so for the love of God please, PLEASE stop wasting a spot in our side for no good reason.

Do we bring Gibbs back after just the one SANFL game? Doesn't send much of a message if we do imo, as badly as we do need him back. Touch call

Definites:
CEY, Mackay > Greenwood, Gooch.

Also Hartigan for Stengle and put Murhpy down back OR Hartigan out for Gibbs, and Jones out for Stengle (kid probably needs a rest and Stengle deserves a run). Poholke stays for another 1-2 games to see how he goes.

I like how we're too tall but still manage to get destroyed in the air each week.

Our talls and smalls are all accumulator types who probably look great at training under token pressure. We also looked great in both JLT games.

A players experience in playing underdone has to be taken into account. Greenwood has never had a strong fitness base and yet in the stats I showed how did he start his career? How was he last year?

I don’t really give a stuff about SANFL form, just like I don’t give a s**t how well Mackay performs on the training track.

What I care about is talent and what is best for the team. CEY has had his chances and is never going to be more than an average player. Greenwood offers so much more.

Guys like Galluci have shown more at the AFL level than SANFL.

We followed yours and the coaches philosophy and how well did that go on the weekend? In the meantime Greenwood showed he was fit enough. There’s no denying it, try defending it all you want, they got it wrong.

How many times do you get out and watch these players in the SANFL, Greenwood was not ready 2weeks ago he was not covering the ground, He slowed down of the ball.
Pick inform player but also a player who are ready, Greenwood only showed he was ready on SAT he did not do enough prior to that.
And being ready does not mean dominating the stats,
They selected 2 players who did cover the ground and found the ball and move with ease. the week before
As for some players perform better in the AFL than SANFL yes that obvious, But they still show signs of being ready the run on top of the ground, They are covering the ground, reading the game they are showing signs of being ready how are they running off the ball which to me is important. but most miss this. as you don't see that on the TV.

Gallucci this week, while not the best player he covered the ground, play smart, had aggression and he worked hard of the ball
Gibbs this week improved his defensive pressure and covered the ground. his aggression back, he worked hard off the ball
Greenwood this week showed that he ready not for being best, but the way he covered the ground, his off the ball work, aggression
McHenry showed he ready for a shot, show glimpses thru out the game. run speed, aggression and of the ball.
Scholl show he could be in for game sooner than later but I would Pick Hamill before him to replace Kelly he more defensive and moves the ball on quicker,
Himmelberg show this week he way off, cannot understand why some are calling for his inclusion.
Stengle show he can do it for a half and go missing.
Wilson maybe but I still feel he too slow on moving the ball, and when he speeds up his disposal is crap.
Fogarty was just starting to show some defensive pressure need a few more games to take it to the next level, he not getting the stats but he improving every week, still need to build his tank, and he playing the best position to build that tank.

Again, it not just picking the BOG's it picking the best player to come up.

Was Emergency last week but the week before against Glenelg he was good, I would swap him for Hartigan.
Our back three are too tall and lack mobility. I understand Keath playing Doedee's role out of necessity. But it aint working. Keath in isolation is playing well. But Harto is struggling.

Harto should be omitted for structure with Keath in his role. I reckon this is the exact reason Fog is being tried down back to slot into Doedee's role. By all reports not successfully.

The player I would try there is Scholl. Out of necessity.

Our backline and thus forward drive from HB really are a mess at the moment. Brown and Doedee being out are two big hits.

Laird is now having to play a more defensive role. Kelly is in the team and we have three talks down back.

I think it’s time for a change to structure.

In: greenwood gallucci stengle gibbs
Out: poholke, kelly, CEY, Jenkins

Switch Murphy down back and play stengle as a genuine small forward. ROB can ruck all day and Hartigan can fill in if needed. I actually like Jenkins but he’s giving us nothing at the moment.

Only wish Fogarty could replace him, but he’s been playing terribly at FB in the SANFL

Our back three are too tall and lack mobility. I understand Keath playing Doedee's role out of necessity. But it aint working. Keath in isolation is playing well. But Harto is struggling.

Harto should be omitted for structure with Keath in his role. I reckon this is the exact reason Fog is being tried down back to slot into Doedee's role. By all reports not successfully.

The player I would try there is Scholl. Out of necessity.

Our backline and thus forward drive from HB really are a mess at the moment. Brown and Doedee being out are two big hits.

Laird is now having to play a more defensive role. Kelly is in the team and we have three talks down back.

Is our back 3 too tall, remember in 2017 we Had Talia(197), Hartigan(194) and Lever(195)
This year we Have Talia Hartigan and Keith(197) I would rather play Talia, Otten(192) and Keath
Otten Plays taller but he read the play, he can play 1 on 1 but importantly he can attack. yes he lacks foot speed but he moves the ball on quicker than most and with no loss of efficiency, Yes he getting old, but Doedee back next year and the Player I believe will be better than Keith in Butts will have 1 more preseason.
Scholl is 186 he does not play tall like Doedee or even Kelly, He plays more Like Smith, Milera, Seedsman, and in some ways like Liard.
If you want to free up Liard then we wait for Brown or its Hamill, not Scholl, Hamill 1 on 1 is better he reads the play has the speed to play on the quick smalls and mediums, he also more attacking than Kelly.
Talia, Hartigan and Kelly are not attacking players and more suited to 1 on 1 and thats our problem all 3 are suited to play the deep defender.

Back