Footy career of a BF poster

Remove this Banner Ad

In lieu of an autograph, can you please post some other details that I can use to claim I met you - something like credit card details or such?
You're not allowed a credit card when you're bankrupt unfortunately

Juniors only. Skills and flashy apparently.

Hated it.

Not the kind of guy you would want with you in the trenches to be honest.

Thankfully went on to pursue other sports

Played forward for my local side from juniors until I was 20. Was quick off the mark, could take a grab and was a decent kick. Had no tank nor did I make any effort to improve said tank. Smoking a pack a day probably had a bit to do with it.

Played School footy. By school footy I mean I made up numbers for the year 7 side on the one day carnival.

Played three games and kicked 4 goals 2. Got dragged in my last game after I kicked two goals in a quarter and Rick Ladson replaced me on field.

Gave it away after that as it clashed with my flourishing badminton career. Clearly made the right choice ,

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A friend dragged me along to the U14s and I got put in the forward pocket because I had no idea what I was doing and couldn't do much damage from there. But I quickly fell in love with it, mainly because as a bigger, slower kid, I loved being allowed to actually tackle people as opposed to playing soccer. In about my 4th game, got moved to CHF in the last quarter in an effort by the coach to shame the normal CHF who thought he was awesome, but was a complete wuss. I kicked a couple of goals and held onto the position for the rest of the year.

Played on until a couple of years into uni. Got BOG in my first game in reserves, but got injured in the last 30 seconds and never made it back, so ended my illustrious career as a full-back in the 3rd grade of the SFA (a step down from the already pretty poor SFL).

I've now played about 200 games of AFL 9s though including kicking a goal on the SCG, if that counts for anything (it doesn't).

Tiny and skinny till mid teens but was manic in the clinches. Good at tackling, quick, found space well but was shaky around goals. Stopped playing due to a permanent injury.

Friends who were worse, went on to play Colts. Thing is, if I had kept playing into my mid teens, no guarantee I would have improved as much as they did.

190cm Defender. Played in junior Wafl system till about age 17 when my ceiling was probably reserves and a lack of passion. Couldnt kick well and made shithouse choices in the heat of the moment, Famous for winning contests, dashing forward, Into midfielders, getting the ball stripped and my opponent kicking an uncontested goal (I was Literally benched ala Bellchambers style halfway during a third quarter for the rest of the game once for doing it twice in a game, Coach clearly had enough)

Coaches love that sort of Hollywood style. If for some unknown reason I made it to the AFL i would of been a worse Jasper Pittard with a Douchier

Sadly I have nothing to write home about.

Was a good athlete with a booming right foot, around 187cm tall, was always made to play KP when my best position was ruck rover, seriously lacked courage in the air and didn't have the strength to wrestle, just wasn't my go, was a handy div 2 type, cricket was more my go but I never took it seriously.

Last edited:
Gave up sunday footy young to play rep basketball, sometimes i regret the decision many years later due to extremely sub standard coaching for that level, ended up a bit of a waste of time, especially the away games that were a long drive.

Before that was pretty good some games if i had some intensity. But i had a pretty placid nature so was average overall, probably an outside mid or frward/back pocket.
My 10 year old boy has the same dilemma, skipped footy last week to play country champs in Bendigo, the thing with basketball is it ain't bloody cheap at rep level with tournament fees/motels/and all the new gear they want after seeing other kids kits.

Gave up sunday footy young to play rep basketball, sometimes i regret the decision many years later due to extremely sub standard coaching for that level, ended up a bit of a waste of time, especially the away games that were a long drive.

Before that was pretty good some games if i had some intensity. But i had a pretty placid nature so was average overall, probably an outside mid or frward/back pocket.
Not sure how it is in Melbourne, my local Districts/Rep club for Basketball is fantastic. I Remember having a chat to my mum the other night and she said the basketball fee's where a lot cheaper then the AFL. I think it's because we were pretty closely affiliated to a church so that helped a lot. A lot of Footyclubs have fundraising and its a much bigger cultural thing in Australia then the Basketball

Also * trying to keep up with the basketball shoes trends. I remember dad circling the best catalogue shoes and going "Hey time to get some new basketball shoes!"which would be 40 bucks, I went looking on the internet last night and the prices are stuffed for a lot of ugly shoes which are just Nike cashing in on players names

(Log in to remove this ad.)

started off playing TAC Cup. i had pretty poor attributes. but the more games i played, specifically the more i met the objectives set by the coach for my game, the better my attributes got. played finals. went into the draft and got drafted.

found myself playing VFL, but like the TAC Cup the more i played and the more i met in game objectives, the more i could improve my attributes. eventually made the league side, played finals and won a flag. gave the game away at that stage. it got boring and repetitive. not for me.

found myself going back to old habits, more into grand theft auto now.

plus the graphics were better ;-)

Junior footy from 6-14 yrs old until I switched to other sports. Played sweeper and wing, anything to keep me out of the contest. Could read the play well (hence why I played sweeper) but had no interest in getting the pill myself, left that to others. Finished top 5 in B&Fs so I went ok, although kicking could be dodgy. Played in the early 2000s when we actually kept score at junior level, not like the s**t it is today.

Not sure how it is in Melbourne, my local Districts/Rep club for Basketball is fantastic. I Remember having a chat to my mum the other night and she said the basketball fee's where a lot cheaper then the AFL. I think it's because we were pretty closely affiliated to a church so that helped a lot. A lot of Footyclubs have fundraising and its a much bigger cultural thing in Australia then the Basketball

Also **** trying to keep up with the basketball shoes trends. I remember dad circling the best catalogue shoes and going "Hey time to get some new basketball shoes!"which would be 40 bucks, I went looking on the internet last night and the prices are stuffed for a lot of ugly shoes which are just Nike cashing in on players names
Yeh I was a WA teen playing for Wanneroo, it started ok but we lost a proper coach and was replaced with a players mum. Development went out the window after that.

Lack of quality coaching hasn't changed especially for the smaller towns, most of the kids can score but they can't play D for s**t.

The umpiring makes the AFL look competent.
Just as a side note, was talking with a couple of ex prof basketball players
There’s a real shift in developments for grass roots basketball and how it goes about building, Montmerency high school (greensborough) had one basketball court in the 90’s has received dough thru the council and now expanding to a 5 court indoor stadium.
Just for context...Brisbane does not have a five crt stadium.
Basketballs huge...just nobody has tapped into it or made it work and with the girls startin to look to play afl it’s startin to get competitive for attracting future consumers.

I played little league for Fitzroy at VFL park.
Kicked the entire score... 1.1
Cut the plaster of my leg after fracturing my ankle playing kick to kick at school goin for a grab to play in the u16 east burwood rams winning granny.
Kicked a snap from a tapdown in the fwd pocket
Then retired

Was an atrocious footballer. Played school footy at a big school that was known for having its share of draftees.

Was pretty fit when I was 14 so played a couple of games in the 2nds but couldn’t mark or kick. Was demoted and never sighted again.

Played a few house footy games with some pretty notable AFL players. Badly.

Highlights were:
  1. Soccering a goal from about 30cm from the goal line when everyone misread it.
  2. Finding out after a match I had kicked a goal when I had thrown it on the boot while being slung. Had thought someone else got it but apparently tumbled through from my kick.
  3. A ridiculous brawl with some Protestant kids in our backline after a barrage of anti Catholic slurs in a game where we won 20 goals to zip. Think boredom was a major factor in the fight starting.

Just as a side note, was talking with a couple of ex prof basketball players
There’s a real shift in developments for grass roots basketball and how it goes about building, Montmerency high school (greensborough) had one basketball court in the 90’s has received dough thru the council and now expanding to a 5 court indoor stadium.
Just for context...Brisbane does not have a five crt stadium.
Basketballs huge...just nobody has tapped into it or made it work and with the girls startin to look to play afl it’s startin to get competitive for attracting future consumers.

I played little league for Fitzroy at VFL park.
Kicked the entire score... 1.1
Cut the plaster of my leg after fracturing my ankle playing kick to kick at school goin for a grab to play in the u16 east burwood rams winning granny.
Kicked a snap from a tapdown in the fwd pocket
Then retired
The Bendigo Stadium is ******* awesome, around 10 courts (could be 12), bar=tab-restaurant and pokies couldn't believe it, they also have fixed cameras on most of the courts so you can watch the games online, as I said it's awesome!!

The highlight of my individual career was at Rangers but was never a chance of getting drafted. Played at Vermont and then Kyneton now both my knees are cooked so happily retired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back