2019 Debate #1: Scott Morrison vs Bill Shorten (7two/Seven)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people bleating about media can get a bit tiresome. We get the media we deserve - I think, broadly (with obvious exceptions such as Sky after dark and NewsCorp who cop financial losses to boost their owner's interests) the media reflects us, rather than dictates to us.

Where it's mind-numbing, or racist, or shitting on welfare recipients or Indigenous people or women, it's because that's what bogan middle Australia wants.

Disagree. Go to English-speaking countries Murdoch and co aren't interested in - Canada, New Zealand, Ireland - and media isn't as bad as here. Blaming bogans is a cop out. Bogans aren't making the decisions.

Half an hour of talking about Labor’s policies, it’s a good thing for seven that one party has policies or that debate would’ve lasted 3 mins.

Even still it would have been good if it lasted another half hour. Bubble boy was getting shouty towards the end, another 15 mins and he might have gone the full Barnaby.

To be fair scomo said his sides great policies haven’t changed..apart form the ones which are ‘too hard’ and have been quietly abandoned of course.
If the policies were so great, why change the PM twice?

If you were in an organisation and those two were managers, Shorten would be the boring on you go to ask to sort out a problem, cos often he’ll be able to help.

No one would ask Morrison because they probably already had once and he convinced them they didn’t have a problem. But there are posters all round the place saying what a great guy Morrison is
He’s so eighties

In fact Shorten had a zinger when he said ‘Australians doing it tough don’t appreciate being preached to about how well they are doing’ or something like that

Last edited:
No winners from that, only who lost less. Bill at least came across as a real person, Scott just emphasised that he's an arsehole and a liar.
I went into this with a pre conceived opinion of Morrison being a, smarmy and arrogant prick and he made it even worse with his constant shouting, blatant lies and constant interruptions and shouting over the “moderators”

That's about what I expected. All of the applause went for Shorten. It was very clear that he won this one.
But....but...but Lebbo said he lost !....

Morrison's going to pay down debt -- not by raising tax-- but rather by lowering tax on the wealthy? Is he brain damaged?

Did he produce the Laffer Curve too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the bet that Scomo is sitting the makeup room, cap on backwards with headphones listening to Eye of the Tiger.
Didn't know Any Grant covered Survivor

It's a bit rich (bdbmm-chhhhh) when Morrison says he's delivering a strong economy when growth has screeched to a halt, inflation is zero, and wages have barely budged in five years.

That's all the LNP can offer as a vision. Pretending that the economy is strong while it profits the most well-off Australians and leaves the majority of Australians behind. American trickle-down garbage. Stick it up your backside Morrison.

And here he is checking out Scott Morrison's arse.

4000.jpg

A few preliminary points:

1. Labor nearly always "wins" these debates. I'm pretty sure the worm etc. LOVED Latham back in 2004 too, for example, and Kim B in 2001. Labor has the neatest little cliches to appeal to the bogans
2. From the clip shown on ABC News tonight, one of the audience members said they thought Shorten won and "that's who I was always going to vote for anyway". So, if ReachTel and Seven are claiming this was an entire audience of undecideds....
3. The audience members shown on ABC News seemed to be slobs and weirdos - of course Labor voters are home at 5pm in the afternoon.
4. Morrison KILLED Shorten on the voting 78 times against border security - totally killing forever Shortens nonsense Banking Royal Commission line.
5. Morrison KILLED Shorten on misleading about the % of pensioners affected by his franking credit changes.

IF there was a positive for Shorten where he killed Morrison then the ABC couldn't find one. Which we all know it would have been busting to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back