2019 Debate #1: Scott Morrison vs Bill Shorten (7two/Seven)

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Bill got reamed? He’s hopeless off the cuff.
He struggles to refute someone who tells bald faced lies and deals otherwise in half truths.

Libs wanting to argue people have planned their retirement based on franking credits yet also muddying waters by suggesting it impacts the few idiots who have been poorly advised to 1) set up SMSFs despite being eligible for pensions; and 2) do that after a policy announcement that would impact them; seems to be a little bit outrageous to me. If the rich bastards are arguing it hurts the poor bastards more than them you better believe it’s a good policy

I didn’t se a clear winner based on that alone

The big question is the benefit of the Palmer deal to LNP against the disadvantages. Palmer going Barnaby doesn’t help

And he’s paying his debts now is he? Such a kind rich turd

Didn't watch the debate, I have better things to do than that kind of puerile rubbish hosted by Basil on Channel 7, but the news replayed a clip of ScoMo disparaging Labor for negotiating with Clive Palmer for preferences. No evidence for that, Shorten obviously called it rubbish.

But didn't the Libs just work out a preference deal with Clive? Am I missing something here?

He struggles to refute someone who tells bald faced lies and deals otherwise in half truths.

Libs wanting to argue people have planned their retirement based on franking credits yet also muddying waters by suggesting it impacts the few idiots who have been poorly advised to 1) set up SMSFs despite being eligible for pensions; and 2) do that after a policy announcement that would impact them; seems to be a little bit outrageous to me. If the rich bastards are arguing it hurts the poor bastards more than them you better believe it’s a good policy
Tax payers aren't adversely affected by the proposed change in franking credits. It's those who are gifted money but don't pay tax. We're the only country in the world that offers that largesse. The billions saved will go to hospitals, education el al. It's a ******* disgrace the way the media are permitting the lying Scummo to get away with this deceit.

Didn't watch the debate, I have better things to do than that kind of puerile rubbish hosted by Basil on Channel 7, but the news replayed a clip of ScoMo disparaging Labor for negotiating with Clive Palmer for preferences. No evidence for that, Shorten obviously called it rubbish.

But didn't the Libs just work out a preference deal with Clive? Am I missing something here?

Playing to the rusted on? Like saying climate deficit.

Tax payers aren't adversely affected by the proposed change in franking credits. It's those who are gifted money but don't pay tax. We're the only country in the world that offers that largesse. The billions saved will go to hospitals, education el al. It's a ******* disgrace the way the media are permitting the lying Scummo to get away with this deceit.
As a tax advisor I agree - have had clients who are stunned that we have these rules. Labor should use Morrison’s deliberate obfuscation around pensioners with SMSFs to springboard into a discussion re the banking royal commission - if there are people out there putting people with a wealth/income that qualifies for a pension into an SMSF that is shocking advice (particularly after labor clearly announced their policy), and that’s why they had a royal commission that he voted against x times etc etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugh...

I think people bleating about media can get a bit tiresome. We get the media we deserve - I think, broadly (with obvious exceptions such as Sky after dark and NewsCorp who cop financial losses to boost their owner's interests) the media reflects us, rather than dictates to us.

Where it's mind-numbing, or racist, or shitting on welfare recipients or Indigenous people or women, it's because that's what bogan middle Australia wants.

Then I watch this debate and it makes me question all of that. Yeah, Shorten copped a beating tonight - but it was because, apart from the climate change question (which was conveniently not followed up with asking Morrison what his climate change policy was - the one that "hasn't changed"), this debate was fought entirely on the LNP's ground. It was set up entirely to feed into the LNP's fear mongering around ALP policies that won't even effect the vast, vast majority of 7two's meagre ******* audience.

It's 2019, the ALP have already sold out refugees - why the * did we spend so long on asylum seekers? Purely to give Morrison the chance to swing his dick around.

I guess I can take solace in the fact that swinging voters, or unengaged voters, certainly weren't tuning into a debate on 7TWO, 3 weeks out from the election, that no one ******* knew was on. At the end of the day, Shorten only lost in front of the political junkies who already know who they're voting for.

Trump approach

As a tax advisor I agree - have had clients who are stunned that we have these rules. Labor should use Morrison’s deliberate obfuscation around pensioners with SMSFs to springboard into a discussion re the banking royal commission - if there are people out there putting people with a wealth/income that qualifies for a pension into an SMSF that is shocking advice (particularly after labor clearly announced their policy), and that’s why they had a royal commission that he voted against x times etc etc etc

I personally was disappointed the NEG debacle wasn’t discussed more.

Half an hour of talking about Labor’s policies, it’s a good thing for seven that one party has policies or that debate would’ve lasted 3 mins.

Even still it would have been good if it lasted another half hour. Bubble boy was getting shouty towards the end, another 15 mins and he might have gone the full Barnaby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back