Preview RD7 Carlton v North Melbourne Sunday 5th May 1.10PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know where you're going with this but
I'm not going anywhere. That is the whole point of my post. The is a moment in time, that will never been seen again in our lifetime as Carlton supporters. So treasure the day as a moment in time to capture and be present, regardless of the result.

fearing the spoon... big big game
I’m still confident we can avoid the spoon FTR ... but I do understand your nagging fear - with just one win to our name, and with the Pies up next, followed by GWS away the week after, today would certainly be a good time for us to secure our second win.

They definitely look slow on paper. Omitting Hall doesn't appear to be the best move on their part, but clearly they know something we don't.

If the game is congested and slow, North win. We need free flowing ball movement to get them on the outside. Much like the first half against Hawthorn.

If there's a game we need Murphy to step up, it's this one. He's been serviceable this season, but he needs to find another gear if we've got any chance of winning this game.

It does seem an odd call Eif - Hall’s had more tackles than anyone on their list, and they’re currently second last across the league in that particular area. Many on the North board are furious with his omission, and with their club’s selection policy more broadly. Most seem to think that a few players (including Aaron Hall) are being scapegoated for widespread deficiencies across their team, and (to paraphrase) that Brad Scott is basically adhering to what I like to call the CARE principle - that is, “Cover Arse to Retain Employment” - by opting to run with mature age plodders who might (or might not ...) be able to get the job done today, rather than investing in young players, who might be able to get the job done better tomorrow. Actually, the overall tone on the North board is toxic, with many saying that a win against us will do nothing to alter their mood ... could be an interesting place to drop by and visit should we get the win today.

Oh, and btw, I completely agree with your call for Murph needing to step up for this one. In an earlier post in this thread, I tried to make that case statistically, so here I’ll limit myself to repeating that going at 54.5% efficiency, when roughly 90% of your possessions are uncontested, is simply not good enough for a player of Murph’s seniority and calibre, and unfortunately that’s what he served up against the Hawks. Hopefully we’ll see a strong response today to that lacklustre effort.

Last edited:

I'm excited to see Williamson almost moreso than I am Stocker.

In fact, not almost, I am.

If those 2 step up it will make a huge difference
I’m still confident we can avoid the spoon FTR ... but I do understand your nagging fear - with just one win to our name, and with the Pies up next, followed by GWS away the week after, today would certainly be a good time for us to secure our second win.

each match SHOULD be an independent event. I dont see us beating either GWS or the Pies but stranger things have happened. We certainly will be more motivated than either the pies or GWS , who may take us a little easy based on our win loss. I feel that it is 50:50 versus North. their form isnt as bad as it seems but neither is ours.

Each match SHOULD be an independent event. I dont see us beating either GWS or the Pies but stranger things have happened. We certainly will be more motivated than either the pies or GWS , who may take us a little easy based on our win loss. I feel that it is 50:50 versus North. their form isnt as bad as it seems but neither is ours.

Especially this season RN, with major upsets occurring week on week.

One of the things I’m enjoying the most this season is our consistent competitiveness - I don’t go into every game expecting us to win, but I do go in with an expectation that we won’t allow ourselves to be blown away. After Round 6, I mentioned in the “Positives” thread that our biggest losing margin for the season (33 points against the Tiges in Round 1) was smaller than the biggest losing margin of 10 out of the remaining 17 teams, and this figure has actually jumped to 12 out of 17 teams in the wake of the Port and the Saints losses this round. Although it’s a big ask over the two games following North (vs the Pies and GWS), it would be great if we can keep this record intact for as long as possible ... or maybe even improve it further, by beating a complacent Pies by 34 points or more in Round 8 ;)

Last edited:
i hesitate to say this but it must be said. their 5 losses have been to
1 The resurgent dockers (currently 5th)
2 the Lions who have been playing very good footy when "on"
3 The hawks
4 the Bombers - the current form team
5 port who have been playing very good football

They havent played the top 3 Cats, Magpies and Giants yet but take those teams out and they have beaten the next best 5 teams going around at the moment.
Their form line is not as bad as their current ladder position suggests
But they haven’t beaten them either.

Is that North team one of the slowest teams you've seen on paper? Or is it just me.

Slow through the midfield, certainly. An area of the ground we should look to exploit on the spread.

Atley and Williams are pretty quick coming out of defence and need to be minded, or we can just let them turn the ball over lol. Turner can move in the forward line, there's just not much else.

Slow through the midfield, certainly. An area of the ground we should look to exploit on the spread.

Atley and Williams are pretty quick coming out of defence and need to be minded, or we can just let them turn the ball over lol. Turner can move in the forward line, there's just not much else.

This is certainly true, but I am struggling to work out how Carlton could exploit it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They definitely look slow on paper. Omitting Hall doesn't appear to be the best move on their part, but clearly they know something we don't.

If the game is congested and slow, North win. We need free flowing ball movement to get them on the outside. Much like the first half against Hawthorn.

If there's a game we need Murphy to step up, it's this one. He's been serviceable this season, but he needs to find another gear if we've got any chance of winning this game.
I’d love to be wrong re Murph but that gear you speak of is getting harder and harder for him to find as he isn’t getting any younger.

There will be times he turns back the clock and plays a good game but he’s the supporting act to the young brigade now. I’d love to see his GPS numbers this year as he looks to have trimmed down a bit.

Cripps, SPS and Dow is our best centre square set up in terms of grunt, burst and clean break clearances. Hope they shark a fair bit of Goldenbergweinstiens taps. Very good tap ruckman is Goldy so I’d say to Flip and Cas to bash and crash him at every chance.

So excited for Lock Stock and Wiry Willo.

Hope Charlie plays a blinder for his little big brothers 150th.

2019 is a very different beast for me as I believe we are a chance every week to win or at least show signs of a dominant period during the game sans blowouts. 2018 I had no such thoughts.

Hoping for the W today. WOOOOOOP WOOOOOOOP UP THE BAGGERS!

This is certainly true, but I am struggling to work out how Carlton could exploit it.

We are an elite clearance, contested possession and contested mark team, with or without Kreuzer. That is key to our method of winning. Win it from the contest and move it quickly through the middle to our main targets.

We lose the midfield battle and it won't be pretty, essentially how modern football works these days. The young guys lose their composure and dare on the big stage and we lose too.

Lots to watch for today.

We are an elite clearance, contested possession and contested mark team, with or without Kreuzer. That is key to our method of winning. Win it from the contest and move it quickly through the middle to our main targets.

We lose the midfield battle and it won't be pretty, essentially how modern football works these days. The young guys lose their composure and dare on the big stage and we lose too.

Lots to watch for today.

I am just countering the "speed" factor. Your backline in particular looks very slow with Simpson & Newman missing.

Cripps will of course be influential, but the loss of Kruezer is going to bite hard and Goldstein has been in very good form.

I am just countering the "speed" factor. Your backline in particular looks very slow with Simpson & Newman missing.

Cripps will of course be influential, but the loss of Kruezer is going to bite hard and Goldstein has been in very good form.

Simpson and Newman are both quite slow, particularly Newman. Their replacements, Williamson and Stocker, are quicker and carry the ball more, but obviously much younger.

Losing Kreuzer really hurts, but we still win the clearances without him most weeks this year, just not as easily.

It will be interesting.

Not dissing Carlton, as I acknowledge their improvement, just think the ability to cover a few blokes is not quite there yet.

Basic logic tells me North should win (and the bookies agree), but I'd actually prefer a loss to speed up the regime change we require at the club.

It will be interesting.

Not dissing Carlton, as I acknowledge their improvement, just think the ability to cover a few blokes is not quite there yet.

Basic logic tells me North should win (and the bookies agree), but I'd actually prefer a loss to speed up the regime change we require at the club.
What’s the story with LDU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back