Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Every team has had a shocker this year bar Geelong,today was our turn.
Indeed, 5 other teams have endured bigger losses this year, including *, the Dees, and the Lions, and just last week the reigning premiers lost by the same margin that we did this afternoon. While there’s no disguising that today was a terrible performance and awful result, imo it’s worth keeping in mind that last season we endured 7 defeats of more than 10 goals, and 3 of those were 100+ point losses. Despite today, with almost a third of the regular season gone, we’re still tracking for much better this year, although admittedly there is a risk that things have the potential to deteriorate significantly over the next couple of rounds, with us facing the Pies and GWS away. Despite our injuries, imo we simply have to muster a meaningful reaction next week, but I trust that we’re capable of doing so, especially seeing that we’ll be playing the Pies at the ‘G, where I trust us far more than at Marvel (notwithstanding our result against the Dogs in Round 5).

Double down. Shocking performance across the board. Coaches down. Walsh can hold his head up. Tell me honestly who else can.
fish, cripps, jsos, jones, weits...........got nothing.........

What are they going to say... "Sorry everyone we flamingoed up". And to be perfectly honest, North were going to come good eventually. I just would have preferred it to be next week!
Yep. Don’t deflect, don’t talk about north, talk about the lack effort, talk about the inability to execute basic skills like kicking it off your foot and not your shin, like don’t kick off one step with your weight falling behind you. And what about run , overlap, shepherding, head over the ball like 18 year old Walsh did all day....talk about that Bolton! Talk about your instruction to Murphy to play outside, explain your thinking and how that helps the youngsters and sets an example......lots to ******* talk about but I don’t need to hear how fabulous the bottom placed Kangaroos were.

Just a reminder to all those kicking experts on bigfooty that used Casboult as an example of how you can fix an unnatural kicking action when discussing Dow’s kicking......I rest my case

I’m sorry. but I was at the game today and kicking is easy if you have a short ball drop. casboult drops it from his armpits. I love the kid but every time I see his ball drop I cringe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh, and presumably Jones won't come up. Can we pick Macreadie, or is it too soon? VFL watchers? Or are we going to have to go with someone like Goddard?
I'm honestly fearful for next week with our list of outs. I would have been fearful as well without our list of outs.
If we're looking at bringing in another key defender, it may be Goddard. He actually did a good job on Reid in the NB's a few weeks back, so that may work in his favour.
They may elect not to bring in a key defender though given that the Woods forward line is more mobile than tall.

35 more contest possessions. 103 more handballs. Bigger bodies won it around thr contest and then just linked up and ran all over us. This game looked like a drill. We were wearing the bibs. North are a brut side, not overly flashy but just crack in and thats how this game was going to be won. We trade out our first rounder which says we back ourselves this year, but we play Fisher, Dow, Walsh, Stocker, O'Brien, SPS (to a degree) who are still well undersized and were always going to lose the ruck battle. This game was lost at the selection table for mine. Unless im missing something Kennedy was needed today. Or Setterfield (whos still young but bigger than the rest). It was too early for Stocker and that game does him no good he needs to come in when there is more balance. Way to undersized and literally men amongst boys except for our captain who continues to battle alone. Look at Jed Anderson. Just a no nonsense enforcer that chops in. Ziebell. Cunnington. The kids just got mauled and once again we have a coach (just like Malthouse) saying its ok we have Kreuzer coming back and hes like a ruck rover. You cant rely upon Kreuzer every week! Check the history books and see how many games hes missed. Look at the opposition team, choose the team accordingly and get the balance right or play a brand of footy that isnt playing to their strengths. Drop Dow and let him dominate the 2s and build his body (and decision making) before coming back in. For his sake and the teams sake cas its just killing us. That was a debarkle across the board.

I’m sorry. but I was at the game today and kicking is easy if you have a short ball drop. casboult drops it from his armpits. I love the kid but every time I see his ball drop I cringe.

he's nearly 30.......

Tale of the tape this week. 5 players over 100 games vs 9 players under 100 games. I guess the more experienced team won. And listening to the broadcast, you'd think that North had just as many inexperienced players on the ground as we did! What a joke.

Over 100 games yes. But what you also miss is 50 years in age... we were beaten up today. Simple as that. Too young and brad/Chris Scott played it perfectly. Intimidate intimidate intimidate and the umps let it happen. Don’t get me wrong I know today our effort was sub par and they kicked goals when we kicked points in the first half. But men playing against boys is easy if you you are allowed to play dirty. They beat us up and it’s simple as that.

What’s embarrassing is that a huge chunk of our supporters have become soooo accustomed to losing that they will try and dismiss today’s game as just one of simply being way too young.

A team doesn’t require age or experience to have intent or effort in a game!!!

We didn’t just lose a game because the other team had more experienced players who stood up in critical moments, we got comprehensively thrashed by the bottom team because our players didn’t put in the effort to run from contest to contest!

People can excuse losing contested possession or even skill errors due to smaller bodies and less experience, but how on earth can anyone gloss over the fact that North players continuously outnumbered us all over the ground???

Look, we’re constantly told that we are in a rebuild and to be patient, but why with basically an entire new playing list are we still committing the same lack of effort that got Ratten sacked back in the day?

Why as a club are we always one of the worst tackling sides in the comp even with different playing lists over the years?

Why are our skills always an issue no matter how many times we turn over the list and stack it with top draft picks?

Why is our club so susceptible to switching off mentally no matter who the coach or play in lost?

Basically, yes we are young and experienced but we continue to suffer from the very same problems that have plagued our club for decades under different coaches and different playing lists.
Why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s embarrassing is that a huge chunk of our supporters have become soooo accustomed to losing that they will try and dismiss today’s game as just one of simply being way too young.

A team doesn’t require age or experience to have intent or effort in a game!!!

We didn’t just lose a game because the other team had more experienced players who stood up in critical moments, we got comprehensively thrashed by the bottom team because our players didn’t put in the effort to run from contest to contest!

People can excuse losing contested possession or even skill errors due to smaller bodies and less experience, but how on earth can anyone gloss over the fact that North players continuously outnumbered us all over the ground???

Look, we’re constantly told that we are in a rebuild and to be patient, but why with basically an entire new playing list are we still committing the same lack of effort that got Ratten sacked back in the day?

Why as a club are we always one of the worst tackling sides in the comp even with different playing lists over the years?

Why are our skills always an issue no matter how many times we turn over the list and stack it with top draft picks?

Why is our club so susceptible to switching off mentally no matter who the coach or play in lost?

Basically, yes we are young and experienced but we continue to suffer from the very same problems that have plagued our club for decades under different coaches and different playing lists.
Why?

Young, lack of continuity, lack of cohesion

But not sure what the issues were with more mature, seasoned, experienced sides that have been spanked by 10 goals or more this year

Nobody makes excuses. Some give reasons. World of difference.
What I see is that we are all hurting. Some get angry. Some look for signs.
If you want a sign look at the reserves. Its there.
I can put up with today knowing that they arent rushing players into the seniors anymore.
Williamson, Lang Kennedy..etc....getting fit and hardened.
Thats the stuff thats happening while you look at the scoreboard today and ignore the why of it.
we need to look at all aspects of performances like this but holding our average age responsible (not you b & b) is silly as blaming a creek for not being a river

Actually a lot more pressure was and still is on Scott. I bet he would love a list of talent like we have got.
But it really shows how the media operate doesn't it. They have to have a target every week. They do their spin then one win and it all changes. Kinda makes them irelevant and stupidly sensational for its own sake.
Just responding to Alphonse post re beginning of the end for Bolton. That's how the beginning of the end starts it get's worse and worse. God I hope we can turn it around quick.

It’s old news but his problem is more than ball drop, and if you can’t kick it properly with your natural action it can’t be fixed.

I go to the footy and I always take away something from the game, even the losses, even the bad losses. Today nothing. Just nothing to take away. It's a numb feeling. It's like 2 hours of my life just happened. I never felt engaged in the contest.

Im reminded of a game at Etihad maybe mid 2000s?, against Hawthorn. We had won 3 in a row and given our supporters some real hope. They smashed us by 98 if im right. Might have been a record crowd for Etihad that day.

It's the Carlton way it would seem. Give the supporters a glimmer of hope that things are starting to turn, and then bang Snap it away.

It hurts.....
99 - without Buddy.......

After taking the loss in gotta say I think Fisher, Silvagni, Walsh and Weitering can hold their heads high. Cripps in the second half battled hard.

Outs: Casboult (never again, just play Kerr instead), LOB, Phillips (if Kreuzer is ready), Jones (injury), Dow (time for a spell, give Kennedy a go)

Ins: Setterfield, McGovern, Kreuzer (if fit), Macreadie (for Jones), Kennedy

I'd nearly consider Gibbons out for Fasolo. We desperately need a small forward and Gibbons isn't the answer (we may as well have kept Graham on the list).

Plowman very lucky we have so many injured. He has become a liability this year.

Who we talking about, Dow or Levi?
It was put to me that Casboult’s kicking is fixed so Dows can be fixed too. I argue that you can’t fix a naturally flawed kicking action.
I was just pointing to casboult ‘s kicking today as more evidence that it can’t be fixed regardless of the odd day when you kick it ok.

How anyone could be at the ground and come away from that thinking the coaching was anything other than abysmal, I will never know. Boggles the mind.
tell us your match winning moves.........

Young, lack of continuity, lack of cohesion

But not sure what the issues were with more mature, seasoned, experienced sides that have been spanked by 10 goals or more this year

And that explains the lack of intent or effort to run?

Back