Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad news him. But he signed a similar long-term big dollar deal as Franklin where the AFL went to the Swans board for a guarantee it would remain in the cap regardless of what happened. Surely it is the same for the Bulldogs? I hope one of the footy journos at least asks AFL house for clarification.
Applies to Free Agents not trades, bad luck buddy.

Sad news him. But he signed a similar long-term big dollar deal as Franklin where the AFL went to the Swans board for a guarantee it would remain in the cap regardless of what happened. Surely it is the same for the Bulldogs? I hope one of the footy journos at least asks AFL house for clarification.
Assuming he was a free agent, I'm pretty sure the unpaid portion of his salary is included in the Dog's TPP calculations for the remainder of his contract term, regardless of whether or not he has the money is going into his pocket. It can be apportioned by the Dogs as they see fit over that period. Not sure about trades though - which was Boyd ?

This is to make sure that long term Godfather deals, like Buddy's, can not be reneged on by either party.

An honourable move to do this so early in a career, and not bleed his club dry. All the best to him.
Cant see why it would be different to Buddy. ( unless it was a trade )

Interesting that he chose to retire rather than taking a few months off to get help then try come back?
He's been in the VFL for the past 3 weeks or so. Missed all the pre-season with a back injury. I think he's no longer enjoying playing footy with his back injury and mental health issues and for those reasons decided to leave the game all together.

Regardless of what happened in the past I'll always thank Boyd for what he did for the club. He performed on the biggest stage and delivered a flag that had been so out of reach for so long. With that flag being a key contributor to wiping out our debt.

He'll always be a Dogs legend and really should have won the Norm Smith. Hopefully every Dogs supporter buys him a beer whenever they see him and tell him what a legend he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming he was a free agent, I'm pretty sure the unpaid portion of his salary is included in the Dog's TPP calculations for the remainder of his contract term, regardless of whether or not he has the money is going into his pocket. It can be apportioned by the Dogs as they see fit over that period. Not sure about trades though - which was Boyd ?

This is to make sure that long term Godfather deals, like Buddy's, can not be reneged on by either party.

An honourable move to do this so early in a career, and not bleed his club dry. All the best to him.
Cant see why it would be different to Buddy. ( unless it was a trade )
He wasn't a FA, it was a trade. The club website article has a line about his 2019, 2020 & 2021 contract.

Tough gig, AFL football nowadays. Can't just play on Saturday and be a plumber the rest of the week anymore.

Its relentless and every tom dick and harry potts you on big footy if you have a bad game or if they saw you at the pub having a quiet beer when you are injured or whatever.

Its like the criticism that kyrgios and tomic cop when they say that they find tennis not that interesting - its a job and not the fun activity that you do to escape the job.

I wish him well. I hope he goes and plays again somewhere and doesnt end up hating footy.

I dont get it. On the radio they're saying that its due to mental health issues. Has anxiety due to all the weight of expectation and he struggles to cope with social media bullies. How can any reasonable person believe this?

Weight of expectation? No one put a gun to his head and asked him to go to the bulldogs for 1mill a season. Having done that hes actually fulfilled the ******* expectation already by winning the dogs a damn flag!!!! Ask any dog if he was worth it? * yes! Hes done what he was paid to do. Jesus Christ. For 99% of public out there is no more bloody expectation.

And this social media bs that all these wimps keep crying about, you have a damn choice to look or not to. Players from decades ago pre internet dealt with way worse abuse. It was in person, at the grounds and to their faces. There was no avoiding it. These days no one is allowed to say these things in public. The ones that say it online, current players can just switch off social media. Presto. ******* no issue. If you want to be on social media set it to ******* private. The problem with modern players is they want to see what everyone is saying about them. Love the ego boost. So theyll go looking, reading articles comments on everything and suddenly theyre surprised, angry and hurt to find negative stuff? Pls mate. No ******* sympathy here. Log off nitwit.

I wish he just came straight out and said. That's it, im done, achieved what i wanted. Not motivated anymore. Giving up the last years of the contract because i cannot fulfil my end. Ive made enough from the club and now im looking for new challenges. Not this mental health stuff. Because its crap.

Anyway i want to congratulate Tom on a short but pretty damn good career. You didnt let the fans down, achieved the ultimate prize and more than fulfilled any expectation. Good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back