Is Flyin' Ryan's mark tonight, the best you've seen since Moorcroft and Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Howe on QB17 and Heeney (who might still be my frontrunner this season) in R21 last year elicited the biggest post-Walker reactions from me. Fwiw Ryan, also in R21 last year, was nominated for MOTY when he took a hanger over Nathan Vardy, knee to the head and all that.

It was a better mark live than on replay, because of the context of the game and you could see him running in from the side.

I could hear him a couple of times when the boundry throwins were in front of me despite it being the loudest night at optus this season, and the guy on Yeo was pretty bad to.A little kid right up near the fence looked at his dad after about twelve consecutive obsenities from Gawn and the kids dad just said he is not a nice boy.

Dees have been lippy and faux tough since Goodwin joined the club. I guess he's trying to instill some toughness and grit into the team and it takes no skill to be hard to your opponent. I don't like it myself (which is funny cause I was once that lippy Rickman myself)

Back to Ryan, excellent mark but by no means the best. Certain Melbourne high flyer from yesteryear is the best ive seen. Shaun Smith was a freak. Moorcroft's still impresses me. As does Royce Hart's but I'm biased on that one.

Edit: just picked up that thread title asks if best SINCE... off the top of my head probably not but too early to remember what may be ahead.

Last edited:
Cracker of a mark. I knew it was game over when he took it. As a pure mark, it’s level with Crozier and behind a few others since Moorecroft.

It was good to see Vardy make an appearance as well after he was served both his own, and Hickey’s arse, on a plate all night.

Good mark, but it was all set up for him with Gawn helping propel him up.

The aftermath makes the mark look more spectacular than it actually was

An outstanding play to run as hard as he did to even get there, then take a great mark over a ruckman at an important stage of the game. If there were such a thing, it would be my "play of the year" so far. Brilliant.

But as far as pure marking goes, there have been many marks since Moorcroft that were clearly more spectacular than last night's effort. That's no slight, it's just reality.

Lots of indigenous boys playing great footy ATM. Shane Edwards and Sydney Stack are probably both in the top 5 of Richmond's B&F. Tim Kelly could be leading the Brownlow. Tippa is going well at the Bombers. Petrevski-Seton is coming along nicely at Carlton.

The depth of talent seems to be as good as ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the commentary didn't do the mark justice.

I thought BT did quite well - he read the play excellently and saw what Ryan was doing before he did it.

Re. Vardy/Willie - Didn’t look great but if you watch some of the best marks so far this season, there is always a bit of chat from the opposition to the bloke who got step laddered - a quick word, a push etc. it’s not uncommon and never has been. Bit of back and forth in the heat of battle.

I thought BT did quite well - he read the play excellently and saw what Ryan was doing before he did it.

Re. Vardy/Willie - Didn’t look great but if you watch some of the best marks so far this season, there is always a bit of chat from the opposition to the bloke who got step laddered - a quick word, a push etc. it’s not uncommon and never has been. Bit of back and forth in the heat of battle.
Not When the dudes on the ground in pain however. Love Rioli but it's a s**t move by both of them.

Could not have been that great as I turned the coverage off straight after as lost interest due to the umpire making me certain this game was already decided. Even a decent mark could not make me put up with any more of it.
Good mark all the same but nothing special. Ryan himself will take better ones than that.

Not sure why Walker's is mentioned?

Wasn't even the best mark of that season.
Mate I'm an Essendon fan and even I can acknowledge that it was the best mark of the season.

It was a fantastic mark, my early contender for MOTY (overtaking Crozier)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back