Is Flyin' Ryan's mark tonight, the best you've seen since Moorcroft and Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

As the above states, this mark legitimately got me up out of my seat...and I was on the couch at home. I've watched it over 20 times, and it just gets better every time. No mark will ever beat Moorcroft's IMO, but Walker's comes close.

Absolutely incredible display of jumping power and athleticism. What do you guys think? Did it grab you like it has me?
He didnt get that high. Would be disapointing if this is the best of the season to be honest.

He didnt get that high. Would be disapointing if this is the best of the season to be honest.

Gotta disagree. Gawn is a lot taller than most, 208 CM (6'10) to be exact. Was close to a 6 foot pure leap, when accounting for the 30 CM difference between shoulders and the top of the head. Ryan is 179 CM himself (5'10), meaning that he pretty much leapt the entire height of his body, from a a grounded starting point. That's no easy feat. Not to mention the fact that he falls a long way, and the ball doesn't spill out.

It's a matter of perspective anyway, and it's just my opinion/gauging other's opinions, to see whether they agree. I've seen a lot of good marks over the years, but not many have elicited a reaction like that from me, where I genuinely sprung off the couch in sheer amazement

Gotta disagree. Gawn is a lot taller than most, 208 CM (6'10) to be exact. Was close to a 6 foot pure leap, when accounting for the 30 CM difference between shoulders and the top of the head. That's no easy feat. Not to mention the fact that he falls a long way, and the ball doesn't spill out.

It's a matter of perspective anyway, and it's just my opinion/gauging other's opinions, to see whether they agree. I've seen a lot of good marks over the years, but not many have elicited a reaction like that from me, where I genuinely sprung off the couch in sheer amazement

yeah agreed, people say he didn't go very high or whatever but height isn't everything in a mark. When i compare this to Sampi in 04 i much prefer liam ryans mark it's just an absolute belter

Great mark but I'm not even convinced that it will be mark of the year let alone the best since moorcroft. Although it is on Gawn so that perhaps is why it doesnt seem as great to me as others make it out to be, because Gawn is so tall.

Great mark but I'm not even convinced that it will be mark of the year let alone the best since moorcroft. Although it is on Gawn so that perhaps is why it doesnt seem as great to me as others make it out to be, because Gawn is so tall.

I heard about it Saturday morning as the best mark yada yada, so looked at it on the AFL website and thought, yeah pretty good but nothing you don't see a couple of times a year. Not sure if it was the angle the camera was or the fact I wasn't watching it live and WCE were coming back hard. Bit over hyped to be honest.

Mine was when the game was virtually done and Josh Kennedy was attacking Viney’s injured shoulder. All class.
You blokes are pathetic, you love it when faux tough guys like Viney and Harmes are shoving people into the ground after tackling them but turn into little rose petals when it comes back the other way.

Didn’t realise Ryan’s knee was located in his foot.
Well let’s break it down. And I’ll preface by saying it was an amazing mark and will be hard to beat for MOTY.

So the incorrect notion that Gawn only got a bit of a knee to the back (shoulder blades) is being used to justifiy Vardy shoving Gawn while he was down. Even if it was only minor contact this in isolation is beyond low from Eagles fans.

Now let’s look at the contact. So while Ryan’s boot was collecting Gawn in the head from the side as per the freeze frame I posted... you’re saying he was simultaneously kneeing him in the back?

“The spit then pauses, in mid air mind you, before making a left turn and landing on Newman’s left thigh”

So my question to you is, was there a second knee-er?

D11E7BB7-02CD-408B-8FD0-F14233F39AE0.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go get your eyes checked.
Gawn is facing sideways, not forwards.

Gee funny how that knee can be in front of his face from behind isnt it?

View attachment 677385

That's a cracking photo of the mark and makes it look better IMO

Gawn is pretty much upright there and Ryan has his hips up at shoulder height - so some 6ft in the air.

That's a monster leap

However to be an alltimer - you need the second "boost"

Agree with an earlier poster - Sampi's still the high watermark for WC supporters.

Lets be honest you dont trash someone after theyve just been kneed in the face.
And West Coast fans of all people would cry bloody murder if it happened to one of their precious snowflakes.

Doesnt mean it wasnt an outstanding mark.

Was giving a fair bit of lip on field. Has been known to be lippy all the time anyway.

Gawns in the Danger and Ablett Jnr category, any contact and they play it up big time.

Well let’s break it down. And I’ll preface by saying it was an amazing mark and will be hard to beat for MOTY.

So the incorrect notion that Gawn only got a bit of a knee to the back (shoulder blades) is being used to justifiy Vardy shoving Gawn while he was down. Even if it was only minor contact this in isolation is beyond low from Eagles fans.

Now let’s look at the contact. So while Ryan’s boot was collecting Gawn in the head from the side as per the freeze frame I posted... you’re saying he was simultaneously kneeing him in the back?

“The spit then pauses, in mid air mind you, before making a left turn and landing on Newman’s left thigh”

So my question to you is, was there a second knee-er?

View attachment 677562
Huh? I was responding to the other guy who stated Gawn got kneed in the face, which he didnt't. No idea why you decided to add your 2c. Thanks for posting that photo as proof I was correct.

Great mark, call my Biased but Heeneys from 2018 was better

Would agree with you.
However, there's something about taking a specky at the top of the goal square on the back of the tallest opposition player in order to put your team ahead deep in the last (taking nothing away from the context of Heeney's mark).

Huh? I was responding to the other guy who stated Gawn got kneed in the face, which he didnt't. No idea why you decided to add your 2c. Thanks for posting that photo as proof I was correct.
Added my 2c the same way you did with the other poster. He was saying Gawn didn’t go down for no reason, in response to the pathetic notion that Vardy was somehow justified pushing him while he was down as it was only minor contact. Kick to the head, so much better than a knee.

Added my 2c the same way you did with the other poster. He was saying Gawn didn’t go down for no reason, in response to the pathetic notion that Vardy was somehow justified pushing him while he was down as it was only minor contact. Kick to the head, so much better than a knee.
Knees to the head occur in nearly every speccie, which is why it was funny watching that poster get upset about it.

So you think it was a low dog act akin to what Rance has done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back