Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong because I was 15 & 18 when we won our last flags so the memory could be a bit off, but I remember North being very relevant during that time. Media darlings, Friday nights, Carey dominating. We’re never going to have massive member numbers but hardly irrelevant.

Carey and McKernan were relevant because they were megastars - not North Melbourne. I can well remember the media writing us off during 1997, saying we’d drop out of finals contention. We all remember the “No Carey, No North” jibes, don’t we? On the other hand “No Ablett, No Geelong” was never a thing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carey and McKernan were relevant because they were megastars - not North Melbourne. I can well remember the media writing us off during 1997, saying we’d drop out of finals contention. We all remember the “No Carey, No North” jibes, don’t we? On the other hand “No Ablett, No Geelong” was never a thing.

On the other hand again geelong achieved nothing with ablett. So they were really just "no geelong".

On the other hand again geelong achieved nothing with ablett. So they were really just "no geelong".
All of us North folk agree with that. However, not so for the rest of the footy world... and that’s the whole point. However, WE DON’T CARE, WE ARE NORTH MELBOURNE!

I think it is more development issues than recruitment, although our picking 1st round sliders hasn't been a roaring success, we tend to get a look at a number of players who have shown something significant and other clubs have been interested in only for them to go nowhere with their careers and for everyone else to loose interest after we took too long with their development.

We've also had every AA player go like complete dogshit the following year and thereafter, it seems to be something individual that drives someone to success, not our development process and we can't have our players sustain good quality footy.

Agree that it is more a development issue - however our recruitment goes beyond the players we have picked with the picks we’ve had available imho. Our inability to actively move up draft order, put ourselves in positions to get more access to higher quality young talent via the draft has been very frustrating throughout brads tenure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back