Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t Sheahan a Melbourne supporter? I would have thought they are just as irrelevant.

He is, they are, but Mike has been pushing this agenda for years, way back to when he hosted talking footy. Despite being a bumbling old fool this is not new from him.

Would suggest Mike is irrelevant.

LOVED how Mark Jackson ripped him a new one on 'Open Mike' - LOVED it.

Would have thought it would take more than some media talking about us to make us relevant. Like winning for example.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah the point they were making is that no one cares if we’re going well or losing. We don’t sell papers. We are the most disappointing side this year and no one is talking about it.

MS definitely has a soft spot for North. He isn't wrong.

He got 95% of what he said spot on. Questioned what’s going on off field, loved it. But I hate being labeled with the irrelevant tag. It’s rubbish. They don’t even say that about Gold Coast or GWS, what about Sydney? No one gives a s**t about them when they’re not winning.

Nothing Mike Sheahan said was incorrect.

We are irrelevant, we haven't gone anywhere in 10 years with the culture of this club, its been strictly financial the entire way just to make ends meet and stay in Melbourne, which is fine.

But along that way we've lost the opportunity to gain new members, chase premierships and raise interest in the footy landscape, which are all important long term factors for remaining a club.

For alot of focus thats been put into one area, charity, local PR, AFL brown nosing and financial stability, every other aspect of the club has been left to just stew in its absolute mediocrity.

To be fair, the comparison was just with Carlton. And also to be honest, most of us have found it a bit frustrating that each awful North loss this year has concided with a big club being hopeless and attracting all the media attention.

Interesting that Sheahan has come out with this the week that - despite Carlton's weekend - voices are growing in the the media saying that Scott should be and is actually now under pressure and even (Tom Browne so who knows) likely to be elsewhere for next season. Are they running as a pack based on the sniff of a real story? or just because they are generally lazy and that's how they operate?

If the media are starting to comment I reckon something is brewing.

I doubt we are considered worth the air time just to bring this up to start conversation. If we were we’d have been copping it since Rd 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Scott needs a fresh start just as much as we do. And I wouldn't be surprised if he benefits from such fresh start. At least he could go in with a personal commitment to a more balanced approach to selection / promotion / demotion because he won't fall into the trap of becoming infatuated with a handful of favourites at his new club, realising that has been problematic at this club. He might also be humbled enough by the experience to be less autocratic in a new role, which can only have benefits (Dimma is Exhibit 1), and be willing to cede some game-day tactical responsibility to people who are good at the tactical stuff.

LOL. Apparently he is a Good Coach. The AFL Industry are full of Dildoes if that is the Line of Thinking. :stern look

I am perfectly happy with the rest of the AFL to think that way as long as it doesn't spook the stable geniuses on our board to give Braddles another extension.

A couple of things about the way media is covering North:

- There's a general consensus amongst them that the list isn't very good (not saying that's right or wrong, it's just what it is at the moment)
- There's a belief (higher up than the journos) that North doesn't drive clicks to the same level as any other Victorian club

Put the two together and that's why other clubs always get the microscope before North where possible.

The only way that changes is if there's a scent of something big happening, i.e. coach sacking, or a truly terrible on-field loss - 100+ point territory.

(I'm aware that raises plenty of questions on how everything operates, but unfortunately that's the way it goes nowadays)

Nothing Mike Sheahan said was incorrect.

We are irrelevant, we haven't gone anywhere in 10 years with the culture of this club, its been strictly financial the entire way just to make ends meet and stay in Melbourne, which is fine.

But along that way we've lost the opportunity to gain new members, chase premierships and raise interest in the footy landscape, which are all important long term factors for remaining a club.

For alot of focus thats been put into one area, charity, local PR, AFL brown nosing and financial stability, every other aspect of the club has been left to just stew in its absolute mediocrity.

Hardly true about not trying to gain new members, given the great work of the Huddle.

Currently I'm fine with journos whacking the club, BUT if they are going to whack us, go after our recruiting & developing - our list management deserves to be hyper-criticized.

I think it is more development issues than recruitment, although our picking 1st round sliders hasn't been a roaring success, we tend to get a look at a number of players who have shown something significant and other clubs have been interested in only for them to go nowhere with their careers and for everyone else to lose interest after we took too long with their development.

We've also had every AA player go like complete dogshit the following year and thereafter, it seems to be something individual that drives someone to success, not our development process and we can't have our players sustain good quality footy.

Last edited:
Also mentioned north has been in front the least of all teams at 30%.
Won only 12 quarters of football.
I’m also glad he bought the sledgehammer but pissed me off saying no ones cares .dont like that mr Sheehan.

You don’t say. Did he happen to mention that we’re second last as well? Mike Sheehan must be a scientist...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bring the heat journos
Big footy 2 months ahead of u
We are irrelevant cos we playing an old team
Play the kids and give us hope and interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back