Strategy Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just having a joke, I'm not exactly a Masten hater but I'm not a Masten lover either.
I think he's got some serious weaknesses to his game which are very frustrating to watch but I do acknowledge that he's being asked to play a role and seems to be playing it well enough and he's obviously contributed to club over his career. Could someone else play this role who has less of these weaknesses in his game? Maybe Duggan (although he has his own issues), probably not anyone in the WAFL at the moment which speaks to our poor midfield depth. The other question I have though is have we missed him since he's been out? I'm not sure we have.
All good. I like your posts normally.
I really think that Smith will evolve into this role. He is a better player than a lot of people give him credit for.
People forget he was regularly picking up 30+ possessions a week with the Magpies before he got injured and missed most of the next season.
He was only moved on so the Woods could secure Beams.
He was noted as the best runner at Collingwood in his short stint there. He is a good field kick and moves through traffic with ease.
Maybe a permanent 22 by seasons end.

Interesting that Hutch is on the extended bench. Only been named there one other time this year. 90% I’m reading too much into it and he doesn’t really deserve the boot.. but.. if he doesn’t have a job on someone he’s a bit of a liability. Could we go Ah Chee for Hutch..? When Redden went 100% on ball we saw his best. Replacing Hutch with Ah Chee gives us someone a little more dynamic in that wing/hff role.

Need to keep developing that tagger role and turn it into a bit of a two way role.. if we don’t need the tag, that guy is just as lethal back the other way. I think we have enough firepower to nearly go head to head with other midfields and send someone like Reddo to tag if we’re desperate. That’s the sort of thing I’d imagined if we managed to grab Kelly. Yeo/Redden locking down guys for parts of games if required.

Different opinions are fine. Repeatedly bleating the same ones, wishing injuries on Eagles’ players you don’t like, derailing thread after thread with the same opinion no matter how irrelevant to the topic at hand, that’s the issue here.

Different opinions are often the reason this site is any good. Turning every thread into a mud slinging match over who likes a player you don’t, or arguing about what we’ll do in free agency next season in a round three changes thread is very different to that.

Apparently not.

Look I dont want to detail the thread but if someone is doing all that s**t isn't it more beneficial to simply report and let the mods decide instead of the usual ganging up and bullying someone.

If he's a troll you're just feeding it right?

And geez, I've seen some more "respected" individuals in here bleat on about the same thing over and over and derail threads and turn threads into mud slinging matches and you all applaud them because they agree with you.

One of those lovely gentlemen just deactivated his account over a stupid mudslinging bet iirc.

Anywho...carry on the tar and feathering

All good. I like your posts normally.
I really think that Smith will evolve into this role. He is a better player than a lot of people give him credit for.
People forget he was regularly picking up 30+ possessions a week with the Magpies before he got injured and missed most of the next season.
He was only moved on so the Woods could secure Beams.
He was noted as the best runner at Collingwood in his short stint there. He is a good field kick and moves through traffic with ease.
Maybe a permanent 22 by seasons end.
Be interesting to see what happens, I really wish some of our younger midfielders/quasi midfielders had come on a bit more so we have some options.

Interesting that Hutch is on the extended bench. Only been named there one other time this year. 90% I’m reading too much into it and he doesn’t really deserve the boot.. but.. if he doesn’t have a job on someone he’s a bit of a liability. Could we go Ah Chee for Hutch..? When Redden went 100% on ball we saw his best. Replacing Hutch with Ah Chee gives us someone a little more dynamic in that wing/hff role.

Need to keep developing that tagger role and turn it into a bit of a two way role.. if we don’t need the tag, that guy is just as lethal back the other way. I think we have enough firepower to nearly go head to head with other midfields and send someone like Reddo to tag if we’re desperate. That’s the sort of thing I’d imagined if we managed to grab Kelly. Yeo/Redden locking down guys for parts of games if required.
No real job for Hutch this week unless they want to stop Macrae.
second half last week showed the need for our best staring 4 at center bounces.
About grooming another tagger, they could look at Cole who was recruited as a mid and Venables who is fast, tough, great kick and probably needs to be led to the ball.

No real job for Hutch this week unless they want to stop Macrae.
second half last week showed the need for our best staring 4 at center bounces.
About grooming another tagger, they could look at Cole who was recruited as a mid and Venables who is fast, tough, great kick and probably needs to be led to the ball.

Don't respect Bont or Hunter?

Both, including Macrae are worthy of a tag. Be surprised Simpson chooses this week to make a structural midfield change and leave our tagger out.

Should've done that vs Saints or Suns if anything.

Be interesting to see what happens, I really wish some of our younger midfielders/quasi midfielders had come on a bit more so we have some options.
I have theory, not backed by any facts or news.
I believe that WCE went deeper into the draft last year by way of pick swaps because they believed that they were well catered for. We can see there is a line up for midfield places at present.
Ist Tier: Smith, Ainsworth, AhChee, Masten , "Brander", Murtimer, Rioli. ( all could run in current midfield if a spot came up)
2nd Tier: Foley. O'Neill, Brayshaw, Cole, Venables (plus Kelly or 2 reasonable draft picks)
A couple from the tier 1 list may be cleared at seasons end and a couple from Tier 2 will be moved up and you never know a trade or 2 might just fall into our laps.
I think we have a very balanced list and I believe in the current recruiting group.
Look at the bulldogs who we play this week. they have a dozen good midfielders with many playing out of position and hardly a tall in site.
Collingwood would win 5 cups in a row if they had our forwards and backs.
The same could be said for Melbourne.

Don't respect Bont or Hunter?

Both, including Macrae are worthy of a tag. Be surprised Simpson chooses this week to make a structural midfield change and leave our tagger out.

Should've done that vs Saints or Suns if anything.
Agree. We didn't need Hutch against Suns , Saints and Adelaide with Matt Couch out.
I feel that Hutch only matches up for Macrae but is not the man for Bont or Hunter.
I imagine that Yeo will go head to head on Bont and can match up on him when he goes forward.
Feel we need our best starting midfielders in center square bouncedowns this week.

I have theory, not backed by any facts or news.
I believe that WCE went deeper into the draft last year by way of pick swaps because they believed that they were well catered for. We can see there is a line up for midfield places at present.
Ist Tier: Smith, Ainsworth, AhChee, Masten , "Brander", Murtimer, Rioli. ( all could run in current midfield if a spot came up)
2nd Tier: Foley. O'Neill, Brayshaw, Cole, Venables (plus Kelly or 2 reasonable draft picks)
A couple from the tier 1 list may be cleared at seasons end and a couple from Tier 2 will be moved up and you never know a trade or 2 might just fall into our laps.
I think we have a very balanced list and I believe in the current recruiting group.
Look at the bulldogs who we play this week. they have a dozen good midfielders with many playing out of position and hardly a tall in site.
Collingwood would win 5 cups in a row if they had our forwards and backs.
The same could be said for Melbourne.
Apart from Rioli none of those guys look to me like being decent midfielders. A couple of the younger ones could still work out but I reckon there's a fair chance 4, maybe even 5 of those 1st tier guys are off the list within 2 seasons.
I still think we're short on quality young midfielders. Just my opinion but my prediction is we're going to end up trading to build a competitive midfield again in a few years.

Apart from Rioli none of those guys look to me like being decent midfielders. A couple of the younger ones could still work out but I reckon there's a fair chance 4, maybe even 5 of those 1st tier guys are off the list within 2 seasons.
I still think we're short on quality young midfielders. Just my opinion but my prediction is we're going to end up trading to build a competitive midfield again in a few years.
I can see why you might be concerned but We have real quality with Shuey, Yeo Redden, Gaff and Sheed for few more years.
The recruiting people can't be oblivious to this . I believe that the plan was to have Willie doing some serious minutes through the middle along with Cripps but preseason injuries derailed that and with Venables also. Don't discount Cole either as he has all the attributes of an inside mid, tough and skilled.
I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
I am going to the next 2 games of the Beagles again just to have a peek at 2020.

I can see why you might be concerned but We have real quality with Shuey, Yeo Redden, Gaff and Sheed for few more years.
The recruiting people can't be oblivious to this . I believe that the plan was to have Willie doing some serious minutes through the middle along with Cripps but preseason injuries derailed that and with Venables also. Don't discount Cole either as he has all the attributes of an inside mid, tough and skilled.
I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
I am going to the next 2 games of the Beagles again just to have a peek at 2020.
I went to the game on Saturday, most of the midfield bar Grey and O'Neill was a bit average imo. It's not an immediate concern this season but Shuey and Redden will be 30 next year and we've seen how quickly our players tend to fall off after that. Our inability to draft and develop midfielders recently is a concern. Despite many attempts how many players have we drafted since Dom Sheed nearly 6 years ago that have worked out so far as actual decent midfielders, even at WAFL level? I count a grand total of 0, pending this years rookies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final team for the Western Bulldogs game might ultimately depend on who flies with the Doggies.
Looking at the Interchange list, it's feasible that they could go with an all attacking tall forward line including Schache, Billy Gowers, Tory Dickson, Ryan Gardner and Aaron Naughton. Add to that the possibility of Matthew Suckling, Sam Lloyd and the Bont and you have a substantial list of forwards.
Gowers won their goalkicking last season and we all know the elite kicking skills of Suckling, Dickson and Lloyd. So a bit to think about there.

The bulldogs also have a very strong list of midfielders, adding Rhylee West to the already listed speedster in Lipinski plus , Mclean, Hunter, Libba, Bailey Smith, Dunkley , Macrae and Bont when needed.

If they go defensive they may move Naughton back to reduce the influence of Kennedy and Darling. While Naughton has been use forward with some success I believe that he has the ability to become one of the all time great, key position defenders.
Witihout Naughton their defense is not overly tall with Easton Wood, Williams, Johannisen , Young and Smith only medium size defenders.
Their most inform defender in Caleb Daniel is more like a chihuahua than a bulldog but he is still rated Number 2 in the league for kicks out of the defensive 50 this season. He continually sends his 30 meter bullet like passes to Dunkley, Macrae and the Bont and sends them into attack.
Maybe Cripps role as a defensive forward will have more meaning this week.
I personally I don't rate Johannisen or Hunter for their ball movement as they tend to under run or over run the ball going forward and end in no mans land with very few score assists.
Possibly their best small to medium defenders are all out Crozier, Richards and 2 times premiership player Duryea.

The other big out is Wallace. It''s amazing the amount of time he has kicked their 1st goal this season.

How we structure up this week I believe will depend very much on who the Bulldogs travel with.

WCE ins this week could easily be Jetta, Josh Smith and AHChee, replacing Nelson, Waterman and Hutchings.

It becomes an arguement when people just say Oscar Allen wont be dropped
Waterman wont be dropped
Masten wont be dropped.

Because thats nonsense. Theirs no educated opinion behind saying that except a feeling toward that player.

We can get AhChee to get 20 plus disposals off Half Fwd/Wing/Mid and kick a snag or 2. That beats Masten, Waterman and Venables Hes my choice for now. But think Cameron is the go fwd in that role.
The only reason that MC keep pushing Venable and Waterman is the defensive mindset. If AhChee develope more defensive game, he will be a shoo-in.

The final team for the Western Bulldogs game might ultimately depend on who flies with the Doggies.
Looking at the Interchange list, it's feasible that they could go with an all attacking tall forward line including Schache, Billy Gowers, Tory Dickson, Ryan Gardner and Aaron Naughton. Add to that the possibility of Matthew Suckling, Sam Lloyd and the Bont and you have a substantial list of forwards.
Gowers won their goalkicking last season and we all know the elite kicking skills of Suckling, Dickson and Lloyd. So a bit to think about there.

The bulldogs also have a very strong list of midfielders, adding Rhylee West to the already listed speedster in Lipinski plus , Mclean, Hunter, Libba, Bailey Smith, Dunkley , Macrae and Bont when needed.

If they go defensive they may move Naughton back to reduce the influence of Kennedy and Darling. While Naughton has been use forward with some success I believe that he has the ability to become one of the all time great, key position defenders.
Witihout Naughton their defense is not overly tall with Easton Wood, Williams, Johannisen , Young and Smith only medium size defenders.
Their most inform defender in Caleb Daniel is more like a chihuahua than a bulldog but he is still rated Number 2 in the league for kicks out of the defensive 50 this season. He continually sends his 30 meter bullet like passes to Dunkley, Macrae and the Bont and sends them into attack.
Maybe Cripps role as a defensive forward will have more meaning this week.
I personally I don't rate Johannisen or Hunter for their ball movement as they tend to under run or over run the ball going forward and end in no mans land with very few score assists.
Possibly their best small to medium defenders are all out Crozier, Richards and 2 times premiership player Duryea.

The other big out is Wallace. It''s amazing the amount of time he has kicked their 1st goal this season.

How we structure up this week I believe will depend very much on who the Bulldogs travel with.

WCE ins this week could easily be Jetta, Josh Smith and AHChee, replacing Nelson, Waterman and Hutchings.

Thats a very reactive view as opposed to backing our system and structure.

Interesting they may go tall in attack as its the smaller forward lines I get worried about.

Bit of smoke and mirrors this week by the Dogs. We shouldn't underestimate them.

Weather for Sunday?

Last edited:
Thats a very reactive view as opposed to backing our system and structure.

Interesting they may go tall in atrack as kits the smaller forward lines I get worried about.

Bit of smoke and mirrors this week by the Dogs. We shouldn't underestimate them.

Weather for Sunday?
Sunday : Sunny and 23
Yes they are playing Ducks and drakes and I think our MC is aware of it and has a contingency plan.

Cripps named on a wing and Sheed at HFF?
Cripps been playing like Lecra for the past 2 game (more mid time) was deadly late in the last quarter vs Crow when playing more forward. Sheed been playing mostly in Mid-FWhalf in the past 2 game which release Gaff to Mid-HB role (Masten), plus he has a nag for a goal or 2. Sheed in that role because low-defense pressure. You only see him in the back-half at stoppages. Thank god the MC stop play Gaff in the gut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back