Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was prepared to give bevo the benefit of the doubt after 2017, then 2018 with injuries. 2019 atm is looking to be an even worse season.
however we cant ignore all the bad of-field stuff that's happened under his watch. far too much issues imo.

a lot of players have either regressed or remained stagnant under him. the on-field issues still remain (lack of forward pressure, 5th season and still no cohesive forward line, no trust in tall players, unbalanced teams).

i cant think of too many "good" coaches who miss out on playing finals for 3/4 seasons and turn it around.
id love for him to turn it around, i hope the club tries to help him out first (new assistants, director of coaching, etc) before the thought of sacking him.

Interesting call regarding the regressed players.
I don’t see many that aren’t better players now than what they were in 2014. That’s including the players traded in Suckers, Crozier. And then you have Biggs and Hamling who he turned from oppo fringe players to premiership players.

Who’s in your list of players that haven’t become better since 2014 ?

St Kilda is in a higher position on the ladder than us after 10 rounds.

What's more of a concern to me anyway is it seems they have a more settled game plan/style and more cohesion accompanied with players establishing how to play their position and a better understanding of what their position entails.

Don't think Bev's time is up but I do believe his time is up if there is no change in assistant coaches and also getting Bev someone that holds him accountable.

He is not going to want nor like that.

He would rather just say...... Ive had a blast - there is a 4 foot swell at bells - see ya.
He is forthright and stubborn in his opinions - so you would argue people who stand up to him may well cause more instability around the place.

Worked for buckley and dimma I know - And Bevo may change like they both did personally- I just dont see it.

He is not going to want nor like that.

He would rather just say...... Ive had a blast - there is a 4 foot swell at bells - see ya.
He is forthright and stubborn in his opinions - so you would argue people who stand up to him may well cause more instability around the place.

Worked for buckley and dimma I know - And Bevo may change like they both did personally- I just dont see it.

The difference between Bevo and Buckley/Dimma is that Bevo is a better coach. The other two needed better assistants on board to get their teams anywhere. They simply didn’t have the skill set.

i was prepared to give bevo the benefit of the doubt after 2017, then 2018 with injuries. 2019 atm is looking to be an even worse season.
however we cant ignore all the bad of-field stuff that's happened under his watch. far too much issues imo.

a lot of players have either regressed or remained stagnant under him. the on-field issues still remain (lack of forward pressure, 5th season and still no cohesive forward line, no trust in tall players, unbalanced teams).

i cant think of too many "good" coaches who miss out on playing finals for 3/4 seasons and turn it around.
id love for him to turn it around, i hope the club tries to help him out first (new assistants, director of coaching, etc) before the thought of sacking him.

Honestly just curious, how do you feel we are worse this year than last? We have been in every game late at some point, meaning competitive and don't let other teams have it easy all game. Last year we were getting smashed by 10 goals each week. We are scoring more points this year than last, where we would kick 30-50 points some games. Only thing worse is defensively, but that comes down to turnovers and lack of a genuine key tall.

I'd take 2019 in a heartbeat after that ugly BS we pulled last year minus the last 4-5 games.

The players seem too comfortable out there. We're boring and predicatble.

You know what the players are going to do before they get the ball. Hunter will do a little dance before floating in a ball. Naughton will get double teamed and search up the wings. Caleb will kick the ball barely 15m after slowing up play and darting his head like a lizard catching flies. Macrae will gather the ball and kick a low pass that gets chopped off. The Bont will kick a brilliant low spearing ball that the opposition can't defend (that's the good part.) Suckling will either do something fantastic with his left boot or else bite off more than he can chew and look foolish. Toby ducks out then into tackles.

It's like the players are characters in a play. Only the very worst get dropped to the twos and often work their way back. Our list is stale, our style is stale.

I love Bev and would be very sad if he left but I'm becoming less invested in this season. I'll keep going to games and I know we'll have some great wins. And we'll get better. But this team might be too comfortable with itself to win anything under Bev.

Honestly just curious, how do you feel we are worse this year than last? We have been in every game late at some point, meaning competitive and don't let other teams have it easy all game. Last year we were getting smashed by 10 goals each week. We are scoring more points this year than last, where we would kick 30-50 points some games. Only thing worse is defensively, but that comes down to turnovers and lack of a genuine key tall.

I'd take 2019 in a heartbeat after that ugly BS we pulled last year minus the last 4-5 games.

we have a pretty fit list for starters minus boyd and picken
so injuries & in game injuries cant never be used as an excuse. thats prob one reasons we are in games more than last year.

-we still haven't got an established forward line.
- many players are still played in multiple positions
- defending has been an issue
- why are a lot of our talls still played in the VFL despite this year is a development year. still have no faith in talls
- i dont know which players have improved from last year. maybe crozier.
- still no forward pressure , worst team
- too many 1 way runners, lazy team.
and worst 1st qtr team

we have a pretty fit list for starters minus boyd and picken
so injuries & in game injuries cant never be used as an excuse. thats prob one reasons we are in games more than last year.

-we still haven't got an established forward line.
- many players are still played in multiple positions
- defending has been an issue
- why are a lot of our talls still played in the VFL despite this year is a development year. still have no faith in talls
- i dont know which players have improved from last year. maybe crozier.
- still no forward pressure , worst team
- too many 1 way runners, lazy team.
and worst 1st qtr team
What players have our list managers recruited to fix the issues listed above?

What players have our list Managers recruited to replace those of quality who have left?

Our list is currently worse than it was in 2014. The only critisism I have of Bev is I cannot see what we are trying to develop. The game style and structure appears very ad hoc.

Making the finals this year or even next does not define Bev's coaching ability. It is developing a structure and game style that stacks up in big games. We desperately need to balance up all aspects of our list.

I don't beleive his contract needs to be extended yet but if it is I will not be cracking it.

I just hope he has articulated what he is working towards to the decision makers and they ensure all aspects of the football department are working forward on the same page

So say maybe Bevo needs a more challenging senior assistant to refine/justify some of his selections/tactics...

Who would fit that role?
- Montgomery - not likely :eek:
- Bolton might be available, but he doesn't strike me as the challenging type, might be wrong though
- Brad Scott!? Lol
- Teague
- Sanderson
- M Boyd
- Lappin
- Tudor
- Voss
- Caracella
- Ratten

I said it back in 2017 when our form started to dip and I think it's still relevant now. Bevo has too many ideas and just tries all of them all the time. How we can look so so good against Richmond a few weeks back and then look nothing like that team just weeks later is beyond me. The idea that he needs better assistants around him is a good one but it's hard to make a case for a coach which looks like missing finals for 3 straight years after winning the flag.

The only major issue I can think of regarding Bev is the revolving number of KPP’s we play in the side. And even then a lot of the blame imo should be attributed to the list management.

In the off-season we lost, Adams, Collins, Roughead, Redpath and Campbell. Sweet was the only added KPP/ruck. Making it worse was the Boyd injury/retirement.

Personally I’d play a minimum of 5 KPPs/ruck regardless of whose in form but I can understand why we went with 4 and sometimes 3 KPPs when at stages only 3 have been fit and AFL quality.

List management has more to do than anything with having such an unbalanced list that has handy capped Bev.

My problems with Bev are several but I still think he deserves to see out his contract(but in no way should it be extended)

1- inability to work out a plan to beat the simplistic long kick along the line game. North suns and blues losses were as bad as anything Macca served up.
2- MC selection continues to baffle
3- plays his clear favs and dumps the blokes that arent with little chance of a return therefore reducing the actual list number.
4- complete inability to work with people that do not follow his EVERY word and expectation. Unfortunately the number of People who have left the club due to this back this up no matter who much some fans want to pretend it doesn’t.
5- unfortunately seems to run a dictatorship followed by minions by have no balls to stand up to him
6- can he actually coach? One week he pulls off a great effort then losses to Carlton and Norf and throws all that away.

One more year with a completely new coaching panel with finals as the goal and if not then move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My problems with Bev are several but I still think he deserves to see out his contract(but in no way should it be extended)

1- inability to work out a plan to beat the simplistic long kick along the line game. North suns and blues losses were as bad as anything Macca served up.
2- MC selection continues to baffle
3- plays his clear favs and dumps the blokes that arent with little chance of a return therefore reducing the actual list number.
4- complete inability to work with people that do not follow his EVERY word and expectation. Unfortunately the number of People who have left the club due to this back this up no matter who much some fans want to pretend it doesn’t.
5- unfortunately seems to run a dictatorship followed by minions by have no balls to stand up to him
6- can he actually coach? One week he pulls off a great effort then losses to Carlton and Norf and throws all that away.

One more year with a completely new coaching panel with finals as the goal and if not then move him on.

agree on all them points.
concerning thing is how can a premiership coach miss out on finals potentially 3 years after a flag. does that show the importance of murphy, boyd , picken and morris even more? or is bevo overrated ?

I can’t help but wonder what kind of influence, leadership and on-field guidance the senior players had. Especially M Boyd and Picken. If I recall correctly we were doing just enough in the first half of 2017 to win, if not, be competitive in most games. Picken suffered a concussion in Freo and never recovered that form he had displayed from the finals series an early 2017 (watch that goal vs sydney in 2017) and Boyd lost form due to age and injury and wasn’t able to be on the field to provide a cool head in defence. After that we just fell away

I can’t help but wonder what kind of influence, leadership and on-field guidance the senior players had. Especially M Boyd and Picken. If I recall correctly we were doing just enough in the first half of 2017 to win, if not, be competitive in most games. Picken suffered a concussion in Freo and never recovered that form he had displayed from the finals series an early 2017 (watch that goal vs sydney in 2017) and Boyd lost form due to age and injury and wasn’t able to be on the field to provide a cool head in defence. After that we just fell away
Massive issue. Morris back in late 2018 helped no end. The main justification I can think of for bringing in Duryea.

Related to this, Bev was the most outspoken coach against the limitation of runners. Why do you think? Because we consistently put out one of the youngest teams each week. It's probably a decent reason why we've recruited the likes of Duryea and Hayes, when they are probably only negligibly better than younger players already on our list.

Related to this, Bev was the most outspoken coach against the limitation of runners. Why do you think? Because we consistently put out one of the youngest teams each week. It's probably a decent reason why we've recruited the likes of Duryea and Hayes, when they are probably only negligibly better than younger players already on our list.
I’m not sure Hayes falls into that category, he’s still finding his way and probably offers little in terms of on field leadership and direction.

Sometimes you just need a change.
We definitely need a change but I’m reluctant to move Bevo on. We need a massive shake up around him though. We’re really stale. Need to change assistants coaches, performance guys, strength and conditioning guys. I’d be moving on Stephen King, Ash Hansen, Daniel Gianciracusa, Chris Grant, Ben Graham. Have a big list turnover this year. When I say list turnover, I don’t mean just make some delistings and a few retirees and go heavy at the draft. Trade some guys out, go heavy trading in and getting free agents. Go and get Jarryd Roughead on a 1yr playing 3yr coaching deal. See if Jarrad McVeigh wants to move into coaching next year.

We definitely need a change but I’m reluctant to move Bevo on. We need a massive shake up around him though. We’re really stale. Need to change assistants coaches, performance guys, strength and conditioning guys. I’d be moving on Stephen King, Ash Hansen, Daniel Gianciracusa, Chris Grant, Ben Graham. Have a big list turnover this year. When I say list turnover, I don’t mean just make some delistings and a few retirees and go heavy at the draft. Trade some guys out, go heavy trading in and getting free agents. Go and get Jarryd Roughead on a 1yr playing 3yr coaching deal. See if Jarrad McVeigh wants to move into coaching next year.
Agreed , Bevo coachind like it is amatuears , players have seriously let him down as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back